• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- August 28-30, 2020 CANCELED

Posted on the Tail of the Dragon FB page today.

Attention groups and those looking for updates on Fontana Village Resort and Marina:

At this time, the future is uncertain. We have reached out to the newest point of contact for clarity from TVA and have been advised that TVA will be making an official announcement regarding standing reservations, upcoming events, and gift certificates in the coming days as well as a new point of contact for groups.

Posted just now on the Fontana FB page. Looks like a no go thisyear

To all Fontana Village Resort & Marina guest, friends and family,
We want to let you all know that the recent Owners of Fontana Village Resort have decided to surrender their lease back to TVA as of June 1, 2020.
This was a difficult decision for them to make, but due to the recent COVID-19 pandemic and the loss of a big part of the 2020 season they have decided not to continue the lease on the property.
TVA is actively looking at the future for Fontana Village Resort & Marina, but they do not have a planned opening date.
There are a lot of details to work out between both businesses before any announcement can be made.
The very limited staff continues to contact immediate reservations and we ask that you are patient with us as we work through this transition.

I believe this to be the first Event of any type, that was re-scheduled... to suffer C-19 cancelation for all the various reasons.

Just got an email today from the MOA. The event is officially cancelled. You can get a refund or a voucher for other events. Fontana on the other hand has gone silent on refunds for reservations! Time to file a challenge through VISA.

Just got an email today from the MOA. The event is officially cancelled. You can get a refund or a voucher for other events. Fontana on the other hand has gone silent on refunds for reservations! Time to file a challenge through VISA.

That’s what I did a few days ago. We had a deposit on a cabin for about $140. A shame really. The MOA has had an 8 year relationship with the proprietors, only to have them treat our members like this. Hopefully all our members will be treated fairly by their credit card companies.

Thanks Reece. I hope everyone understands this situation is outside the control of the MOA. I’ve stayed at Fontana numerous times over the years and never expected it to end like this. Hopefully another is picked for next year.

Is the resort even a viable entity anymore? I read they lost their lease with the owners of the property. Bankrupt? Dishonest?

They tried to restructure their lease with TVA to attempt to recover some of the loss from the COVID closures. They couldn’t come to an agreement so they relinquished the lease. They have closed since April. Appears they closed up and ran off. No one on the property. Someone will pick up the lease but there will be some downtime. TVA owns the land and structure back from the dam construction days.

They tried to restructure their lease with TVA to attempt to recover some of the loss from the COVID closures. They couldn’t come to an agreement so they relinquished the lease. They have closed since April. Appears they closed up and ran off. No one on the property. Someone will pick up the lease but there will be some downtime. TVA owns the land and structure back from the dam construction days.

So they are defunct and getting a refund is not at all a likely prospect?

Refunds For reservations are very unlikely

Update: Paul I did look up the business holding the lease, Anchor South, through the NC Department of State and the business status is “dissolved”.

I'll give you the short version. Among other things they yanked or refused to issue the permit for the beer garden. No big deal. They overflew the rally with a loudspeaker blaring the "Bad boys, Bad boys" theme from Cops. They set up road blocks to stop riders coming to and going from the site. They took unmarked cars and drove them well below the speed limit. They would pull to the edge and wave riders around, and then light them up and write tickets for passing in a no passing zone. Just your perfect example of To Serve and Protect.

Must have been challenging to keep that RA group under control. Some crazy probably threw a Bing float or, worse, a diaphragm in the campground and it was downhill from that.............

Though I live a few hours away from Deals Gap this will be the first year my wife and I will attend the Getaway. I go up there 3 or 4 times a year and I usually make one run of the Dragon before heading off to other roads. I like the Cherohala Skyway best. Long sweeping corners and little traffic. The Skyway is actually part of the National Park system and the only law enforcement you will see is an occasional Park Ranger. They are spread so thin you rarely see one. There are so many other roads to visit. The cut back at the end of the Skyway back to Deals Gap is a nice country 2 lane. The new section of the Foothills Parkway is now open and has some nice high overlooks. For GS riders there are Parsons Branch Rd and Rich Mountain and both originate in Cades Cove. Parson Branch exits just above Deals Gap and Rich Mountain comes out near Townsend. My favorite day loop is Deals Gap, Foothills Parkway, Hwy 411 through the Smoky Mountains to Cherokee back to Deals Gap.

I was there this past week and rode most of those places. I don't think the skyway was Federal land. I was staying in Gatlinburg and took 321 to around Walland and the Foothills Pky to 129/Deals Gap. I took the whole Foothills Pky back to Wears Valley. The part from 129 is very lightly travelled mid week. I'm mad that I skipped the section from Walland to Wear Valley the first time. All the open bridges and views! Awesome.

Fontana Village Resort has reopened under new ownership.
I received an email confirming my reservation for August 28 - 30th. When I called to cancel, I was told I would be placed on a list of those requesting refunds, to be passed on to the old owners.
Not holding my breath ...

I received the same email. Called and was told they can put me on a refund request list or hold my deposit for another time. I chose option B.
They are opening Monday so we could of had the event.....But totally understand MOA's decision.

I told her to hold my deposit and room request for 2021. Its such a great time I would think it will be a go for next year.

For those of you waiting on refunds on reservation deposits, file a claim with your credit card company. Had my money back for several weeks. The LLC that ran Fontana, Anchor Down, has dissolved per NC Secretary of State Office. No one to get refunds from. I guess you could file a lawsuit against those 2 guys. They used to live in Knoxville TN. Good luck.

Back