Thread: R100GS Heated Grips

R100GS Heated Grips

How hot are these things supposed to get??

I can put them on high for a while and they do get hot. To my bare hands they feel very warm but not uncomfortably hot like modern heated grips that I have. They also don't penetrate heavy gloves too great.

Any observations from experience will be appreciated.

Not sure if they'll answer your question but check some of the threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen. Quite a bit of on heated grips.

You could also use the Tag Cloud to search other threads...type in "heated" and see all of the past threads with this tag.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

The grips on my 1993 GSPD never got anywhere near as hot as current bikes. ( Current being bikes made in the current millennium)
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

"Current"ly speaking, the grips on my '92 GSPD get hot enough to keep my hands warm for the coldest days that I've been out the last 12 years. (28 F)
    I do not get to use them much around here, but when I do they've worked like magic!
    It's the only bike I've owned that has them and don't have experience otherwise.

It seems to me that heated grips are supposed to supply just enough heat to keep the blood circulation working in the fingers and not cook'em like sausages.

The heated grips stopped working after a period of non use.
    A local Airhead wrench suggested toggling the switch several times before troubleshooting, in this case it fixed the problem.
    Bill

92 GSPD MT PINOS.jpeg
    Last edited by tanker4me; 11-28-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers

If I remember correctly the switch was 3 position. The center position was off. One position up or over was low and one position the other way was high. Off, High, and low. Pretty nice stuff for the late 70's and 80's. That in combination with the larger handguards was state of the art back then. Over time I added heated grips to a couple of my airheads, my K100RT and R1100RS. I added the R11000GS handguards to my R1100RS, thought it was pretty trick at the time.

On the airheads, I updated my charging at the same time. I planed on more future electrical accessories.

Bike

Quote Originally Posted by tanker4me View Post
    "Current"ly speaking, the grips on my '92 GSPD get hot enough to keep my hands warm for the coldest days that I've been out the last 12 years. (28 F)
    I do not get to use them much around here, but when I do they've worked like magic!
    It's the only bike I've owned that has them and don't have experience otherwise.

It seems to me that heated grips are supposed to supply just enough heat to keep the blood circulation working in the fingers and not cook'em like sausages.

The heated grips stopped working after a period of non use.
    A local Airhead wrench suggested toggling the switch several times before troubleshooting, in this case it fixed the problem.
    Bill

92 GSPD MT PINOS.jpeg
    Very nice looking bike!
    Now back to heated grips