• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Finally had my first accident...

Slow speed broadside. Nobody was going more than 10mph. ATTGATT and Ilium engine guards did their job. I'm a little sore in a couple places but got an all clear from the ER this morning at 4am. Long night. Not going to get into details until insurance claims are settled.

But I am going to need (all for a 2015 R1200RT):

Ilium engine guards

Left side mirror

Left pannier

right spark plug cover

right valve cover

Any ideas on suppliers for these parts that isn't the mothership?

Thanks in advance.

Slow speed broadside. Nobody was going more than 10mph. ATTGATT and Ilium engine guards did their job. I'm a little sore in a couple places but got an all clear from the ER this morning at 4am. Long night. Not going to get into details until insurance claims are settled.

Ilium engine guards

Left side mirror

Left pannier

right spark plug cover

right valve cover

Any ideas on suppliers for these parts that isn't the mothership?

Thanks in advance.

Captainmarko you can try Beemer Boneyard...They carry used parts. BMW MOA Marketplace sometimes have parts too.

...and Ilium engine guards did their job...

Ilium engine guards

Left pannier

right spark plug cover

right valve cover

You had Illium guards and still needed a valve cover, panniers (no pannier protector presumably?), plug cover & new engine guards. What job did the guard actually do then? Maybe helped save your lower leg you're thinking? 10mph would be enough to do pretty severe damage, but it's a bit of a puzzle what role the guards actually played in your scenario.

You had Illium guards and still needed a valve cover, panniers (no pannier protector presumably?), plug cover & new engine guards. What job did the guard actually do then? Maybe helped save your lower leg you're thinking? 10mph would be enough to do pretty severe damage, but it's a bit of a puzzle what role the guards actually played in your scenario.

I love it. You have no details other than my brief overview, which didn't even address the details of the accident, and yet you feel qualified to make that statement.

But in the spirit a fellow rider, I'll explain.

The engine guards did their job by absorbing the majority of the impact. Had they not been there, the valve covers would have taken the entirety of the damage, although I have no idea what that would have been. Based on how bent up they are, I doubt I would have been able to ride it home.

The impact was enough to bend the engine guard back, where it hit the valve cover enough to knock some paint off, and impacted the plastic spark plug cover enough to crack it. And you are correct, I did not have the pannier protectors. When the bike was knocked over, it landed on the left pannier, the left engine guard, and the mirror. Both the left pannier and the left mirror are pretty cracked up and need to be replaced.

Lighten up Captain. Some of us didn't read that as a statement as much as a question. Thanks for adding the additional details, also glad your OK.

I've seen the Ilium guards advertised for some time now, what is your overall opinion of them? I know you are trying to replace the ones you had but would you recommend them to someone who is starting from scratch with no guards?

I see engine guards as tip over protectors. Add any speed, even 10 mph, and they are just sacrificial.

I see engine guards as tip over protectors. Add any speed, even 10 mph, and they are just sacrificial.

Yeah, I think of engine guards in the same way. “Normally”, protection products are designed to “take the hit” as too much strength transmits to the frame areas and bends the frame.
Reinstalling an (new/replacement) engine guard that has been “sacrificed” is a way to see how a frame is doing for straightness.
OM

...The impact was enough to bend the engine guard back, where it hit the valve cover enough to knock some paint off, and impacted the plastic spark plug cover enough to crack it. And you are correct, I did not have the pannier protectors. When the bike was knocked over, it landed on the left pannier, the left engine guard, and the mirror. Both the left pannier and the left mirror are pretty cracked up and need to be replaced.

Glad you're OK and the bike suffered less damage than it could have without the engine guards.

I suspect that all would have come out of this better if you had the illium pannier protectors too because they would have taken the impact at the back and may have kept the bike farther off the ground (although depending on the terrain where the bike went down it may not have mattered).

You might want to consider adding the pannier guards when you do the repairs.

Yep. Sorry for the tone of that post. Long day.

No worries. I hope you can share the details of the collision when the insurance concerns settle out or what have you. My brother had this happen to his new FJR1300ES a few years ago and he also came out of it essentially unscathed too but his bike was totaled:

IMG_0979.jpg

We engage in a dangerous activity but then again we live in a precarious universe that doesn't give a rip what happens to individuals. When I turned 61y/o I don't remember exactly what had me rethinking riding again as it had been 28y since I owned and rode a moto. I pretty much forgot I rode bikes as a young person after we had our ID twin daughters. I'm pretty sure it was this comment in someone's signature that tipped the balance towards making the decision to buy a used moto and ride again, "Why tiptoe thru life only to arrive safely at Death's Door". That and we have a long and deep history of having strokes in my extended family!

Back