• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Front Tires 1250 GS

apbehnen

I own a 1250 GS, and after 5,000 miles have had to have my front tire (Bridgestone Battleax Adventure) replaced by the dealership. The rear tire is still in good shape. The dealer told me that is what they have been seeing the front tires last on the new 1250's. Anyone have any idea why the front tire wares faster than the rear. I always thought it would be just the opposite. I check my tire pressures before each ride, and the bike has no alignment or balance issues.

Just MHO, but the dealers only get to specify “street” or “dirt” tires when ordering a bike. I don’t think your front tire issue is a *bike* issue, it’s purely a tire issue. Not surprising with the Battleax tire IMHO. Mount up a fresh set of higher-grade (cough—Michelin—cough) tires and improve both performance and life of your tires.

Best,
DeVern

Front tire wear

Purchased '19 R1250GSA and only got 8,500 miles and it was toast. Still have rear on with over 12K. Never had that happen before.

Mine were gone after 8K miles as well and I have a 2018 1200 GSA. The replacement Michelin Anakee Adv tires are, so far, much better.

Conti or Metzeler, please

I own a 1250 GS, and after 5,000 miles have had to have my front tire (Bridgestone Battleax Adventure) replaced by the dealership. The rear tire is still in good shape.

I'm not a fan of Bridgestone from OEM use back 20 or so years. My 2017 r1200gs now has 18,000 and change miles on the OEM Metzeler tourance next and has about 3/32 of tread left on it's front tire.
I am a big fan of Metzeler and Continental tires. Also consider that continental tires has a free towing plan if you have a flat tire with continental tires. See dealer or continental for details.
David

I'm not a fan of Bridgestone from OEM use back 20 or so years.

That is interesting. Voni's 1994 R1100RS (Big Red) came with Bridgestone Battleax BT50 tires. They stuck well, performed well in the rain, averaged 9,044 miles per tire front and rear and were, along with a few BT54 tires, what we used for the first 289,000 miles on that bike. By 2003 we wanted better mileage for the Iron Butt Rally so switched to Metzeler ME880s for a few sets until 2013. We are now using Michelin Pilot Road tires. That was 64 Bridgestone tires, 13 Metzeler tires, and 8 Michelin tires for an overall average of 9,765 per tire. The Metzelers averaged 10,827 miles per tire and the Michelins have averaged 13,797 miles.

Some of these numbers are slightly skewed by four flat tires replaced before worn out.

Tire technology certainly has improved over the past 35 years.

Last edited:
I feel your pain, same issue with mine A41, hate those. Replaced with Continental after 8K miles. Never happened to me before on other bikes, however, some folks on different forum said it's pretty common on GSA...

IMG_20190810_162409.jpg

go with the michelins

I own a 1250 GS, and after 5,000 miles have had to have my front tire (Bridgestone Battleax Adventure) replaced by the dealership. The rear tire is still in good shape. The dealer told me that is what they have been seeing the front tires last on the new 1250's. Anyone have any idea why the front tire wares faster than the rear. I always thought it would be just the opposite. I check my tire pressures before each ride, and the bike has no alignment or balance issues.

my 2019 r1250gsa now has 8000 miles- and both tires still have some rubber left. plan to replace next month in anticipation of another long ride mid march!

This seems to be very common with the newer BMW's. The first time I'd heard of the front tire wearing out first was with my buddy's K1600GT. He routinely had the front wear first. We were both shocked but that is the same pattern we are seeing with our wet head RT's and GS's. We both have an RT and GS and on them are seeing the front tire wear at the same rate or faster than the rear. Never saw this on my 1100, 1150 or 1200 Hex Head BMW's.

In addition we are seeing overall tire wear much sooner than with prior BMW boxer bikes. A good run on a Wet Head for me is probably 8,000+ miles where as on my 1150 and 1200 Hex and Cam heads 10,000 to 12,000 was very common. The only answer I can think of is the great engine power and stronger brakes on the newer bikes. :dunno

GSA tires

I must be doing something way wrong 4500 miles on OEM Anakee adventures
2500 on new anakee adventures and they are going pretty fast
All one up riding and 90 street 10 dirt
Looking at the Dunlop Mission Trailmax next

I have a set of Dunlop Trailmax Missions in my warehouse. I'm trying for 9K miles on the Michelin Anakee Adv tires before replacing them...

I have a set of Dunlop Trailmax Missions in my warehouse. I'm trying for 9K miles on the Michelin Anakee Adv tires before replacing them...

how in the hell do you get 8K out of the AA tires?
I ride aggressive maybe but I see lots of other GSA riders riding like I do
I always check tire pressure 42 rear - 36 front

I am very happy with the Anakee Adventure tire, I have 8500 miles on my set and they are going strong. I had many sets of the Pilot Road 4’s and was taking them off at 6000 miles generally. The AA’s seem to have similar handling characteristics.

Chris

I am easy on the throttle and am not aggressive although I do ride fast when traffic and road conditions permit. YMMV

BMW R1250GS Tire

I am surprised by some of the comments here regarding the Bridgestone Battleax A41 tires (not that I doubt anyone who has had that experience) because I find these tires exceptional as a 90/10 road-biased tire. I only have 2,503 miles on mine and, yes, they appear to be wearing quickly -- I would anticipate roughly 5 - 6,000 miles of life before needing replacement -- but i value grip and handling way more than tire life as I do tend to ride aggressively 50% of the time. I also had a set of Michelin Anakee Adventures on my first R1250GS (which I totaled at 3,267 miles) and the wore a bit better but had pretty decent grip -- in particular given their 80/20 design. I'm thinking about the Michelin TKC70 Rock as my next set as I want to do a bit more off-road riding.

Kent

P.S. I've attached a file showing the rate of wear based on tread depth measurements at (roughly) 500 mile intervals. I'll do this for all future tire purchases so I have hard data on which to base my tire choices on.

Attachments

• Motorcycle Tire Wear.pdf
    62.5 KB · Views: 12
Dang. It sounds like you all need one of these! Be the popular guy in town. :laugh

NOMAR

i-bd4DGKc-X2.jpg

Michelin Anake Adventure

I have Michelin Anakee Adventures on my 2019 1250GS.

I got 9000 on the first rear tire. 6000 miles of that was loaded on a tour of Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and SD.
The the original front is still going at 14,000 miles.

I have Michelin Anakee Adventures on my 2019 1250GS.

I got 9000 on the first rear tire. 6000 miles of that was loaded on a tour of Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and SD.
The the original front is still going at 14,000 miles.

WOW ... I can only hope for that kind of mileage!

front tire wear

I feel your pain, same issue with mine A41, hate those. Replaced with Continental after 8K miles. Never happened to me before on other bikes, however, some folks on different forum said it's pretty common on GSA...

View attachment 76540

Looks just like my 2016 gs Michelin Annakee 3s not impressed at all!! slip on hot or wet tar snakes, scarry!! A handful on gravel, and showing lots od side wear at 5100 miles. Dunlop or Contis next time.

Back