• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- August 28-30, 2020 CANCELED

The wife and I are going regardless. We have a site at the campground booked so we can self isolate along the river. So far other events in the area have not cancelled. It’s still over a month out so we will wait and see how it develops.

Last edited:
MOA Getaway at Fontana Rescheduled for August 28-30

The state of North Carolina issued a ban on events and gatherings of 100 or more people for the next 30 days and every indication is the precautions concerning the COVID-19 pandemic will become more intense later this week. Unfortunately, it will be impossible to hold the MOA Getaway at Fontana on the original dates of April 24-26, 2020.

We have negotiated a new date for the event and rescheduled the MOA Getaway at Fontana for August 28-30, 2020. I fully appreciate that this will not be ideal for everyone who is currently registered, but the new dates are the best opportunity to accommodate as many as possible during these uncertain circumstances. If you have a current registration for the Fontana event or a lodging reservation, there are a few things you should know :

• If the new dates fit your schedule, you don't need to do anything. Your event registration and lodging reservations have been automatically transferred to the new dates.
  • If you would like to confirm the change in your lodging reservation with the Fontana Lodge, please call the Fontana reservations desk at (800) 849-2258. Please give the Fontana Lodge staff a few days to make all the necessary changes.
  • If you prefer to cancel your event registration, you may contact anyone on the membership team at (864) 438-0962 and we will process a full refund of your event fees.
  • If you need to cancel your lodging reservation, please call the Fontana Lodge directly. Fontana Lodge has agreed to accommodate members who must cancel their reservation by offering a gift card toward a future stay for any fees that might be incurred for lodging cancellations.
  • Finally, if you prefer to keep your current lodging dates for your own personal getaway, you will need to contact the Fontana Lodge to rebook the original dates and manage your August dates as necessary. The Lodge is transferring every reservation to the new date unless instructed otherwise.
I am disappointed we were forced to make this change and possibly inconvenience our members. Under the current circumstances, it is the only logical choice and I sincerely hope you can make the August dates. If I can be of service to you, please do not hesitate to call on me.

Looking at our other events, we will make some decisions about our May Getaway events in the next 14-21 days. I am hopeful that we can keep those dates as is, but current actions by local governments are likely to dictate a change. As for the Rally, we are still in full execution mode for an event in June. Any decisions to the contrary would be made in early May based on the current state of affairs at that time. We absolutely do not want to cancel or move the Rally and would really appreciate it if the coronavirus would cooperate!

Ted

The state of North Carolina issued a ban on events and gatherings of 100 or more people for the next 30 days and every indication is the precautions concerning the COVID-19 pandemic will become more intense later this week. Unfortunately, it will be impossible to hold the MOA Getaway at Fontana on the original dates of April 24-26, 2020.

Ted

Ted will the RS winner still be announced on the 25th, or will you announce it at a latter Getaway?

The Completely Vintage raffle drawing will be April 25 as planned. We will broadcast the drawing as we have in the past, although the cameraman will stand at least six feet away!

Ted

Fontana Village Closed

Deals Gap Facebook page is reporting that Fontana Village is not reopening. FYI
Ron

Yep both Tail of the Dragon and Killboy are reporting Fontana is currently closed and there is a good possibility they will remain closed through the end of the year. The property is leased by the TVA and the current lease holders are looking at not renewing.

Interesting.
BMWMOA is still advertising the Fontana Getaway in August, 2020 and the resort is holding deposits transferred from original April dates.

I'm pretty sure things will be better than the fiasco when the RA rally was there in 1997. The sheriff got most of the blame but the State Police were just as complicit.

I'd be interested in that story, can you relate what happened? I had attended the 2018 Fontana but didn't get to ride much. I was scheduled for this one but they aren't opening up the airport where I live until September they say, so won't be able to make it. I'll use the MOA credit for another Getaway this year when I know I can travel to one of my bikes, but I haven't heard back from the hotel on cancelling my deposit, hopefully they'll eventually get to it.

Scotty

red_boat1.jpg

I'd be interested in that story, can you relate what happened?
Scotty

View attachment 78827

I'll give you the short version. Among other things they yanked or refused to issue the permit for the beer garden. No big deal. They overflew the rally with a loudspeaker blaring the "Bad boys, Bad boys" theme from Cops. They set up road blocks to stop riders coming to and going from the site. They took unmarked cars and drove them well below the speed limit. They would pull to the edge and wave riders around, and then light them up and write tickets for passing in a no passing zone. Just your perfect example of To Serve and Protect.

In 1997 for the RA rally they had roadblocks north and south of the site, stopping motorcycles with no probable cause. They flew a helicopter over the rally site blaring the Bad Boy theme from Cops. They had statie unmarked cars driving below the speed limit which would pull rightward in no passing zones and wave bikes around and then light them up and give out tickets. Good honest North Carolina policing at its finest - To Serve and Protect they say. I have boycotted the State ever since - not that anybody but me cared.

Paul: I'd never forget that, just like you. Must've been something that set them off, especially with that music from the helo. Somebody on the force had it in for the RA or Fontana Hotel. That sounds so unusual based on my limited rally experience.

Scotty

crown_riverside.jpg

Iron horse Motorcycle Lodge said they would be happy to help out. They are much smaller than Fontana for lodging but larger for the camping crowd. Just a thought.

A meeting between Fontana and TVA will be Monday June 1. At that time we should know more about the status of the Getaway. As of today Fontana remains closed as the rest of the NC mountains are open.

A meeting between Fontana and TVA will be Monday June 1. At that time we should know more about the status of the Getaway. As of today Fontana remains closed as the rest of the NC mountains are open.

Hoping for good news on this. We had a great time last year and we're really looking forward to it again. If it falls through, hopefully there will be a plan B. Doesn't seem to be much around that can handle the size group (judging by last year).

OK this was just posted on the Graham Star FB site, newspaper for the Fontana region. Not looking good.

We are working to find out enough information to compile a story about the pending vacancy of the Fontana Village Resort and Marina lease, which will more than likely be taken over by the Tennessee Valley Authority.

Another meeting between the two is set for tomorrow.

Well, if you folks do get to go, check out Cafe Rel in Franklin, NC. I found this place last year on my way to the Rally. Nice ride down Rt 28 which is pretty good MC road. Food at the Cafe is fantastic, worth checking out.

Well, if you folks do get to go, check out Cafe Rel in Franklin, NC. I found this place last year on my way to the Rally. Nice ride down Rt 28 which is pretty good MC road. Food at the Cafe is fantastic, worth checking out.

I have heard about this place! Will check it out for sure. I would assume the board is looking into a plan B option for the event (?) And hopefully we can get our room deposits back if Fontana resort remains closed.

Back