Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nav VI problem

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    John, my observation has been that at least some of the issues I've experienced with these units (others have reported similar issues), seem to be traceable to the GPS unit's internal connection to the 18-pin connector on the back of the unit, but this is not unique to the Nav-Vi or V as it is the same connector on the Zumo models like the 595LM. No idea if they have any issues or not.

The reason I say this is because the GPS units for the power issues typically don't exhibit a problem while removed from the bike mount but do while mounted on a bike. Secondly, when switching a properly working unit and a problem unit between bikes it is only the problem unit that exhibits any issues, therefore it would appear that the bike mounts are working.
    I deleted saved tracks, did a screen calibration, still same issue. Added an SD card for more memory - still did it. Did a master system reset, still same issue. Removed from cradle and ran off battery on a jeep ride - same issue. What's weird is it worked perfectly without ever doing it until one day when I loaded several tracks it started doing it so I hoped it was a memory issue. Not the case. Ever since that day it's been doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by hmfriedman View Post
    The Garmin support rep didn't even want to walk me through the tests or send me to a local dealer to confirm the problem. He told me to just send it back and they will send a replacement.

BTW - I tried the reboot and other tests that I found on the Garmin website; didn't do anything.
    Just two followup questions: 1) Did you receive the new unit and 2) How is it working?
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo/via Walt Kelly

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tsteenhoek View Post
    I deleted saved tracks, did a screen calibration, still same issue. Added an SD card for more memory - still did it. Did a master system reset, still same issue. Removed from cradle and ran off battery on a jeep ride - same issue. What's weird is it worked perfectly without ever doing it until one day when I loaded several tracks it started doing it so I hoped it was a memory issue. Not the case. Ever since that day it's been doing it.
    If your issue is the same as outlined in the OP, then I would suggest that your unit is displaying one of the typical reactions to a unit that needs to be replaced. A call to Garmin Support should get you an RMA and instructions on how to proceed. If you can't wait for them to receive your unit and ship out a replacement Garmin will "cross-ship" by charging your credit card for the replacement (at a net-cost) and will refund/reverse the charge when they receive the faulty unit that you ship to them. A bonus to using that method is that you just use their packaging that the replacement came in to return your unit.

Don't fall into the age-old trap of confusing coincidence with causality. The fact that "when I loaded several tracks it started doing it". Does not necessarily mean that was the cause, only that that is the time the issue presented itself. Naturally, when something like that occurs we suspect what was changed or done immediately preceding the failure was the culprit and it is appropriate to investigate, but not necessarily related. With the testing you have done, I would suggest you let Garmin Support know. It is frustrating that folks are still having these issues, but, at least Garmin have been very good at responding to them for me and the majority of those I've run across with similar issues. Hope yours gets straightened out quickly and satisfactorily. Keep us posted.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando