• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Value of /5 hand operated. Air pump

wardjhwtaw

I have an old hand operated air pump that fits a '73 R75/5. Does it have any value? Can these be restored. Due to the age and no exercise of the handle, I doubt it will inflate a tire.

You could check various online sources or the price of old or slightly old pumps. As for overhaul, they're fairly simple to disassemble. There's a rubber flap that fits in one end which helps to pressurize the chamber for pushing air into the tire. I wouldn't want to rely on it on the side of the road. When I tour, I pack a separate bicycle pump that is large enough to do the job but small enough to fit in the bags. I think people like to have them hanging in their spot for "correctness".

On my 1978 R80 I have the factory air pump.
Every couple of years I service it, its easy.
I did have a flat a couple of years ago and used that pump.
It worked fine, slow of course, but it got me down the road AOK.
I kinda like it; so retro, just like the bike.
If your unsure of yours it would be easy to practice on a spare tube and see if it works.

A friend of mine had a flat rear tire on his /5, he was able to pull the wheel, remove and patch the tube with the under seat tool kit, and pump it back to enough pressure to get to civilization with the supplied hand pump. Try that on a Goldwing. A lot to be said for simplicity, and function over form.

A friend of mine had a flat rear tire on his /5, he was able to pull the wheel, remove and patch the tube with the under seat tool kit, and pump it back to enough pressure to get to civilization with the supplied hand pump. Try that on a Goldwing. A lot to be said for simplicity, and function over form.

The Goldwing (ugh) probably had tubeless tires which could be plugged and reinflated. Inner tubes are 19th century technology in the 21st century. After sitting in the mud, in the rain, on the shoulder of a gravel road near Chicken, Alaska extracting a tube and inserting my spare I swore to never again own a street bike with tube type tires. Inner tubes = deal killer.

Last edited:
I will never forget, Mike Truel, my very best riding Bud, on a return trip from Mexico City heading to OKC. He got a flat on I-35 right before San Antonio on a Sunday. I headed out in search of anything to fix the situation and he stayed there with the bike trying to repair. Time goes by and all I can come up with is a can of flat fix.....Better than nothing. As I came back slowing too get into the center median, there sat Mike with the tire/wheel in his lap working that nothing tire pump. His hand was going up and down in his lap as hard and fast as he could go!! Looked like something kinda obscene if you didn't know what was going on......Broke up laughing and almost crashed...….Anyway, we got home.....:wave :thumb

God bless ya MIKE...……..

Keep it for looks but get an electric pump for actual work! I carry a spare rear tube and don't trust patches.

I have an old hand operated air pump that fits a '73 R75/5. Does it have any value? Can these be restored. Due to the age and no exercise of the handle, I doubt it will inflate a tire.

Thank you one and all. I don't have the slash 5 but was interested only if they were in demand for restorations and the like.

Pump that “tire”.

I will never forget, Mike Truel, my very best riding Bud, on a return trip from Mexico City heading to OKC. He got a flat on I-35 right before San Antonio on a Sunday. I headed out in search of anything to fix the situation and he stayed there with the bike trying to repair. Time goes by and all I can come up with is a can of flat fix.....Better than nothing. As I came back slowing too get into the center median, there sat Mike with the tire/wheel in his lap working that nothing tire pump. His hand was going up and down in his lap as hard and fast as he could go!! Looked like something kinda obscene if you didn't know what was going on......Broke up laughing and almost crashed...….Anyway, we got home.....:wave :thumb

God bless ya MIKE...……..

Okaaay... funny one. I have an old pump too, non-working, so I got my 10 oz CO2 cartridge inflator from my bike days and keep that on board! Y'all don’t have to pump so hard...
fm an newbie NC Mtnman

Back