Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R 1200 RT (2011) starts but shuts down after 1 second.

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    Those Oetiker clamps are a bear for me, I finally broke down and ordered a pair of specialty pliers to work with them, some guys can get them on and off with pump pliers or long nose pliers, I'm to ham fisted apparently. I don't have any experience using worm screws clamps in place of them but I would recommend you order the correct clamps, Max BMW has them for $4.00 or so each, and they seal better than the worm screw clamps. Glad to hear you didn't touch any screws on the throttle body, don't, your bike was running before you disassembled it, it will run again, just need to find out what component is not going back together the same as before.
    You're not the only one. I bought the special pliers too when I replaced my clutch.

I believe that having the right tool for the right job makes it a lot easier (And enjoyable)

YMMV
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2007 R1200RT - IBA # 56396

Shut down

2 times in many years had the exact problem . Both times fuel delivery system problem. Once sucking air. Due to a tiny crack in In a copper fuel line no leak sucking air. Next time a bad pet cock.
    Usually the simple things

This afternoon on the advice of Dirtrider (BMW Sport Touring forum), I cleared the adaptive values again and went through the reset process. I also did the throttle reset process as well. The bike is able to run on its own now with no continual throttle adjustments but the idle is about 1800 rpm.

It feels like a bound up throttle cable or an air leak. .??

Tomorrow the gas tank will be removed once again in order to check cable routing or binding?? I also plan opening cable splitter box to see if there are any obvious problems with the cable ends.

I checked the air tube clamps - they seem to airtight. There are oetiker clamps on either side of the throttle body and a screw type hose clamp securing the air tube to the air box. Iíll look again tomorrow.

Thanks again for suggestions and encouragement- I am definitely making progress with the help of this forum and Dirtrider of the BMW Sport Touring forum.

05bigray
    In your reply you mentioned having an air leak causing your bikes rough running.. do you recall where the air leak was or what component was creating the leak.
    Thanks
    Bill

I sure sounds like your on the correct path and your next moves sound solid. You'll get it.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Having had it happen to me, I can tell you that the fuel injection shuts down if any of the fuel hose fittings are loose. Mine had a return line come loose and it stopped. They should be easy to check.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Sucking air

Quote Originally Posted by ranger46 View Post
    05bigray
    In your reply you mentioned having an air leak causing your bikes rough running.. do you recall where the air leak was or what component was creating the leak.
    Thanks
    Bill
    There was a small bend in the fuel line as it attached to the fuel pump about 30 degree bent at the turn a minute crack developed engine ran for 1 or 2 seconds and shut down no gas.Finally removed the fuel line from pump no gas present checked line crack was barely visible.Replaced all ok.