• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Yet another GS911 question

W7lej1

Kindly curmudgeon
Hi Folks, I am seeing the “upgrade from your yellow GS911” promotions. My question - I own an ‘08 R1200RT, and I’m unlikely to upgrade machines before I need to retire from riding. As best I can tell, the “new, improved” red GS911 does not offer any additional features or performance applicable to my bike. Am I understanding correctly? Just want to be sure before I pass on the upgrade offer.

Thanks for any additional insights!

Marty

I may be wrong, and I'm sure others will chime in, but I believe the only difference is WiFi capability.

Joe

I may be wrong, and I'm sure others will chime in, but I believe the only difference is WiFi capability.

Joe

The latest models have the connection for an OBDII interface on the latest models. If you don't get such a bike you don't "need" a new unit. Even if you did, they offer an adaptor cable for the ten pin to OBDII. The latest OBDII compliant models come with WiFi and with USB connectivity in one unit and with just USB in another.

The latest models have the connection for an OBDII interface on the latest models. If you don't get such a bike you don't "need" a new unit. Even if you did, they offer an adaptor cable for the ten pin to OBDII. The latest OBDII compliant models come with WiFi and with USB connectivity in one unit and with just USB in another.

The original yellow units will not work with the new OBD-II bikes even with the cable. The cable will allow the newer 10 pin wifi unit to be used with the OBD-II connection. You can also get an adapter cable to convert the OBD-II connector model to 10 pin.

Thanks to all for your help and insights! I’ll keep my yellow GS911, it will serve me just fine.

Back