• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

86 K75C valve adjustment questions

jad01

I am doing my first valve adjustments on my K75C (currently about 53K miles; I don't know if/when the valves may have been checked/adjusted prior to my ownership) and have a couple of observations and questions:

-This is my first time doing an adjustment on this bike (or any with a shim/bucket arrangement). I'm using both a Climber and Haynes manual to guide me. I have the special BMW tools to do the adjustment and an assortment of shims. I found that the exhaust valves were all tight (0.006 inches relative to the specification of 0.010-0.012 inches). The #3 cylinder intake valve is also slightly tight (0.005 inches relative to the spec of 0.006- 0.008 inches). The #1 and #2 cylinders are at 0.006 inches. I had the shims to get the exhaust valves all to 0.011 inches (I completed those adjustments yesterday), and I think I have the shim to get the #3 intake valve within spec. My question is should I also adjust the #1 & 2 intake valves since they are on the low end of the specification?

- When I pulled the valve cover gasket (rubber seal) off, there was a black film left behind on the head in each corner (see photos). Should I remove it or leave it in place when I put the gasket and cover back on? Is it some sort of silicone adhesive to "locate" the gasket correctly before placing the gasket and cover back on the head?

- Any other advice is welcome before I button this back up...:help:beer

Attachments

• Valve adj.jpg
    Valve adj.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 65
  • corner sealant.jpg
    corner sealant.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
It is optional whether you adjust those 2 intake valves. They are usually so stable that they are unlikely to get out of spec any time soon.

That sealant is placed where there is a seam between two parts that the valve cover seals against. A light smear of Permatex Ultra Gray or similar would be my choice, right on top of what is there.

Chris Harris has a nice video that walks you through each step.

Personally I always removed the previous corner gasket material with a paper towel or soft plastic scraper (old library card), but if Paul says it's okay, then you'll be fine :)

I also put a thin piece of wood under the clutch-side of the center stand while putting the cover back on. This prevents any remaining oil from running over the lip and into your gasket sealer or rubber gasket.

It is optional whether you adjust those 2 intake valves. They are usually so stable that they are unlikely to get out of spec any time soon.

That sealant is placed where there is a seam between two parts that the valve cover seals against. A light smear of Permatex Ultra Gray or similar would be my choice, right on top of what is there.

Ok, thank you- I appreciate your insight! I have some Three Bond in the cabinet (better than Two Bond, I think...:heh); maybe I can try that (?) or I'll head up to the parts store for some Permatex.

Chris Harris has a nice video that walks you through each step.

Personally I always removed the previous corner gasket material with a paper towel or soft plastic scraper (old library card), but if Paul says it's okay, then you'll be fine :)

I also put a thin piece of wood under the clutch-side of the center stand while putting the cover back on. This prevents any remaining oil from running over the lip and into your gasket sealer or rubber gasket.

Thank you! The video was helpful and I appreciate the tip about the shim under the center stand!

Thank you both! :beer

Back