• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help me buy a bike

F650cs

You might want to take a look at a F650CS. Built from 2003 thru 2007 they have the fuel injected Rotax single with a belt drive. 17” cast wheels so you have tubeless tires in popular sizes. Bought mine two years ago with 1900 miles for $1200. Needed tires, battery, and fuel pump ( don’t park a bike with a tank of ethanol fuel). Could easily buy a low mile example with no needs for $2500. 60-70 mpg, cruises easily at 75. Weighs about 430 lbs, has 50 hp. Narrow and sharp handling. Most have ABS. Seats are not the greatest, but might work for you.

K 75’s are great bikes, but the newest ones are 24 years old. You will need to replace most of the rubber parts if that has not been done already. Take a hard look at the fuel pump support and bottom tank edge if it’s used ethanol fuel constantly. Seen tanks that seeped from corrosion issues.

You might want to take a look at a F650CS. Built from 2003 thru 2007 they have the fuel injected Rotax single with a belt drive. 17” cast wheels so you have tubeless tires in popular sizes. Bought mine two years ago with 1900 miles for $1200. Needed tires, battery, and fuel pump ( don’t park a bike with a tank of ethanol fuel). Could easily buy a low mile example with no needs for $2500. 60-70 mpg, cruises easily at 75. Weighs about 430 lbs, has 50 hp. Narrow and sharp handling. Most have ABS. Seats are not the greatest, but might work for you.

K 75’s are great bikes, but the newest ones are 24 years old. You will need to replace most of the rubber parts if that has not been done already. Take a hard look at the fuel pump support and bottom tank edge if it’s used ethanol fuel constantly. Seen tanks that seeped from corrosion issues.

I'm liking that suggestion of the F650CS more and more. The bike is relatively light, narrow, with plenty of HP for what I want it for. I also like the simplicity and reliability of the belt drive, and finally pricing seems to be very reasonable.

Chuck: did you really mean you bought yours for $1,200 with 1,900 miles, or was that a typo? Did you mean to say 19,000 miles?

Thanks - Samer

I'm liking that suggestion of the F650CS more and more. The bike is relatively light, narrow, with plenty of HP for what I want it for. I also like the simplicity and reliability of the belt drive, and finally pricing seems to be very reasonable.

Chuck: did you really mean you bought yours for $1,200 with 1,900 miles, or was that a typo? Did you mean to say 19,000 miles?

Thanks - Samer

I suspect his numbers are accurate. The F650CS models don’t pop up very often on the used market around here, but when they do they tend to be remarkably affordable. His deal was VERY good, but I’ve seen some advertised that weren’t too far off, either.

From what I have learned, they were partially intended/sold as an introductory bike, to get people started in motorcycling. They were also marketed as a good city/urban commuter bike. They had a relatively low price point (for BMW) and some of them did not seem to get ridden a great deal.

It has a handy storage area where the tank normally is (tank is under seat.) But not big enough for a helmet, unfortunately (you’d have to get a Honda NC-700/750X for that.)

Thanks - Samer

Yes turned over to 1900 miles during test ride. Bought it at the end of the season 2 years ago. A very interesting ride with a snatch engine and 15 year old OEM tires!
Included a electric liner and perfed leather jacket. Bike ran badly due to leaky hose in the tank. Fixed that and added an R12 injector. Runs smoothly and strongly now.
Take a look on cycletrader and see what they sell for. Several in my area have sold for less than $2500.

My 2 cents on buying used bikes.
If your patient and in no hurry you can find some incredible deals out there like the one above.
I own three motorcycles and I can be what they call Thrifty.
All three were incredibly cheap; way below bluebook.
Just keep looking and you'll find something you'll like at a Great price.
People buy bikes, ride them a bit, decide its not for them, leave them in the garage for X- amount of time and then dump them. Garage kept, low mile machines, CHEAP, are out there, looking for a new home.
Stored inside is a key factor for me, I like my things nice, look at those bikes Chunk has, now those are NICE.
Merry Christmas!

Back