• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS-911 Diagnostic tool

adecood

So I am new to the BMW group. And I just purchased a R1250 RT. And I am looking for a diagnostic tool that I can use to reset my service notice. I saw that the GS-911 is a tool that is made for this bike. I was wondering if there are other less expensive tools out there that can do the same thing. I currently have VCDS software that I use on my VW. And it also uses a OBD II connector to interface with the car just like what is on the RT.

So I am looking for some advice before I plunk down another $300 on a specialize tool. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Motoscan app

Google "Motoscan app" and read up on it. Be sure to get a recommended Bluetooth dongle. You can probably search these forums and get some hits and/or the MOA FB page.

Always remember that there are almost no limits on the ability of somebody to make an inferior product at a cheaper price. If that product does what you want, good. If not, don't fool yourself.

There are counterfeit GS-911s out there so if you go that route buy from a reputable dealer.

I have both a GS-911 and the Motoscan app. Both are good. Each has its own strengths. Choice depends on price and what functionality you are looking for. If all you want to do is reset the service interval them Motoscan would be the better choice. Motoscan will do some coding that the GS-911 does not. The GS-911 is much better at prompting you through service procedures and in giving you a clue about what an error code means.

There are counterfeit GS-911s out there so if you go that route buy from a reputable dealer...
I also believe that with a tool such as the GS-911 or even the Motoscan, Technical Support is important. The value of buying from a reputable and knowledgeable dealer (specific to the tool at hand) can not be overstressed.

I also believe that with a tool such as the GS-911 or even the Motoscan, Technical Support is important. The value of buying from a reputable and knowledgeable dealer (specific to the tool at hand) can not be overstressed.

I bought a new GS-911 recently from US distributor, expressed apprehension due to my technical/digital lack of expertise. Was ensured they were fully capable to talk me through set-up and use. Not so. I did make contact with Hexcode tech in South Africa, and he has done his best to help me establish connection GS-911 to their cloud, but I gave up out of frustration. Now waiting for a local techie to appear to guide me. For now, a $400 paperweight. Bummer.

I bought a new GS-911 recently from US distributor, expressed apprehension due to my technical/digital lack of expertise. Was ensured they were fully capable to talk me through set-up and use. Not so. I did make contact with Hexcode tech in South Africa, and he has done his best to help me establish connection GS-911 to their cloud, but I gave up out of frustration. Now waiting for a local techie to appear to guide me. For now, a $400 paperweight. Bummer.
Just received mine today and setup with no problem. What issues are you having?

Just received mine today and setup with no problem. What issues are you having?

GS-911 recognizes bike, but I don't get to page that scans for codes. My phone and computer show strong wifi signal, but I wonder if its enough for 911. Not connecting with Hexcode cloud??? I am not a techie, but have used Apple products for over 30 years. Currently MacBook Pro and iPhone X, both with current OS.

GS-911 recognizes bike, but I don't get to page that scans for codes. My phone and computer show strong wifi signal, but I wonder if its enough for 911. Not connecting with Hexcode cloud??? I am not a techie, but have used Apple products for over 30 years. Currently MacBook Pro and iPhone X, both with current OS.

i may be wrong, but i believe you need to be attached to the bike to scan for codes...i, too, have the wifi version, but never used it in the wifi mode...only hardwired...

:scratch

I connected mine via WiFi and USB cable. When you first connect, It will show as new vehicle. You can run an autoscan at this point and it will give you a readout. After that, you can hit the "Home" button and get the menu where you can select which module you want to diagnose. If you are using WiFi on your phone, you have to scan for WiFi devices which will show the GS-911. You also have to download the app for your phone. You don't need the Hexcode cloud connection.

i may be wrong, but i believe you need to be attached to the bike to scan for codes...i, too, have the wifi version, but never used it in the wifi mode...only hardwired...

:scratch

I've had mine hard-wired to my computer via USB, plus tried to my iPhone X via wifi. I can't get an autoscan. I'm just dumb enough to not figure out how to remedy. I suspect wifi signal, but both phone and computer show full wifi signal 'fan'.

I've had mine hard-wired to my computer via USB, plus tried to my iPhone X via wifi. I can't get an autoscan. I'm just dumb enough to not figure out how to remedy. I suspect wifi signal, but both phone and computer show full wifi signal 'fan'.

Do you have the app installed on your computer or your iPhone? And which model bike are you connecting to?

Best,
DeVern

Ok...dumb question...apologies if you’ve already done this:

After connecting the GS-911 to the bike did you turn the ignition on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok...dumb question...apologies if you’ve already done this:

After connecting the GS-911 to the bike did you turn the ignition on?

the GS911 will give instructions on your laptop/computer....

maybe consult Hexcode for instructions...:thumb

I have owned both

I have owned both the GS-911 and the Motoscan Ultimate app. If all you want to do is update the service intervals you can do so with either, but the Motoscan is significantly less in cost. Something in the neighborhood of less than $75-$100 including the OBD2 Bluetooth connector vs. around $400 for the GS-911.

I suggest you check what you want to do and see which app does what you need. For my purposes the Motoscan is sufficient and along the lines of what you'd spend for a similar automobile diagnostic tool. The GS-911 was fine but I had functions I never used, so I traded down to what suits me and pocketed the extra $300+ savings.

Back