Thread: Nav VI problem

Nav VI problem

On attempted use the other day, the map on my nearly 2 year old Navigator VI was vibrating and the unit would not accept any input by touch or from the wonderwheel. The unit could not even be shut off except by removing the battery door.

At home after the ride, I attempted various reboots and screen recalibration; nothing really fixed the problem. Every once in a while during my efforts, the unit seemed to work just right for a minute or two, then didn't again; random changes of screens, rebooted instead of shutting down, no input from the screen. You name it.

When I called Garmin support and told them only that my Nav VI had lost its mind, the tech support guy described the problems before I could say another word, and told me to send my Nav VI back for warranty replacement. So, I'm guessing this is a known problem; has anyone else here had similar?

Needless to say, I hope Garmin has worked out the bugs ...

I had something similar happen with my 2 year old NAV VI a few months ago. In my case it did shut down normally. The odd behavior came back a few times before seeming to stop permanently. Good to know Garmin is addressing the problem.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Garmin has been excellent in their response to complaints about the Nav VI and both my brother and I are on unit #2. I just had a glitch in mine but a reboot has fixed it so far.... One can hope..
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

Same problem/hard reset solved

I had the same issue; eventually had to do a hard reset.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...9L4qzpvROpQ1R8

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    I'm on Nav-VI unit #3. Contact Garmin. They will walk you through the standard tests to see if just a reboot, etc., will fix things and if not they will review and if needed provide you with a replacement. They will cross-ship if time is an issue (putting a temporary charge on your credit card).

As mentioned, Garmin has been great on handling it. Much prefer that there wasn't anything to handle but that's life. The units are great and I use many of the features so not planning on switching to anything else.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    I'm on Nav-VI unit #3. Contact Garmin. They will walk you through the standard tests to see if just a reboot, etc., will fix things and if not they will review and if needed provide you with a replacement. They will cross-ship if time is an issue (putting a temporary charge on your credit card).

As mentioned, Garmin has been great on handling it. Much prefer that there wasn't anything to handle but that's life. The units are great and I use many of the features so not planning on switching to anything else.
    The Garmin support rep didn't even want to walk me through the tests or send me to a local dealer to confirm the problem. He told me to just send it back and they will send a replacement.

BTW - I tried the reboot and other tests that I found on the Garmin website; didn't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by hmfriedman View Post
    The Garmin support rep didn't even want to walk me through the tests or send me to a local dealer to confirm the problem. He told me to just send it back and they will send a replacement.

BTW - I tried the reboot and other tests that I found on the Garmin website; didn't do anything.
    Ditto here; I've just posted my 2nd Nav IV back to Olathe, KS. They indicated in their email another will be shipped. Something about the Serial# told The Guy it was manufactured in a batch with known screen problems. They have all my details on record. T'would be nice if they were proactive, and contacted us owners regarding Known Manufacturing Defects -- similar to automobile recalls.

Ain't gonna happen; that makes way too much sense!

Ciao, HSV-Phil

Quote Originally Posted by HSVPhil View Post
    [SIZE=3]Ditto here; I've just posted my 2nd Nav IV back to Olathe, KS.
    Did you mean Nav VI?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Did you mean Nav VI?
    Mais, OUI! Roman numerals are just so 1st century!
    Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa monsieur.....

Garmin support

I've had many Garmin products for almost 20 years. For my boats, motorcycles, cars & trucks, handhelds and now In Reach. I've used their support a hand full of times to my complete satisfaction. Earlier this year had an issue with my nav 6. Described the problem and they immediately decided to replace the unit which I received 2-3 days later, obviously I sent back the malfunctioning unit. I understand stuff happens and they've come through every time.
    Janda
    2014 GSA
    2011 R1200R [sold]

Quote Originally Posted by hmfriedman View Post

Mine is less than 2 years old and started exhibiting screen issues. Nothing worked during reset or screen calibration. The Garmin rep gave me an RMA to send it back for replacement. Great support in my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk