• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

We Survived the Attack of the Killer Border Patrol Speed Bumps!

mehrten

Mehrten
That is to say Wanda and I survived with a few bumps and bruises. Unfortunately BB, our 2019 K1600GT Sport, took a pretty nasty hit all along her right side. That “crunching” sound when plastic hits Terra Firma is really a bummer.

The gory details…

On our way to visit Wanda’s sister in Hemet, CA, the weekend of 23-24 November, we were heading north on Hwy 85 and had to come to a complete stop at the Border Patrol Check Point 18 miles south of Gila Bend, AZ. Our front tire came to rest just inches away from THE big, gnarly speed bumps.

When I was given the OK to proceed, I couldn’t see the hump directly in front of us though I knew it was there. I was aiming at the gap between the two-piece speed bump, but…missed it by that much ;)

Our front tire hit the edge of the right speed bump and kicked the front tire to the left, canting the bike to the right. The second speed bump row, immediately after the first row, stopped us dead in our tracks…and down we went. Crunch $$$!

Wanda has some sore ribs and I have a sore foot and thumb. The bike was rideable thought the right mirror would collapse every now and then. It was broken off internally. It appears there is an inner tether holding it on.

Just about every panel on the right side, including the front fairing, has a ding or scratch. As bleak as it sounds, when we talked to our Insurance Agent we found out we had the upper tier policy and should come out OK. We’ll see…after Iron Horse Motorcycles in Tucson, AZ does an estimate of repairs.

And that, Boys and Girls, is why you have to have more than one motorcycle!

Sorry to hear this.
The price of all those prepainted body panels will be a eye opener.

Hearing about this incident raises a couple of questions in my mind: Shouldn't a border patrol check point be at the border? Does a k1600 with Arizona plates and 2 up suggest to anybody that there are "wetbacks" on board? Finally, should these law enforcement agencies be able to stop ostensibly law abiding citizens "randomly" without articulable cause? I'm just wondering.:confused::confused:

Hearing about this incident raises a couple of questions in my mind: Shouldn't a border patrol check point be at the border? Does a k1600 with Arizona plates and 2 up suggest to anybody that there are "wetbacks" on board? Finally, should these law enforcement agencies be able to stop ostensibly law abiding citizens "randomly" without articulable cause? I'm just wondering.:confused::confused:

All along the border with Mexico there are "Immigration" checkpoints located away from the border. In the Texas Big Bend they are on I-10 east and north of El Paso; and on US67, TX118, and US 385 north of Presidio and Big Bend National Park.

Such checkpoints may be located anywhere within 100 miles of the US border (perimeter) including the Mexico border, the Canada border, and all of the coastlines. BP agents are authorized by the Patriot Act to stop and question anybody at any time with or without probable cause anywhere within this 100 mile perimeter. This perimeter for example includes all of Florida and all of the major coastal cities. It encompasses more than 80% of the US population. Many argue this is extra-constitutional or beyond the limits of the Constitution but heretofore such reasoning has not been sanctioned by the courts.

We live 53 miles south of Alpine, Texas on TX 118. There is such a checkpoint 38 miles north of our house. We go through this checkpoint every time we go to town. In fact, unless by air or cross country through mountainous terrain it is impossible for me to get as far north as US 90 without going through a checkpoint.

Sorry to hear this. The price of all those prepainted body panels will be a eye opener.

Lee,

Thanks for the sympathy.

I've had my eyes opened several times, though this may be the most expensive one yet.

Our paint scheme, Black Storm Metallic/Glacier Silver Metallic, was only available in the 2019 model.

Hopefully there will be some replacement parts available that are in the BSM/GSM scheme.

Otherwise it may be repair and repaint.

I have no problem with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

What I have a problem with is the methodology they use to slow vehicles down.

Those speed bumps wouldn't stop an escaping criminal, any four wheeled vehicle would run over them and maybe crash, maybe not.

For a slow moving motorcycle, they do present a problem at times. Seriously, some of these speed humps would surprise you.

One solution might be to position them such that a two wheeled vehicle can maneuver between them.

Problem is per one of the Agents every time a vehicle goes over them, they move...they are not staked down...they will move.

Placing the rows farther apart would also help. The second row in our case was less than a foot from the first row. Stopped us dead in our tracks.

I do plan on sending a letter to the CBP just to make me feel better...and maybe gain a sympathetic ear. Who knows.

According to the U.S. Government Accountability Office, ... The United States Supreme Court ruled that Border Patrol agents may stop a vehicle at fixed checkpoints for brief questioning of its occupants even if there is no reason to believe that the particular vehicle contains illegal people.

Even in places far removed from the border, deep into the interior of the country, immigration officials enjoy broad—though not limitless—powers. Specifically, federal regulations give U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) authority to operate within 100 miles of any U.S. "external boundary."

I used to go through a roaving checkpoint in rte 8 from Az. when entering Ca. and on the return back into Az. Checkpoints were usually 30 miles or so from states borders. If Ca. did the check entering Az. there wasn't another. If no checkpoint on the Ca. side, always knew within 30 miles or so there'd be one on the Az. side.

