• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why is it recommended to hang your butt off the seat when in aggressive cornering

To poke a little here, that sounds logical for eastern Canada where the two-lane speed limits are 90 kph and 10 clicks over gets you up to 62 or so miles per hour. Here in west Texas and much of the rest of the western US we find curvy two lane roads with a speed limit of 75 mph. If I then ride 10 clicks (6 mph) over that I am running right along at about 80, not 60. Thus, quasi legal spirited riding out here may be 20 mph faster than quasi legal spirited riding in eastern Canada. Of course that is just considering the speed limits. I know lots of roads where all but the very best riders won't maintain the speed limit.

Quite right Paul, although folks seem to have the impression that my riding pace is perhaps a bit too brisk as I do tend to keep pretty close to that 10-clicks over when the roads get interesting. ;-)

As you and Kevin point out, the 10-clicks over rule-of-thumb doesn't work for every road. It is simply my typical cruising speed when conditions warrant. The night before last I was driving (4-wheels) back from a funeral service over snow-covered paved and dirt roads with areas of ice. In some places I was travelling at perhaps at only 50% of the posted speed limit and others it was perhaps 125% of the posted limit. My speed, perhaps like many others, tends to be a dynamic blend of my interpretation of keeping my license, how compelling the road is, as well as visibility, traction, mood, etc.

Certainly, there are plenty of roads where there are turns that must be negotiated at speeds well below the posted limit for the overall road. Typically, these have posted corner speeds, but not always. I've ridden in areas around Kevin where I plotted out courses that kept me on very circuitous 2-lane roads over the Continental Divide. Great riding.

This year I rode a lot of the Appalachian mountain chain (mostly in June), starting in Nova Scotia and exiting in Helen, GA. Also rode the Selkirk Mountains and the Cascades through WA this year and finished it off with leading a group of about 2-dozen riders around a couple of routes on the Cabot Trail back home in NS.

This is a picture I always like to share of the Cabot Trail. It is definitely not the twistiest portion of the Trail, but it gives riders a good idea of what phenominal riding we'e got here.
Cabot Trail going into Cheticamp.jpg

This year I rode a lot of the Appalachian mountain chain (mostly in June), starting in Nova Scotia and exiting in Helen, GA. Also rode the Selkirk Mountains and the Cascades through WA this year and finished it off with leading a group of about 2-dozen riders around a couple of routes on the Cabot Trail back home in NS.

This is a picture I always like to share of the Cabot Trail. It is definitely not the twistiest portion of the Trail, but it gives riders a good idea of what phenominal riding we'e got here.
View attachment 76494

That looks like the view south towards Cheticamp from the Skyline Trail area (where the young musician was killed by coyotes.)

Gorgeous country, and the Cabot Trail is spectacular.

And yet he was able to beat the sport bike riders doing everything right!

Anybody notice his handlebars?

When AMA racing was running at Heartland Park Topeka many years ago the track record was, for several years held by a 250cc racer, besting all the 1000 cc superbike guys. The 2.3 mile 14 turn track was well suited for the lighter, quicker, but not faster bike. The rider, John Kocinski, was no slouch on any bike but excelled on the 250.

Wrong, he's got a bike to do everything left. :)
His center of mass is to the left of the bike. He's stradling the saddle, not sitting in the center but to the left of it and using his left boot for leverage when the bike starts sliding the rear end.

2019-12-04 19_41_37-Window.png

His bike is designed for just that. Similar to flat track racers. Going around and around on an oval track. The others aren't. They're compromised for other, different purposes.
I see his left handlebar is higher, so is his left footpeg. Why, I can only guess? More weight on the rear tire, force an upper riding position, with regular handlebars his torso would move forward?
The left footpeg is higher to prevent it from dragging early?

Would you ride a bike like that on the street? :scratch

Those bikes are set up specifically for the task at hand. Turn left, short straight, turn left, short straight, repeat. I would respectfully suggest that the sport bikes would eat its lunch on a road course.

Further, does everyone realize that this type of "racing" is set up like horse racing? Handicaps, betting, rider colours - the whole nine yards (or meters if you're in Japan) :laugh

Edit: Dang, patm beat me to it!

Thanks for that link. I like this one even better:

Voni
sMiling

I agree.... A lot of good info here. Thanks for both videos

What I have come away with, trying to digest the rational of hang butt off to get more traction is real for racers and extreme riders. But if you are an brisk street rider and you still have chicken strips (not yet fully using your tires traction) the is no reason to hang you butt off the bike.

Note: if you ride a Harley or Harley clone with small lean angle clearance hanging your butt may give you a bit of help....but why push a cruiser bike to do something it was not meant for??

I agree.... A lot of good info here. Thanks for both videos

What I have come away with, trying to digest the rational of hang butt off to get more traction is real for racers and extreme riders. But if you are an brisk street rider and you still have chicken strips (not yet fully using your tires traction) the is no reason to hang you butt off the bike.

Note: if you ride a Harley or Harley clone with small lean angle clearance hanging your butt may give you a bit of help....but why push a cruiser bike to do something it was not meant for??

Got caught in a 50-60mph cross wind just north of Flagstaff on the way back from the arctic circle in 2018. It literally threw the GS into the oncoming lane, and kept pushing me off the road while leaning the bike hard just to keep it and myself from being blown off the road. When I saw the opposite lane white line and 6" before making dirt and a gully, I remembered the training, and hung off the bike. It didn't give me any more upright, but moving the weight to the inside getting the butt off the seat, I got the bike under control, and eventually back across oncoming and into my own lane. I felt the lower crash bar scrape a little in that position.

All the above to say, when I made the pines near Flagstaff and took a heart attack break getting the BP back to some normalcy, I still had some chicken strip on both tires. My normal strips run 3/8" on both tires when I'm aggressive in the twisties, my panniers are 2" from touching the road based on others following behind me. If I run to no strips on this GS, I've laid the bike down.

Attachments

• Lone Rider Bags.jpg
    Lone Rider Bags.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 84
NOT Chicken Strips.

Those are Margins for Error. . .

So said Reg Pridmore.

And that second video.

Voni
sMiling

Back