• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100R fuel filter and in tank hose replacement

I’d call the entire formed rubber hose a mistaken design from the get-go. BMW wants $49.15 for the bent hose in my brick-k bike. I’m surprised no one in the aftermarket is selling a simple U-bend of steel tubing in the correct diameter, with swaged ends. A couple of short lengths of submersible hose would finish the job and largely eliminate the split hose potential. At a target price around $25 for a one-time solution there ought to be plenty of room to make a profit, I’d think.

Best,
DeVern

I’d call the entire formed rubber hose a mistaken design from the get-go. BMW wants $49.15 for the bent hose in my brick-k bike. I’m surprised no one in the aftermarket is selling a simple U-bend of steel tubing in the correct diameter, with swaged ends. A couple of short lengths of submersible hose would finish the job and largely eliminate the split hose potential. At a target price around $25 for a one-time solution there ought to be plenty of room to make a profit, I’d think.

Best,
DeVern

How can you beat less than $10 for the Holley hose?
No need for metal and 2 more clamps/connections.
Not to mention making the whole shebang longer.
KISS principle applies.

well, I got everything back together, turned the key on, with the stop engine kill switch on to not run the pump dry, and the yellow fuel light did not turn on.... very disappointed.
I added about 3 liters of fuel to the tank, and the low fuel light does not come on.... so I guess I have to take it apart again... perhaps one of the vent tubes is in the way of the float.
Once I get it taken apart again, is it permissible to have the plate in hand, and plug it into the bike and manually move the float to test the low fuel light? I can always test it with my meter for resistance.
I was very careful with the float assembly when I had it out, perhaps I should just add more fuel and really get the float to really float, but my bike is isn't insured right now, so I can't ride it and consume gas. The yellow low fuel light used to reliably light solid at 250 km.

I used the 9mm fuel injection clamps on the connection on the underside of the plate and the vent tubes, and they were too tight, in that application would continuous tension clamps be permissible? It is a low pressure connection. The CTC clamps would be reusable and easier to manipulate.

I have a 1100r not a GS, from what I have seen in my research, my tank is not as bulbous.

Most likely something in the tank as it worked before you were in there.

Is the low fuel lamp operational? Short the white wire from the bike side of the tank plug to ground. The lamp should light immediately upon ignition switched on.
If the ignition is already on then a time delay of a minute or two will happen (damping relay operating)

To test the float:
The white wire on the pump late is low fuel float with connects to the brown (ground) on an empty tank.
Make sure the float moves freely. This can be checked with an ohmmeter at the tank plug.

As far as the internal vent lines go, cut back 1/2" for a fresh surface and make sure they fit tight on the plate nipples. Then secure with a medium black Zip tie and cut the tag flush.
It's all you need, there is negligible pressure on the vent lines which is actually aiding to hold them on.

I think there is a delay for the low fuel light, preventing it to flicker when the fuel level is is at the in between stage. How long did you test it for? Also make sure the ground circuit and plug connections are are good.

I think there is a delay for the low fuel light, preventing it to flicker when the fuel level is is at the in between stage. How long did you test it for? Also make sure the ground circuit and plug connections are are good.

Previous post explains how the damping relay works.

Thank you Reto for your troubleshooting tips, the circuit to my low fuel yellow light works, and the rheostat on the bench tests fine. I must have bent the float arm when I took it out. If you see the pic on the top of page 2 I was wondering why the float was impeded by the U hose. The angle is wrong.
I will carefully form the float arm and I am confident I will get this working correctly.

DO NOT bend the float arm. Not yet, at least. The problem is the hose is longer than OEM so sticks out further in the curved position and impinges on the float. Shorten the hose, leaving just enough flat at each end for the clamp. It should then clear the float.

DO NOT bend the float arm. Not yet, at least. The problem is the hose is longer than OEM so sticks out further in the curved position and impinges on the float. Shorten the hose, leaving just enough flat at each end for the clamp. It should then clear the float.

What Paul says.
FYI the float arm steel is very rigid, it will not accidentally bend very easily.

I would confirm the board traces are clean - polish with a pencil erasor. Then make sure the wiper button is clean. I use a thin 1/4" strip of 600 grit emery, lay under the button and move the arm back and forth. Do not use the emery on the board.

So I finally have the tank together, and it doesn't leak and the fuel level light works.
I have a 1998 R1100R, not a GS or RT, and what made the float work was the position of the sock. I have to admit the sock was in the correct position when I took it apart, and 45 degrees from most pics I have seen on the internet, such as this:
Tank.JPG

I presume with the difference in tank shape, the sock needs to be not pointed towards the closed float, but 45 degrees and pointed to the outside wall. (straight towards the plate)
Anyways it works, and I am hoping for Spring and being able to ride my bike. Next job is bleeding the breaks, but I do not expect any drama from that, considering I installed SS brake-lines last year.
I just thought I would close this thread and wish everyone an enjoyable riding season ahead.

Back