It's soul purpose is to visually check vehicles for illegals, but half the time, they had a dog walking along the lines of vehicles waiting to be checked by a BPA. Though it's illegal and not their stated purpose for raoving roadblocks, taking them to court at considerable expense is the only recourse when you're in their line, in the moment.

Our paint scheme, Black Storm Metallic/Glacier Silver Metallic, was only available in the 2019 model.

Hopefully there will be some replacement parts available that are in the BSM/GSM scheme.

Otherwise it may be repair and repaint.

In 2005 both of our 2003 K1200RSs went over in a storm.
We had the navy and white Zebra color and were able to purchase all the needed prepainted parts.
I think the dealer made more profit on the repair than they did on selling the bikes :)
If the prepainted parts are not available you can buy primer parts plus all the decals.

If the prepainted parts are not available you can buy primer parts plus all the decals.

Lee,

Looking at RealOem I found some of the old Brick decals are no longer available. That really puts a cramp in restoring some of those checker board and red stripped bricks.

I haven't done my RealOem homework yet on the parts for our K1600 though I will before we drop the bike off for the repair estimate.

I'm really curious what broke inside the front fairing that the mirror was mounted to.

And that might be the big expense. Just getting everything off the front noise piece takes some manhours and if the subframe (??) is broke...$$$

Sorry about your mishap, Deryle! But glad that you and Wanda did not incur more serious injuries. Those BP speed bumps can be nasty indeed, I’ll be double-careful next time I get stopped at a checkpoint.

Good luck with the repairs!

DeVern

I would not be shocked to hear that your bike is written off by the insurance company. The parts and labor may be enough, along with a possible paint job if the needed replacement panels are not available, to bring the repair cost over their threshold for totaling the bike.

We live close to the Canadian border and never encountered a checkpoint. I think we need some. Every year around this time it seems half of Alberta flows through here on their way to AZ.

Good to hear your injuries were not more serious.

We live close to the Canadian border and never encountered a checkpoint.

I don't remember ever seeing a checkpoint near the Canada border.
Lived a couple years in NH 70 miles from Canada, Northern NY one year 60 miles from Canada and worked a few months in ND 17 miles from Canada.

I would not be shocked to hear that your bike is written off by the insurance company. The parts and labor may be enough, along with a possible paint job if the needed replacement panels are not available, to bring the repair cost over their threshold for totaling the bike.

It's possible.
Seems like our Zebra panels cost twice as much as a solid color.
The multi color panels on the GT probably cost much more than a solid color.

We live close to the Canadian border and never encountered a checkpoint. I think we need some. Every year around this time it seems half of Alberta flows through here on their way to AZ.

:rofl In previous years it may have been half - but lately our economy is keeping us at home. I would want to check all those big trailers they are pulling, likely carrying a good supply of Canadian Whiskey. :dance

:rofl In previous years it may have been half - but lately our economy is keeping us at home. I would want to check all those big trailers they are pulling, likely carrying a good supply of Canadian Whiskey. :dance

Ha, we call them "Alberta Clippers" as the fly down I-15 at a high rate of speed. We have some great friends in Lethbridge and Dawson City. They visit a few times a year and always bring whisky (God Bless their pea picken hearts) but it is always Irish or Scotch (God Bless their pea picken hearts).

I did some snooping to see why the right mirror was dangling.

Getting to the mirror mount was actually quite easy. A few screws, the right speaker comes off and there's the mounting point for the mirror.

First off, there is a tether. A rather stout one.

Second, the right front panel carrier is broke.

The right mirror did not collapse, it broke off its mounting tab on the right front panel carrier. About $530 per the web.

With some more snooping it appears the front nose is two pieces and only the right side is damaged.

That simplifies the panel carrier and front nose removal from what I see on the K16 RepRom.

Still the amount of labor needed to take stuff off and put new back on will probably be the biggest bite.

Thanks to all for the kind words. We appreciate it.

And hope all had a excellent Thanksgiving.

:rofl I would want to check all those big trailers they are pulling, likely carrying a good supply of Canadian Whiskey. :dance

A buddy of mine, rest his bones - cancer, worked at the Nogales, AZ Border Check.

If an RV came through with Canadian plates the fuel tanks were immediately suspect.

They carried Canadian Whiskey south, then tanked up with Tequila for the return trip north!

Sometimes more than 50 gallons!

Update...

The estimated damage came in at just below $7,000.

The large right side panel, with emblem mount et. al., and the right saddle bag were the most $$$.

The mirror did not collapse or fold over, rather it broke off the mirror tang on the right control panel mount.

The panel mount is about $450 and requires a bunch of labor to get it off and back on.

Progressive has given Iron Horse the green light to order all the needed parts.

Several of the painted parts are on order from the Fatherland. Could take a month.

Good to have the '02 K1200RS and the '16 R1200RS in the garage and ready to ride ;)

Most likely the gold inlaid clear pine boards I buy at Lowe's and home depot. Wanna talk about inflation?

Back