Thread: Value of /5 hand operated. Air pump

Value of /5 hand operated. Air pump

I have an old hand operated air pump that fits a '73 R75/5. Does it have any value? Can these be restored. Due to the age and no exercise of the handle, I doubt it will inflate a tire.

You could check various online sources or the price of old or slightly old pumps. As for overhaul, they're fairly simple to disassemble. There's a rubber flap that fits in one end which helps to pressurize the chamber for pushing air into the tire. I wouldn't want to rely on it on the side of the road. When I tour, I pack a separate bicycle pump that is large enough to do the job but small enough to fit in the bags. I think people like to have them hanging in their spot for "correctness".
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Nick Kennedy
    On my 1978 R80 I have the factory air pump.
    Every couple of years I service it, its easy.
    I did have a flat a couple of years ago and used that pump.
    It worked fine, slow of course, but it got me down the road AOK.
    I kinda like it; so retro, just like the bike.
    If your unsure of yours it would be easy to practice on a spare tube and see if it works.

A friend of mine had a flat rear tire on his /5, he was able to pull the wheel, remove and patch the tube with the under seat tool kit, and pump it back to enough pressure to get to civilization with the supplied hand pump. Try that on a Goldwing. A lot to be said for simplicity, and function over form.

Quote Originally Posted by chunk View Post
    A friend of mine had a flat rear tire on his /5, he was able to pull the wheel, remove and patch the tube with the under seat tool kit, and pump it back to enough pressure to get to civilization with the supplied hand pump. Try that on a Goldwing. A lot to be said for simplicity, and function over form.
    The Goldwing (ugh) probably had tubeless tires which could be plugged and reinflated. Inner tubes are 19th century technology in the 21st century. After sitting in the mud, in the rain, on the shoulder of a gravel road near Chicken, Alaska extracting a tube and inserting my spare I swore to never again own a street bike with tube type tires. Inner tubes = deal killer.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 12-02-2019 at 03:54 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I will never forget, Mike Truel, my very best riding Bud, on a return trip from Mexico City heading to OKC. He got a flat on I-35 right before San Antonio on a Sunday. I headed out in search of anything to fix the situation and he stayed there with the bike trying to repair. Time goes by and all I can come up with is a can of flat fix.....Better than nothing. As I came back slowing too get into the center median, there sat Mike with the tire/wheel in his lap working that nothing tire pump. His hand was going up and down in his lap as hard and fast as he could go!! Looked like something kinda obscene if you didn't know what was going on......Broke up laughing and almost crashed....Anyway, we got home.....

God bless ya MIKE.....

Keep it for looks but get an electric pump for actual work! I carry a spare rear tube and don't trust patches.
    Boxerbruce

Quote Originally Posted by wardjhwtaw View Post
    I have an old hand operated air pump that fits a '73 R75/5. Does it have any value? Can these be restored. Due to the age and no exercise of the handle, I doubt it will inflate a tire.
    Thank you one and all. I don't have the slash 5 but was interested only if they were in demand for restorations and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by wardjhwtaw View Post
    Thank you one and all. I don't have the slash 5 but was interested only if they were in demand for restorations and the like.
    In demand,? maybe. $20 max.
    1973 R75/5

Available brand-new here, and they have used ones as well (around 10 used):
    https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/S...&Filter=submit

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138