• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R18 Motor Details

Air/oil cooled, actually—same as boxers prior to the waterheads. It may not be an engine or a bike that would entice me into a purchase, but I support it’s development and marketing if for no other reason than profits from this bike will help subsidize production of other models that hold more appeal to me personally. I like any product that helps Motorrad stay in business and producing their products that I am most fond of. :thumb

Best,
DeVern

Pictures blurred, not interesting.

Not blurred for me and it had some facts I had not read before.

HP and torque figures were given
It's dual plugged
Two cams, one for each cylinder
Even though the compression ratio is fairly low, 9.6:1, it requires 91 to 93 AKI fuel. I wonder if 91 to 93 is correct?

Pics are slow to load and clear once they load fully.

Kevin Cameron authored the article and he’s a precise and well-respected MC tech author, so unless BMW was blowing smoke on the fuel requirements (highly unlikely) I’d consider the fuel numbers accurate. A cylinder that size means a huge flame front to deal with, even with dual intakes and plugs, and I’m sure the designers are well aware of the cruiser rider’s tendency to short-shift a torquey motor, both factors that could weigh into the fuel requirements.

Best,
DeVern

Even though the compression ratio is fairly low, 9.6:1, it requires 91 to 93 AKI fuel. I wonder if 91 to 93 is correct?

Giant cylinder with less-than-optimum head design (2-valve) necessitates high octane.

But like I've said it before - there's something about the /2 that turns my crank. And I'm the last guy to have expected that comment from me. :laugh

Giant cylinder with less-than-optimum head design (2-valve) necessitates high octane.

But like I've said it before - there's something about the /2 that turns my crank. And I'm the last guy to have expected that comment from me. :laugh

This engine has 4 valves/cylinder

Oh

OH, my.

It did not work in the title, but in the message body the letters remained as typed. OH, well.

HO, HO, HO, everybody! And OH, OH, OH, to the humorous members, too.

Back