Thread: Cat-less exhaust.

Hi all. Love my RT!

I think my 2018 R1200RT is all I'll need for while.
    Last edited by gordsmarsredrt; 11-28-2019 at 03:05 AM.

Gord:

I believe you wrote earlier that you were considering getting a full Remus system for it.

I've had full systems on my last two Boxers, and have been impressed with them, but didn't see any header systems for the Wethead on the Remus website. There is reference to a header system in the RS thread in ADVrider, but not much detail.

I haven't installed a system on my new R1200RS, as I was satisfied with the sound of the stock system, but I have now decided to have a Remus titanium slip on can installed next spring leaving the stock header / cat on.

And welcome.
    Last edited by Rinty; 11-29-2019 at 11:40 PM.
    Rinty

Hi Rinty. Nice to read your comment and yes, I did originally say I was thinking about changing my exhaust. When no one commented I figured I'd crossed some forbidden line by suggesting I might go Cat-Less so I tried to remove my thread. Ended up just changing it to how it reads now. I really do love the R1200RT. Mine's a 2018. In two seasons I've logged almost 27,500 miles (44,000km).

I did a bit of research and found a full Remus system available at www.pirateslair.net. Pirates' Lair sells a Remus stainless steel header as well as Titanium, Carbon Fiber or S.S. silencers to fit R1200s and R1250s. Very pricy but very pretty. I've placed my order. My bike's parked until March now so I won't get to enjoy the new noise until then.

Best regards from the B.C. Interior.

Quote Originally Posted by gordsmarsredrt View Post
    Hi Rinty. Nice to read your comment and yes, I did originally say I was thinking about changing my exhaust. When no one commented I figured I'd crossed some forbidden line by suggesting I might go Cat-Less so I tried to remove my thread. Ended up just changing it to how it reads now. I really do love the R1200RT. Mine's a 2018. In two seasons I've logged almost 27,500 miles (44,000km).

I did a bit of research and found a full Remus system available at www.pirateslair.net. Pirates' Lair sells a Remus stainless steel header as well as Titanium, Carbon Fiber or S.S. silencers to fit R1200s and R1250s. Very pricy but very pretty. I've placed my order. My bike's parked until March now so I won't get to enjoy the new noise until then.

Best regards from the B.C. Interior.
    Your going to love the Remus stuff.

I run a Remus 8 on my GS with Akrapovic headers as I could not buy the Remus header here in the USA due to a stop sale order from the EPA because they were located in CA.

It is not much louder then stock until you really grab a wrist full.

It is louder on start up because you dont have the flap. What that means is when you start it the sound is as though you were doing 30MPH or whatever MPH that flap opens. And in regards to the flap it does NOTHING with back pressure as has been said befor. It is strictly noise reduction.

In regards to that you will need this Servo Buddy if you are taking the cables off. It works so well it will pass the test of the flap using the GS-911 and there is NOTHING there. https://www.skutr.net/servo-eliminators/

Enjoy and have fun your going to love your system. It is not scare little kids loud UNLESS you really want it to be. You can leave in the morning without waking up your neighbors. It is as with anything a bit of a learning curve and then you can be as civil or as bad as you would like to be.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

I did a bit of research and found a full Remus system available at www.pirateslair.net. .
    Pirate is a good vendor
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    Your going to love the Remus stuff.

I run a Remus 8 on my GS with Akrapovic headers as I could not buy the Remus header here in the USA due to a stop sale order from the EPA because they were located in CA.

It is not much louder then stock until you really grab a wrist full.

It is louder on start up because you dont have the flap. What that means is when you start it the sound is as though you were doing 30MPH or whatever MPH that flap opens. And in regards to the flap it does NOTHING with back pressure as has been said befor. It is strictly noise reduction.

In regards to that you will need this Servo Buddy if you are taking the cables off. It works so well it will pass the test of the flap using the GS-911 and there is NOTHING there. https://www.skutr.net/servo-eliminators/

Enjoy and have fun your going to love your system. It is not scare little kids loud UNLESS you really want it to be. You can leave in the morning without waking up your neighbors. It is as with anything a bit of a learning curve and then you can be as civil or as bad as you would like to be.
    I believe one solution to FI codes is to remove the flap and cables but leave the servo connected. Alternatively, the Servo-Eliminator looks like a good option.

Thanks.
    Gord

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Pirate is a good vendor
    Never been on their site before; lots of cool stuff, and I really like the girl.
    Rinty

Neat site...love their header/collector description, especially: "This header/collector system eliminates the catalytic converter for increased HP, reduced weight, and longer lasting erections."
    Re cat removal, this was recently discussed on a HD forum and the [informed?] consensus was that the HP gain was minimal if at all...comments

Also a question: Does any of this require a remap? (slip ons, cat removal etc.)

Re cat removal, this was recently discussed on a HD forum and the [informed?] consensus was that the HP gain was minimal if at all...comments

Also a question: Does any of this require a remap? (slip ons, cat removal etc.)[/QUOTE]

Regarding cat removal and/or slip ons: Jerry from Pirates's Lair told me his Remus rep says, "bolt on and ride." "The bike's ECU will compensate for changes. No remap necessary." The few reviews I read reported better throttle response and a small increase in performance. I guess I'll find out.
    Gord - Current bike: 2018 R1200RT.

Past BMWs: '77 R100S, '77 R100RS, ('75 2002)

I believe one solution to FI codes is to remove the flap and cables but leave the servo connected. Alternatively, the Servo-Eliminator looks like a good option.

Thanks.
    Gord
    You are correct I just could see no sense in leaving anything there for the price of the Servo Buddy. I mean when you are 1800 dollars in on a exhaust system the Servo Buddy is peanuts to eliminate it all and have a clean install.

YMMV
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    You are correct I just could see no sense in leaving anything there for the price of the Servo Buddy. I mean when you are 1800 dollars in on a exhaust system the Servo Buddy is peanuts to eliminate it all and have a clean install.

YMMV
    A clean install is important, I agree. I'm going with the Servo Buddy.
    Gord - Current bike: 2018 R1200RT.

Past BMWs: '77 R100S, '77 R100RS, ('75 2002)