Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: heated grips and seat stopped working - good battery and voltage

Left Coast Rider
    For what its worth, I've had a Shorai LiFePo battery in my used-once-a-week big twin sport bike since 2015 and its performance has been excellent. I plug my Battery Tender Jr. into it about once a month just for the heck of it and the charge indicator always shows "green".

YMMV.

Sorry for the thread derail.
    Last edited by BC1100S; 12-09-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Thumbs up UPDATE! The "Windows 98" fix

After getting my GS911 wifi scanner hooked up, I was able to turn on the heated grips and seat via the ZFE module test function. The GS911 also showed the switches in the hand grip are working (at least sending a signal to the ZFE and dash indicators). it still didn't make sense because I knew the signal was getting to the module, it just wasn't turning them all on. I unplugged all the heated elements and tested one at a time, but still no go.

So, what do you do with a 10 year old PC? unplug it and let it sit for a while before rebooting. In this case I disconnected the battery for 2 minutes, then tried it again. No go. Disconnected it again, left it for an hour, retest and WHAM! it all works now!

I may have a short in one of the heating wires, but I won't know until I start riding again (Pacific NW here and currently soggy and icy). If it does it again, I suspect it's the seat heating element as I had a custom seat built using the old pan and heating element in June 2019.

Thank to all who chimed in, great forum!

PS: Big thanks to those dudes who invented the GS911 wifi. The best BMW tool in my box!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_pnw View Post
    After getting my GS911 wifi scanner hooked up, I was able to turn on the heated grips and seat via the ZFE module test function. The GS911 also showed the switches in the hand grip are working (at least sending a signal to the ZFE and dash indicators). it still didn't make sense because I knew the signal was getting to the module, it just wasn't turning them all on. I unplugged all the heated elements and tested one at a time, but still no go.

So, what do you do with a 10 year old PC? unplug it and let it sit for a while before rebooting. In this case I disconnected the battery for 2 minutes, then tried it again. No go. Disconnected it again, left it for an hour, retest and WHAM! it all works now!

I may have a short in one of the heating wires, but I won't know until I start riding again (Pacific NW here and currently soggy and icy). If it does it again, I suspect it's the seat heating element as I had a custom seat built using the old pan and heating element in June 2019.

Thank to all who chimed in, great forum!

PS: Big thanks to those dudes who invented the GS911 wifi. The best BMW tool in my box!
    Great!
    Always a plus when a thread has a finish
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200