Thread: MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- August 28-30, 2020 CANCELED

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- August 28-30, 2020 CANCELED

Deep in the mountains, the Fontana Getaway is posted here:

https://www.bmwmoa.org/event/fontana2020
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

We're signed up. We've enjoyed the resort and the roads in the area (in 2018 / 19).
    Also wanted to actually stay in the Lodge for once. Hope Y'all can come!

Merry Christmas Y'all, and make it a Happy New Decade!
    HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

Here comes Mrs-K on her F650GS returning to the resort on Route 28.
    NC-F650GS-small.jpeg

I'm pretty sure things will be better than the fiasco when the RA rally was there in 1997. The sheriff got most of the blame but the State Police were just as complicit.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I've attended the Fontana Getaway twice. It's a fun event with all kinds of great riding to do. There can be some heavy police presence on the Tail of the Dragon (US129). I think that's usually on the weekend, so getting there a couple of days earlier or staying later can be helpful. That kind of timing removes a lot of sport bikes and 4-wheelers from the area. I recall that a group of Volvo V60 drivers was staying in the Fontana Lodge at the same time as the MOA Getaway both times I was there.
    Last edited by ExGMan; 01-24-2020 at 10:49 PM.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    I've attended the Fontana Getaway twice. It's a fun event with all kinds of great riding to do. There can be some heavy police presence on the Tail of the Dragon (US129). I think that's usually on the weekend, so getting there a couple of days earlier or staying later can be helpful. That kind of timing removes a lot of sport bikes and 4-wheelers from the area. I seems to recall that a group of Volvo V60 drivers was staying in the Fontana Lodge at the same time as the MOA Getaway both times I was there.
    In 1997 for the RA rally they had roadblocks north and south of the site, stopping motorcycles with no probable cause. They flew a helicopter over the rally site blaring the Bad Boy theme from Cops. They had statie unmarked cars driving below the speed limit which would pull rightward in no passing zones and wave bikes around and then light them up and give out tickets. Good honest North Carolina policing at its finest - To Serve and Protect they say. I have boycotted the State ever since - not that anybody but me cared.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

We've very much enjoyed the roads and the Getaway during the past two years. Have not been bothered whatsoever by any Gendarmes.
    We also took the long way SW to Tellico Plains for a good lunch, headed north for a nice tour of The Lost Sea Adventure, and then returned 'expeditiously' via US 129. https://thelostsea.com

What happened years ago at one RA Rally is now water over the Fontana Dam.
    Do-Do happens; maybe the MOA just has better luck...
    Ciao!
    HSV-Phil + HSV-Karen

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    .... I have boycotted the State ever since - not that anybody but me cared.
    We were there at the BMWRA that year and it was bad, but to boycott the entire state for 22 years over what was mostly a local county action is a bit extreme. You're the one missing out on some of the finest roads in the entire country, but that's OK. It's your choice.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

In 1997 for the RA rally they had roadblocks north and south of the site, stopping motorcycles with no probable cause. They flew a helicopter over the rally site blaring the Bad Boy theme from Cops. They had statie unmarked cars driving below the speed limit which would pull rightward in no passing zones and wave bikes around and then light them up and give out tickets. Good honest North Carolina policing at its finest - To Serve and Protect they say. I have boycotted the State ever since - not that anybody but me cared.
    Paul: I'd never forget that, just like you. Must've been something that set them off, especially with that music from the helo. Somebody on the force had it in for the RA or Fontana Hotel. That sounds so unusual based on my limited rally experience.

Scotty

crown_riverside.jpg
    Scotty
    BMWMOA 201086
    "Red" RT //"Blue" F850GSA//"Green" F850GS
    "Black" Virago//"Shred" S1000XR//"Snow" S1000XR

I'm pretty sure things will be better than the fiasco when the RA rally was there in 1997. The sheriff got most of the blame but the State Police were just as complicit.
    I'd be interested in that story, can you relate what happened? I had attended the 2018 Fontana but didn't get to ride much. I was scheduled for this one but they aren't opening up the airport where I live until September they say, so won't be able to make it. I'll use the MOA credit for another Getaway this year when I know I can travel to one of my bikes, but I haven't heard back from the hotel on cancelling my deposit, hopefully they'll eventually get to it.

Scotty

red_boat1.jpg
    Scotty
    BMWMOA 201086
    "Red" RT //"Blue" F850GSA//"Green" F850GS
    "Black" Virago//"Shred" S1000XR//"Snow" S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by snotty54 View Post
    I'd be interested in that story, can you relate what happened?
    Scotty

red_boat1.jpg
    I'll give you the short version. Among other things they yanked or refused to issue the permit for the beer garden. No big deal. They overflew the rally with a loudspeaker blaring the "Bad boys, Bad boys" theme from Cops. They set up road blocks to stop riders coming to and going from the site. They took unmarked cars and drove them well below the speed limit. They would pull to the edge and wave riders around, and then light them up and write tickets for passing in a no passing zone. Just your perfect example of To Serve and Protect.

Rally Rat
    I'll give you the short version. Among other things they yanked or refused to issue the permit for the beer garden. No big deal. They overflew the rally with a loudspeaker blaring the "Bad boys, Bad boys" theme from Cops. They set up road blocks to stop riders coming to and going from the site. They took unmarked cars and drove them well below the speed limit. They would pull to the edge and wave riders around, and then light them up and write tickets for passing in a no passing zone. Just your perfect example of To Serve and Protect.
    Must have been challenging to keep that RA group under control. Some crazy probably threw a Bing float or, worse, a diaphragm in the campground and it was downhill from that.............

The Completely Vintage raffle drawing will be April 25 as planned. We will broadcast the drawing as we have in the past, although the cameraman will stand at least six feet away!

Ted
    Ted Moyer
    '12 DL650, '06 R1200RT, '78 R100RS Motosport, '72 XL250, '83 RZ350, '94 KLX650, '80 GS850G

Thanks Ted.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Fontana Village Closed

Deals Gap Facebook page is reporting that Fontana Village is not reopening. FYI
    Ron
    Ride whatever makes you smile! Every bike has it's own issues, problems and annoyances...

Yep both Tail of the Dragon and Killboy are reporting Fontana is currently closed and there is a good possibility they will remain closed through the end of the year. The property is leased by the TVA and the current lease holders are looking at not renewing.
    Marc Kitts
    2010 R1200RT