• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100GS PD LED Tail Light ???

leafman60

Who makes the best (brightest) LED board tail light insert for the R100GS bikes?????

Has anyone tried an LED 1157 bulb ? These may provide more side angle visibility than the flat LED boards that pretty-well orient their light output to the rear.

Rick Jones at Motorrad Elektrik makes a very bright LED tail / brake light assembly for the R100GS. I have one on my R100GS/PD. It is much brighter and more secure (won't shake loose) than the LED bulb options.

Beacon Airhead Tail Light NEW! $49.95 1981 through 1995 R80G/S, R100GS, and R80ST
http://www.motoelekt.com/lighting.htm

R80R100tail.jpg

I've experimented with several LED versions of the 1157, those available at your common local auto parts store, on my bike and a few others.

In the great majority of cases, they did NOT "Fill" the tail or brake light lens, including those with LED cells on the sides - most LEDs are too directional, even those advertised as "wide dispersion". The resulting view from the rear was actually a SMALLER illuminated area. A multi-LED assembly is much preferable to a single bulb.

One exception is that I have converted the tail/license plate light in my bike (1150RT, look up how the assembly is configured as one unit) to dual filament; there is not much clearance to the inner surface of the lens, and not a "lot" of light is required there, so that one is a commercial LED. The upper brake light is also dual filament - incandescent to fill it up - the slightly higher power version of the 1157 (2357? I forget offhand). When I hit the brakes, you can see a tiny difference in how quickly they turn on; I believe that this little "extra action" helps make me different from the other lights that drivers behind me see.

Rick Jones at Motorrad Elektrik makes a very bright LED tail / brake light assembly for the R100GS. I have one on my R100GS/PD. It is much brighter and more secure (won't shake loose) than the LED bulb options.

+1 on the Motorrad Elektrik's Beacon LED tail/brake light boards. I've had them in both of my airheads ('84 R100RT and '91 R100) for years without issue, and they are much brighter than stock bulbs. With the smaller tail light fixture on the GS bikes, I'd think the improvement gained from the GS/ST version would be even more dramatic, and a prudent safety upgrade. Not as inexpensive as a replacement bulb, but money well spent, IMHO.

Konrad

Motorrad Electrik

I have to say, Rick at ME, is very good to deal with in all things I have purchased from him.

I have two LED tail light units. One, the smaller one replaces the single bulb taillight on my 78 R100RS. MUCH better than the 1157 bulb. It has a good array. of lights that can be seen very clearly from any angle behind the bike. Also, there are LED to light the number plate.

My 84, R80RT has the two bulb replacement. Again, well worth the money MUCH brighter and the plate is illuminated well.

There are a lot of cheaper ways to go such as the LED replacement bulbs however, they do not work nearly as well.

Another kudos is the LED system eliminates the bulb socket system which in some cases can corrode and fail.

The lights from Rick are very much worth the money. Add to the purchase, the customer service and you cannot go wrong. St.

Back