• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Keyless Fuel Cap Problem

rvint

My 2015 RT recently began having issues with unlocking the keyless entry fuel cap. It simply will not unlock, forcing me to repeatedly make an attempt until it suddenly decides to wake up and allow me access. I'm suspecting a low key-fob battery, which I plan to replace tomorrow but the bike has not given me any indications that the fob battery is low so I'm not confident that this will solve the mystery but I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone else has experienced this issue and what your solution was, just in case the fob battery change doesn't help. My additional problem is that I'm planning to leave in a few days for a two week trip so I'm hoping to resolve this issue beforehand. Thanks in advance!

. I'm suspecting a low key-fob battery, which I plan to replace tomorrow !

You should see a low fob battery light on the dash if it's weak.
I saw the same problem mentioned awhile back but don't remember if it was on this site or the RS site.
I'll try to find the thread.

I found the post I was thinking of but it just mentioned a thread on a forum I'm not familiar with.
It mentioned a R1250 not being able to open the keyless gas cap. The problem was fixed at a dealer but I don't know if it was a programing fix or mechanical.

On your trip carry the correct torx bit to remove the cap if it will not open.
This will be a hassle but it beats having to have the bike hauled in.

Thanks for looking into it, Lee. I cleaned and lubed the latch mechanism itself and it seems better so I'll keep my fingers crossed. At the very least, you did serve as a reminder to pack my tool kit!

If you have a tank ring for a tank bag, check the screws aren’t too tight.
I had a SW-Motech bag on for 50,000 km then the tank started to get hard to open. I backed the screws off a bit - problem solved.

Had the same problem with or without tank bag ring. Very difficult to latch or unlatch. Only solution so far is to tune the screw tightness like a piano until it is just so....and then wait for it to crop up again later. Not a very robust design.

Back