Thread: lower bars for an r100rt

jimmy armour

lower bars for an r100rt

has anyone installed lower handle bars on a r100rt ?, from s bars up, with photos please ,thanks in advance Jimmy

My R80 was converted from an RT to a naked bike with gaiters and lower bars. The bars are the "S" type off a K series (a K75 I believe) with the truncated curve and flat "bottom.". If you search around there's plenty of threads on the subject of lower or Euro bars.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwjarmour View Post
    has anyone installed lower handle bars on a r100rt ?, from s bars up, with photos please ,thanks in advance Jimmy
    Gonna be a tight fit if you plan on retaining the RT fairing. You could fit RS bars, but you might want to do some upper body strength training first.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Years ago it seemed that K75C were the goto bars everyone swapped to.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Years ago it seemed that K75C were the goto bars everyone swapped to.
    That's the bar I was going to suggest.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    That's the bar I was going to suggest.
    This was the common suggestion for the RS fairing. I haven't heard of someone wanting lower bars on an RT-faired bike; more often, if wind buffeting or the like is the issue with an RT, folks usually go with a taller/different windshield or some windshield "enhancement", like a Laminar Lip, or the various "winglet" add-on offerings from various sellers. Enhanced comfort from lower bars generally assumes that some portion of the rider's upper body weight will be borne by varying amounts of frontal wind pressure (on the shoulders with an RS, or upper body on an S-faired or naked bike), which is nearly completely absent behind an RT fairing. I don't know that there'd be any bar/control/fairing interference issues with lower bars behind an RT fairing, but lower bars make a lot more sense if you're planning to remove the RT fairing.

jimmy armour

thanks everyone

After rideing this bike for nearly 40 years with an RS fairing and bars ,and 3 other airheads with S bars and an r90s before that at an ageing 72 this year I thought an RT fairing would be the complete answer, and is, almost, I dont want to go back to the RS fairing and bars, just to have a lower set of bars, I have picked up a set of Suzuki bars about 1.5 to 2 inches lower and much the same pull back so may try these for next season , thanks all bye for now Jimmy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice-looking RS-to-RT conversion! Im not sure, but there may be issues trying to fit 7/8 UJM bars into BMWs 22mm handlebar clamps, or getting OEM levers/controls to fit well onto 7/8 bars. Solutions may be easy, but Ill leave it to others to opine. Let the rest of us RT users know how your tweaks work out.