• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100GS Heated Grips

leafman60

How hot are these things supposed to get??

I can put them on high for a while and they do get hot. To my bare hands they feel very warm but not uncomfortably hot like modern heated grips that I have. They also don't penetrate heavy gloves too great.

Any observations from experience will be appreciated.

Not sure if they'll answer your question but check some of the threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen. Quite a bit of on heated grips.

You could also use the Tag Cloud to search other threads...type in "heated" and see all of the past threads with this tag.

The grips on my 1993 GSPD never got anywhere near as hot as current bikes. ( Current being bikes made in the current millennium)

"Current"ly speaking, the grips on my '92 GSPD get hot enough to keep my hands warm for the coldest days that I've been out the last 12 years. (28 F)
I do not get to use them much around here, but when I do they work like magic!
It's the only bike I've owned that has them and don't have experience otherwise.

It seems to me that heated grips are supposed to supply just enough heat to keep the blood circulation working in the fingers and not cook'em like sausages.

The heated grips stopped working after a period of non use.
A local Airhead wrench suggested toggling the switch several times before troubleshooting, in this case it fixed the problem.
Bill

92 GSPD MT PINOS.jpeg

Last edited:
If I remember correctly the switch was 3 position. The center position was off. One position up or over was low and one position the other way was high. Off, High, and low. Pretty nice stuff for the late 70's and 80's. That in combination with the larger handguards was state of the art back then. Over time I added heated grips to a couple of my airheads, my K100RT and R1100RS. I added the R11000GS handguards to my R1100RS, thought it was pretty trick at the time.:thumb

On the airheads, I updated my charging at the same time. I planed on more future electrical accessories.

Bike

"Current"ly speaking, the grips on my '92 GSPD get hot enough to keep my hands warm for the coldest days that I've been out the last 12 years. (28 F)
I do not get to use them much around here, but when I do they've worked like magic!
It's the only bike I've owned that has them and don't have experience otherwise.

It seems to me that heated grips are supposed to supply just enough heat to keep the blood circulation working in the fingers and not cook'em like sausages.

The heated grips stopped working after a period of non use.
A local Airhead wrench suggested toggling the switch several times before troubleshooting, in this case it fixed the problem.
Bill

View attachment 76431

Very nice looking bike!
Now back to heated grips

Back