• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where is the post? 2003 KGT rear shock replacement question

jjciii

2003 KGT
I have been searching for the post where a guy replaced his rear shock with a Wilbers and he listed a step by step. If you know the title or where it is, please let me know.
My bike has 35k on it now and I feel that the rear is soft even with the adjuster all the way engaged. Yes, I do run bags weighting about 20 lbs each.

Didn't see it in the K Bike DIY and didn't have any luck with a search.
I did it a few times on our 03 K1200RSs and I member it being fairly straight forward.
Seems like it was a tight fit to get the adjuster routed past the fender.

JC -

I've done some searching as well and can't seem to find anything. You've posted this in the Flying Brick K-bike forum area. Is the bike a "Brick" or is it a Wedge-K bike? I'm not that familiar with all the variations. What is the model in question...K1200GT, K1300GT, or??

horizontal 4 cyl - called a 'brick'

JC -

I've done some searching as well and can't seem to find anything. You've posted this in the Flying Brick K-bike forum area. Is the bike a "Brick" or is it a Wedge-K bike? I'm not that familiar with all the variations. What is the model in question...K1200GT, K1300GT, or??

I was told long ago that a horizontal 4 cyl is called a 'brick'. So that is where I have been looking

JC -

The 03 K1200GT is a Brick. It's very similar to the 03 K1200RS.

The 03 K1200GT is a Brick. It's very similar to the 03 K1200RS.

Thanks...as I said, I have troubles with these differences. I see on the main forum that we've identified the Wedge-K bikes starting in 2005.

Thanks...as I said, I have troubles with these differences. I see on the main forum that we've identified the Wedge-K bikes starting in 2005.

Yep, it's very easy to get the two K1200GT bikes confused.

That said, I can't seem to find anything for the K1200GT that has a specific reference to step-by-step of a Wilbers shock on our forum. Could be that it was posted on ADV??

That said, I can't seem to find anything for the K1200GT that has a specific reference to step-by-step of a Wilbers shock on our forum. Could be that it was posted on ADV??

Might have been on the old i-BMW site. That was a forum started for the K1200RS and had a ton of technical info.

KGT rear shock removal proceedures

The post was on this web. There were questions about room for the remote res's (1 or 2 depending on what you bought) Perhaps having to remove the charcoal canister to make room.
I also question if the bike will collapse or using the center stand is enough.

To much movement = tired shock?

Let me take this time to expand on why I think the stock shock is tired.
Like I said previously, I have the preload turned up all the way. Why? because I would bottom out our dips at speed. I also noticed a bit of pogoing on sweepers at speed. What speed? Well the dips I would say 80 mph. On the sweepers , 60-80. Otherwise, it is a nice soft ride and no complaints.
Oh, BTY, I have a stock front shock also, but with an after market stabilizer.

Let me take this time to expand on why I think the stock shock is tired.
Like I said previously, I have the preload turned up all the way. Why? because I would bottom out our dips at speed. I also noticed a bit of pogoing on sweepers at speed. What speed? Well the dips I would say 80 mph. On the sweepers , 60-80. Otherwise, it is a nice soft ride and no complaints.
Oh, BTY, I have a stock front shock also, but with an after market stabilizer.

I thinks I was replacing our rear shocks at 30,000 to 40,000 miles.
I would get a hinge in the middle of the bike feeling in fast sweepers.
Our bikes had around 90,000 miles when we traded them and they still had the original front shocks.
The fronts probably needed replacing but I could never feel a problem with the front.
If I had changed the front I probably would have felt the improvement :)

I've always taken a simplistic view of suspension operation, even knowing that doing so is glossing over the subtleties.
The springs are what hold you up and provide the resistance to suspension travel in either direction (you are literally twisting a steel bar to compress your suspension). I view the damping, both compression and rebound, as just that: a dampening on the rate of wheel movement.
With that simplistic view one could say that if you are having issues with suspension bottoming on big dips, the problem should be addressed via the spring rather than with improved damping. Of course the pogoing suggests the damping isn't up to snuff, either, so the shocks do need attention.
If you are going to do a replacement, you may want to search out some stiffer (higher rate) springs, especially in the rear.

Back