Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- August 28-30, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by snotty54 View Post
    I'd be interested in that story, can you relate what happened?
    Scotty

Attachment 78827
    I'll give you the short version. Among other things they yanked or refused to issue the permit for the beer garden. No big deal. They overflew the rally with a loudspeaker blaring the "Bad boys, Bad boys" theme from Cops. They set up road blocks to stop riders coming to and going from the site. They took unmarked cars and drove them well below the speed limit. They would pull to the edge and wave riders around, and then light them up and write tickets for passing in a no passing zone. Just your perfect example of To Serve and Protect.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    In 1997 for the RA rally they had roadblocks north and south of the site, stopping motorcycles with no probable cause. They flew a helicopter over the rally site blaring the Bad Boy theme from Cops. They had statie unmarked cars driving below the speed limit which would pull rightward in no passing zones and wave bikes around and then light them up and give out tickets. Good honest North Carolina policing at its finest - To Serve and Protect they say. I have boycotted the State ever since - not that anybody but me cared.
    Paul: I'd never forget that, just like you. Must've been something that set them off, especially with that music from the helo. Somebody on the force had it in for the RA or Fontana Hotel. That sounds so unusual based on my limited rally experience.

Scotty

crown_riverside.jpg
    Scotty
    BMWMOA 201086
    2018 Extra "Red" RT // 2019 "Blue" F850GSA
    2019 "Green" F850GS // 1998 "Black" Yamaha Virago

Quote Originally Posted by hmfriedman View Post
    Interesting.
    BMWMOA is still advertising the Fontana Getaway in August, 2020 and the resort is holding deposits transferred from original April dates.
    They still have my deposit although I've asked for it back
    Scotty
    BMWMOA 201086
    2018 Extra "Red" RT // 2019 "Blue" F850GSA
    2019 "Green" F850GS // 1998 "Black" Yamaha Virago

Iron horse Motorcycle Lodge said they would be happy to help out. They are much smaller than Fontana for lodging but larger for the camping crowd. Just a thought.
    Marc Kitts
    2010 R1200RT

A meeting between Fontana and TVA will be Monday June 1. At that time we should know more about the status of the Getaway. As of today Fontana remains closed as the rest of the NC mountains are open.
    Marc Kitts
    2010 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by krazyhank View Post
    A meeting between Fontana and TVA will be Monday June 1. At that time we should know more about the status of the Getaway. As of today Fontana remains closed as the rest of the NC mountains are open.
    Hoping for good news on this. We had a great time last year and we're really looking forward to it again. If it falls through, hopefully there will be a plan B. Doesn't seem to be much around that can handle the size group (judging by last year).
    Bill Rorke #200394
    Boiling Springs, SC
    2019 R1250 RT
    2009 R1200 GSA

No official word but as of today they remain closed.
    Marc Kitts
    2010 R1200RT

OK this was just posted on the Graham Star FB site, newspaper for the Fontana region. Not looking good.

We are working to find out enough information to compile a story about the pending vacancy of the Fontana Village Resort and Marina lease, which will more than likely be taken over by the Tennessee Valley Authority.

Another meeting between the two is set for tomorrow.
    Marc Kitts
    2010 R1200RT

Well, if you folks do get to go, check out Cafe Rel in Franklin, NC. I found this place last year on my way to the Rally. Nice ride down Rt 28 which is pretty good MC road. Food at the Cafe is fantastic, worth checking out.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    Well, if you folks do get to go, check out Cafe Rel in Franklin, NC. I found this place last year on my way to the Rally. Nice ride down Rt 28 which is pretty good MC road. Food at the Cafe is fantastic, worth checking out.
    I have heard about this place! Will check it out for sure. I would assume the board is looking into a plan B option for the event (?) And hopefully we can get our room deposits back if Fontana resort remains closed.
    Bill Rorke #200394
    Boiling Springs, SC
    2019 R1250 RT
    2009 R1200 GSA

Posted on the Tail of the Dragon FB page today.

Attention groups and those looking for updates on Fontana Village Resort and Marina:

At this time, the future is uncertain. We have reached out to the newest point of contact for clarity from TVA and have been advised that TVA will be making an official announcement regarding standing reservations, upcoming events, and gift certificates in the coming days as well as a new point of contact for groups.
    Marc Kitts
    2010 R1200RT

Posted just now on the Fontana FB page. Looks like a no go thisyear

To all Fontana Village Resort & Marina guest, friends and family,
    We want to let you all know that the recent Owners of Fontana Village Resort have decided to surrender their lease back to TVA as of June 1, 2020.
    This was a difficult decision for them to make, but due to the recent COVID-19 pandemic and the loss of a big part of the 2020 season they have decided not to continue the lease on the property.
    TVA is actively looking at the future for Fontana Village Resort & Marina, but they do not have a planned opening date.
    There are a lot of details to work out between both businesses before any announcement can be made.
    The very limited staff continues to contact immediate reservations and we ask that you are patient with us as we work through this transition.
    Marc Kitts
    2010 R1200RT

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Unhappy

I believe this to be the first Event of any type, that was re-scheduled... to suffer C-19 cancelation for all the various reasons.
    "travel'n" John... on a 2015 R1200GS / MOA# 102452
    "Keep a steady eye ahead, a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with brakes... for every mile of road there are two miles of the ditch"
    (words of wisdom credited to fellow MOA rider Bill T.)

Just got an email today from the MOA. The event is officially cancelled. You can get a refund or a voucher for other events. Fontana on the other hand has gone silent on refunds for reservations! Time to file a challenge through VISA.
    Marc Kitts
    2010 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by krazyhank View Post
    Just got an email today from the MOA. The event is officially cancelled. You can get a refund or a voucher for other events. Fontana on the other hand has gone silent on refunds for reservations! Time to file a challenge through VISA.
    Thatís what I did a few days ago. We had a deposit on a cabin for about $140. A shame really. The MOA has had an 8 year relationship with the proprietors, only to have them treat our members like this. Hopefully all our members will be treated fairly by their credit card companies.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President