• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

lower bars for an r100rt

My R80 was converted from an RT to a naked bike with gaiters and lower bars. The bars are the "S" type off a K series (a K75 I believe) with the truncated curve and flat "bottom.". If you search around there's plenty of threads on the subject of lower or Euro bars.

has anyone installed lower handle bars on a r100rt ?, from s bars up, with photos please ,thanks in advance Jimmy:thumb

Gonna be a tight fit if you plan on retaining the RT fairing. You could fit RS bars, but you might want to do some upper body strength training first.

Friedle

That's the bar I was going to suggest.

This was the common suggestion for the RS fairing. I haven't heard of someone wanting lower bars on an RT-faired bike; more often, if wind buffeting or the like is the issue with an RT, folks usually go with a taller/different windshield or some windshield "enhancement", like a Laminar Lip, or the various "winglet" add-on offerings from various sellers. Enhanced comfort from lower bars generally assumes that some portion of the rider's upper body weight will be borne by varying amounts of frontal wind pressure (on the shoulders with an RS, or upper body on an S-faired or naked bike), which is nearly completely absent behind an RT fairing. I don't know that there'd be any bar/control/fairing interference issues with lower bars behind an RT fairing, but lower bars make a lot more sense if you're planning to remove the RT fairing.

thanks everyone

After rideing this bike for nearly 40 years with an RS fairing and bars ,and 3 other airheads with S bars and an r90s before that at an ageing 72 this year I thought an RT fairing would be the complete answer, and is, almost, I dont want to go back to the RS fairing and bars, just to have a lower set of bars, I have picked up a set of Suzuki bars about 1.5 to 2 inches lower and much the same pull back so may try these for next season , thanks all bye for now Jimmy:ca

Attachments

• red rt again 012.jpg
    red rt again 012.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 43
Nice-looking RS-to-RT conversion! I’m not sure, but there may be issues trying to fit 7/8” UJM bars into BMW’s 22mm handlebar clamps, or getting OEM levers/controls to fit well onto 7/8” bars. Solutions may be easy, but I’ll leave it to others to opine. Let the rest of us RT users know how your tweaks work out.

Back