• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'91 R100GSPD, Alternate for Stock Suicidestand

leafman60

'91 R100GSPD, Alternate for Stock Sui-sidestand

LOL

Anyone know of a decent bolt-on substitute for the stock side stand on the paralever GSPD's ??

A good thread is currently going for the older non-GS bikes but I'm talking about the later-model tall paralever types like the GSPD.

I've suffered with the spring-loaded Spanish Inquisition torture device that passes for the stock stand on BMW airheads. I've owned several and I know all the tricks for safe deployment and I've never dropped one. However, how nice would be a side stand that didn't require such diligence!! It's like setting a mouse trap everytime you put it down.

Last edited:

I've suffered with the spring-loaded Spanish Inquisition torture device that passes for the stock stand on BMW airheads. I've owned several and I know all the tricks for safe deployment and I've never dropped one. However, how nice would be a side stand that didn't require such diligence!! It's like setting a mouse trap everytime you put it down.

Can’t help you, but wanted to say that I sympathize. I was considering purchasing an airhead until I experienced that ridiculous side-stand. Life’s too short to live with that sort of aggravation.

I don't find anything right off, but you could read Snowbum's page:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/FarleyBrownSurefoot.htm

Snowbum mentions a fix to the later sidestands offered by Schneider. However, they were forced under by a lawsuit. I can't say as I've seen one and what the issue was with it, but you could look to find one out there and give it a try.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?32266-R100GS-Fans-Schneider-s-Inc-Forced-Under-By-Lawsuit

--- update ---

What about these?

https://www.migsel.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=99&review=read

https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/bmw-tech/r100gs-and-gspd-sidestand-46285

Yes, I've seen Snowbum's info. It's a good resource but not very conclusive as to my own particular application.

The stainless steel piece offered by Boxxerparts, I have also looked at. The question is, and I need to email them to ask, is it long enough to properly work on the PD frame height.

Those links given are good.

I was hoping to hear from someone with first-hand experience, especially before dropping what will apparently be about $300 for a sidestand.

I don't see any mention of these specific side stands in the forum. I did see a few positive posts about the Migsel in the Airheads email archive.

I just now sent an email to Boxxerparts in Germany asking about the Paris-Dakar model. I will post what they say.

I modified the stock stand by changing the position of the pin that the spring attaches to, not on the stand leg but up near where it mounts to the smash bar. It took a little trial and error, but works great now.

I modified the stock stand by changing the position of the pin that the spring attaches to, not on the stand leg but up near where it mounts to the smash bar. It took a little trial and error, but works great now.

Yes, I've done that with another bike once.

I'd love to see a picture of what you did!

My idea was to change where the spring broke over relative to the pin in the stand pivot point, so now instead of flipping up, it stays down until I flip it up. My first attempt resulted in it wanting to stay down and became hard to flip up. My second attempt keeps it down but allows me to flip it up manually, easily. Sorry for the quality of the photos but they are of the final product.

PC010005.jpg

PC010003.jpg

My idea was to change where the spring broke over relative to the pin in the stand pivot point, so now instead of flipping up, it stays down until I flip it up. My first attempt resulted in it wanting to stay down and became hard to flip up. My second attempt keeps it down but allows me to flip it up manually, easily. Sorry for the quality of the photos but they are of the final product.

View attachment 76479

View attachment 76480

Thanks so much. So, did you weld that prong onto which you hooked the spring???

By the way, those are some CLEAN pushrod tubes!

Last edited:
Yes. I first cut it off from the original location and the repositioned it. The bike has 135,000 + miles since I unpacked it from the crate in '83. I've done all of the work on it and just try to keep it clean.

That reflects the basic mechanics of a locked deployment side stand.

The spring anchor to the bike must be positioned to let the spring itself pass over the axis of the side stand pivot point from the rear to the front of that pivot point.

During operation of the side stand, when the spring's position is to the rear of the side stand pivot point, the spring will pull the side stand up to the bike into its retracted position and out of the way for riding. As the spring moves to a position in front of the side stand pivot point, the spring will pull the side stand forward against the deployed side stand stop point and keep the side stand from snapping back into its retracted position.

I fully understand why the manufacturer designed and built a snap-up, spring loaded retractable side stand. Other manufacturers, mostly European, have done this at some point in their history. I myself, a time or two in my riding past, have forgotten to retract my side stand before taking off. Fortunately, it never caused me to wreck. Rather, once the stand hit the ground while moving, it was knocked back up into its retracted position. However, I can understand the havoc a non-retracted side stand could cause for a poor soul in many situations.

I prefer a side stand that won't abruptly snap up when not weighted on the ground, particularly one that is difficult to move with your foot to its deployed position. The risks of managing the retraction of the side stand are worth the elimination the risks of the stand snapping up while trying to deploy it and causing the bike to fall while parking.

I prefer a side stand that won't abruptly snap up when not weighted on the ground, particularly one that is difficult to move with your foot to its deployed position. The risks of managing the retraction of the side stand are worth the elimination the risks of the stand snapping up while trying to deploy it and causing the bike to fall while parking.

You shouldn’t have to live with either risk. Every bike I’ve ever ridden had a stand that would stay down until retracted manually, but also had a safety lockout that would kill the engine if it was placed in gear when the sidestand was still down.:dunno

You shouldn’t have to live with either risk. Every bike I’ve ever ridden had a stand that would stay down until retracted manually, but also had a safety lockout that would kill the engine if it was placed in gear when the sidestand was still down.:dunno

You didn't have any old bikes, I see. :)

I bought my first airhead 30 years ago or so and have many more since then. I've never had a problem with the side stand. Just an airhead thing, My K bike is a bit different with an auto retract when the clutch lever is squeezed to the bars. I just put that one up manually with my foot. It looks like using it as intended would overly stress the clutch cable end nipple, but it does work now it's lubed and adjusted correctly. Airheads are an acquired taste and not for everyone.

hey leafman60, we have an airhead ( club member ) here in Oregon, that is making sidestands for the gs. if you pm me I will give you his number. I will look and see if I have a better picture.

Attachments

• DSC01959 (2).jpg
    DSC01959 (2).jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 114
Yes, that is Jerry Weissert in Oregon. I corresponded with him. You can read about and see his stands on several Airhead-oriented forum sites.

The Weissert stand look well-made but it attached close to the ride peg and therefore, when it is retracted, it sticks backward alongside the rear wheel. I really don't like that.

I may end up moving my stock spring anchor tab (as described by a previous poster) to lock the stand in deployed position. If I wanted to devote the time to it, I could also fashion a starter cut-off switch to prevent starting with the stand deployed.

the stand is very well made, a huge improvement on stock. it is mounted further back, but that has caused no problems with me, and as a bonus it is easy to deploy when you reach your destination.

I sold my 92 GSPD about a month ago.
I have a new Migsel Side Stand, never used.
Its available if anyone is interested, send a PM.

SIDE STAND HAS BEEN SOLD.

Last edited:
Back