• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How many members use a hammock while moto camping?

Trying to get an idea how many members use a tent vs a hammock here.

thanks

I have attended 34 BMW MOA national rallies and a few hundred local rallies. I recall seeing maybe 4 or 5 folks sleeping overnight in a hammock in all that time. It might have been the same guy for all I know. JJ used to sleep in his Kayak. Tom Dean just rolled up in his tent the yeaar he forgot his poles. I've seen several folks beside their bikes on the ground, but very few hammocks. I tried one when I was a kid. It killed my back since I normally sleep on my side.

Being assured of available, properly spaced trees is probably the biggest deterent. :dunno

:dance:dance:dance

I’ve used a hammock for several years now and love it. My son got me started after hammock camping with the Scouts. I don’t think it is the best for rallies as you need plenty of trees and you tend to be isolated from the group. But the sleep in a hammock is far better for me than a tent or the ground. I love mine for solo camping and when I want to get a little further off the beaten path. Seems to fit well with the motorcycle.

I used one for years when canoe camping. The model I used was a Hennessy (https://hennessyhammock.com). I sold it to a guy with a Hexhead a few years ago, and he thought it was great. The big problem (as noted above) is getting trees properly placed.

It’s not what you think. You sleep diagonally acros the hammock. My Hennessy had complete insect netting, full tent coverage and no hard ground.

I love an afternoon nap in a hammock, but I'm also a side sleeper so they don't work for me at night. There are some that are advertised to work for side sleepers by sleeping at an angle, but the pictures don't look very comfortable to me for the way I sleep.

You might be surprised at the comfort with a good hammock. I sleep on my
stomach in a bed and assumed I would never get a good nights rest in a hammock. But, as John suggests, you sleep diagonally in the hammock with your feet somewhat elevated above your head. The slow rocking motion and even support across your entire body and I’ve never slept better. Very rarely do I wake up in the hammock or need to roll over, unlike a night in a tent where I constantly reposition.

The previously mentioned son sleeps in nothing but a hammock - he doesn’t own a bed. I had to put eye bolts in the wall for him and when he left for college, he bought a stand. I’m curious to find out what happens when a wife shows up.

I was doubtful when I first started, but getting the proper equipment, including bug net and under quilt, makes a big difference. I still tent camp because the tent is actually a little easier to erect, but on a cool night with some solid trees and you can’t beat the hammock.

You might be surprised at the comfort with a good hammock. I sleep on my
stomach in a bed and assumed I would never get a good nights rest in a hammock. But, as John suggests, you sleep diagonally in the hammock with your feet somewhat elevated above your head. The slow rocking motion and even support across your entire body and I’ve never slept better. Very rarely do I wake up in the hammock or need to roll over, unlike a night in a tent where I constantly reposition.

The previously mentioned son sleeps in nothing but a hammock - he doesn’t own a bed. I had to put eye bolts in the wall for him and when he left for college, he bought a stand. I’m curious to find out what happens when a wife shows up.

I was doubtful when I first started, but getting the proper equipment, including bug net and under quilt, makes a big difference. I still tent camp because the tent is actually a little easier to erect, but on a cool night with some solid trees and you can’t beat the hammock.

Ted, with a decade of experience under my belt running university dormitories, I can assure you that your son has been rehearsing for having a wife and auditioning candidates with great vigor and enthusiasm. :)

Ted, with a decade of experience under my belt running university dormitories, I can assure you that your son has been rehearsing for having a wife and auditioning candidates with great vigor and enthusiasm. :)

As a former Res Lifer myself, I have to agree with your observation :)

I have the ENO that packs up so small I take it everywhere...even on a day ride when I want to take a break....I pull off the road, usually somewhere in a national forest and relax for a bit. I also have the whole netting system and I find it quite nice to be suspended and not on the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've never actually tried any of the new style of hammocks but I'm not convinced. I'm definitely a tent and Kermit chair type of guy plus I like my vestibules.

"If God had meant us to fly, He'd buy the tickets"
If God intended for me to sleep in a hammock, there would be perfectly spaced trees everywhere I camp. (there is ground)
Oh, and no wind & rain.
A friend that loves his hammock convinced me to try one.
I've had it 5 years and have yet to use it.
For most weather conditions a six year old 15 degree Big Agnes system bag and a 2 man tent work for me.
Recently purchased a second Big Agnes "system" sleeping bag that's rated to 0 degrees.
As a fair weather camper I avoid most bad weather but have been caught in storms, especially when desert camping in the winter.
I have upgraded my gear accordingly and use a North Face VE-25 for winter & high elevation camping.
I'll keep the hammock in case I start rock climbing again.
Bill

Last edited:
I have a Texas friend who likes to hammock camp.
He mentioned their's a forum called hammock forum. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/

Here's a few pictures of his hammocks I copied from one of his ride reports.

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

Back