Thread: Finally had my first accident...

Finally had my first accident...

Slow speed broadside. Nobody was going more than 10mph. ATTGATT and Ilium engine guards did their job. I'm a little sore in a couple places but got an all clear from the ER this morning at 4am. Long night. Not going to get into details until insurance claims are settled.

But I am going to need (all for a 2015 R1200RT):

Ilium engine guards

Left side mirror

Left pannier

right spark plug cover

right valve cover

Any ideas on suppliers for these parts that isn't the mothership?

Thanks in advance.
    Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmarko View Post
    Slow speed broadside. Nobody was going more than 10mph. ATTGATT and Ilium engine guards did their job. I'm a little sore in a couple places but got an all clear from the ER this morning at 4am. Long night. Not going to get into details until insurance claims are settled.

Ilium engine guards

Left side mirror

Left pannier

right spark plug cover

right valve cover

Any ideas on suppliers for these parts that isn't the mothership?

Thanks in advance.

Captainmarko you can try Beemer Boneyard...They carry used parts. BMW MOA Marketplace sometimes have parts too.
    2016 R1200RTW 2014 DRZ400S 2013 FJR1300A

Glad that you are OK

You can also check:

Moto-Bins: https://www.motobins.co.uk/

or Motorworks: http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Home/index.php
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2007 R1200RT - IBA # 56396

Sorry for your mishap and glad you only sustained minor injuries.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

...and Ilium engine guards did their job...

Ilium engine guards

Left pannier

right spark plug cover

right valve cover
    You had Illium guards and still needed a valve cover, panniers (no pannier protector presumably?), plug cover & new engine guards. What job did the guard actually do then? Maybe helped save your lower leg you're thinking? 10mph would be enough to do pretty severe damage, but it's a bit of a puzzle what role the guards actually played in your scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    You had Illium guards and still needed a valve cover, panniers (no pannier protector presumably?), plug cover & new engine guards. What job did the guard actually do then? Maybe helped save your lower leg you're thinking? 10mph would be enough to do pretty severe damage, but it's a bit of a puzzle what role the guards actually played in your scenario.
    I love it. You have no details other than my brief overview, which didn't even address the details of the accident, and yet you feel qualified to make that statement.

But in the spirit a fellow rider, I'll explain.

The engine guards did their job by absorbing the majority of the impact. Had they not been there, the valve covers would have taken the entirety of the damage, although I have no idea what that would have been. Based on how bent up they are, I doubt I would have been able to ride it home.

The impact was enough to bend the engine guard back, where it hit the valve cover enough to knock some paint off, and impacted the plastic spark plug cover enough to crack it. And you are correct, I did not have the pannier protectors. When the bike was knocked over, it landed on the left pannier, the left engine guard, and the mirror. Both the left pannier and the left mirror are pretty cracked up and need to be replaced.
    Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.

Lighten up Captain. Some of us didn't read that as a statement as much as a question. Thanks for adding the additional details, also glad your OK.

I've seen the Ilium guards advertised for some time now, what is your overall opinion of them? I know you are trying to replace the ones you had but would you recommend them to someone who is starting from scratch with no guards?
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

I see engine guards as tip over protectors. Add any speed, even 10 mph, and they are just sacrificial.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    I see engine guards as tip over protectors. Add any speed, even 10 mph, and they are just sacrificial.
    Yeah, I think of engine guards in the same way. “Normally”, protection products are designed to “take the hit” as too much strength transmits to the frame areas and bends the frame.
    Reinstalling an (new/replacement) engine guard that has been “sacrificed” is a way to see how a frame is doing for straightness.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

...The impact was enough to bend the engine guard back, where it hit the valve cover enough to knock some paint off, and impacted the plastic spark plug cover enough to crack it. And you are correct, I did not have the pannier protectors. When the bike was knocked over, it landed on the left pannier, the left engine guard, and the mirror. Both the left pannier and the left mirror are pretty cracked up and need to be replaced.
    Glad you're OK and the bike suffered less damage than it could have without the engine guards.

I suspect that all would have come out of this better if you had the illium pannier protectors too because they would have taken the impact at the back and may have kept the bike farther off the ground (although depending on the terrain where the bike went down it may not have mattered).

You might want to consider adding the pannier guards when you do the repairs.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

Quote Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
    Glad you're OK and the bike suffered less damage than it could have without the engine guards.
    Not to mention the potential impact on the lower leg.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/