Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- August 28-30, 2020 CANCELED

Thanks Reece. I hope everyone understands this situation is outside the control of the MOA. I’ve stayed at Fontana numerous times over the years and never expected it to end like this. Hopefully another is picked for next year.
    Marc Kitts
    2010 R1200RT

Is the resort even a viable entity anymore? I read they lost their lease with the owners of the property. Bankrupt? Dishonest?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

They tried to restructure their lease with TVA to attempt to recover some of the loss from the COVID closures. They couldn’t come to an agreement so they relinquished the lease. They have closed since April. Appears they closed up and ran off. No one on the property. Someone will pick up the lease but there will be some downtime. TVA owns the land and structure back from the dam construction days.
    Marc Kitts
    2010 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by krazyhank View Post
    They tried to restructure their lease with TVA to attempt to recover some of the loss from the COVID closures. They couldn’t come to an agreement so they relinquished the lease. They have closed since April. Appears they closed up and ran off. No one on the property. Someone will pick up the lease but there will be some downtime. TVA owns the land and structure back from the dam construction days.
    So they are defunct and getting a refund is not at all a likely prospect?
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Refunds For reservations are very unlikely

Update: Paul I did look up the business holding the lease, Anchor South, through the NC Department of State and the business status is “dissolved”.
    Marc Kitts
    2010 R1200RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    The tentacles of this virus problem extend through many levels.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Refunds For reservations are very unlikely

Update: Paul I did look up the business holding the lease, Anchor South, through the NC Department of State and the business status is “dissolved”.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I'll give you the short version. Among other things they yanked or refused to issue the permit for the beer garden. No big deal. They overflew the rally with a loudspeaker blaring the "Bad boys, Bad boys" theme from Cops. They set up road blocks to stop riders coming to and going from the site. They took unmarked cars and drove them well below the speed limit. They would pull to the edge and wave riders around, and then light them up and write tickets for passing in a no passing zone. Just your perfect example of To Serve and Protect.
    Must have been challenging to keep that RA group under control. Some crazy probably threw a Bing float or, worse, a diaphragm in the campground and it was downhill from that.............
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Must have been challenging to keep that RA group under control. Some crazy probably threw a Bing float or, worse, a diaphragm in the campground and it was downhill from that.............
    That’s funny right there.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Though I live a few hours away from Deals Gap this will be the first year my wife and I will attend the Getaway. I go up there 3 or 4 times a year and I usually make one run of the Dragon before heading off to other roads. I like the Cherohala Skyway best. Long sweeping corners and little traffic. The Skyway is actually part of the National Park system and the only law enforcement you will see is an occasional Park Ranger. They are spread so thin you rarely see one. There are so many other roads to visit. The cut back at the end of the Skyway back to Deals Gap is a nice country 2 lane. The new section of the Foothills Parkway is now open and has some nice high overlooks. For GS riders there are Parsons Branch Rd and Rich Mountain and both originate in Cades Cove. Parson Branch exits just above Deals Gap and Rich Mountain comes out near Townsend. My favorite day loop is Deals Gap, Foothills Parkway, Hwy 411 through the Smoky Mountains to Cherokee back to Deals Gap.

I was there this past week and rode most of those places. I don't think the skyway was Federal land. I was staying in Gatlinburg and took 321 to around Walland and the Foothills Pky to 129/Deals Gap. I took the whole Foothills Pky back to Wears Valley. The part from 129 is very lightly travelled mid week. I'm mad that I skipped the section from Walland to Wear Valley the first time. All the open bridges and views! Awesome.

Following this thread...