• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shop knowledge - where are you?

Paul, you lose on this one. It is #8.

So 19 lb/ft or 149 lb/ft...depends on which service department one contacts.

It's a T-60 head with bushing mating with a M8 bolt. How many M8's do 149 lb/ft? Wish I had this available when I was trying to determine value. Not much room on back size for a 13mm wrench...chain runs pretty close.

Thanks Dan. Now I know what fastener was in question. It looks like a candidate for blue thread locker to me. :)

149lb/ft seems pretty tight...
I don't think I have a torque wrench that goes that high.

Just to reiterate, 149 ft lbs is the wrong number for sure. Forget it was ever mentioned. I don't think there is a single fastener on a BMW motorcycle that takes that high a torque.

Just to reiterate, 149 ft lbs is the wrong number for sure. Forget it was ever mentioned. I don't think there is a single fastener on a BMW motorcycle that takes that high a torque.

Sorry, I must have missed something along the way.
I agree with you, the rear lugs take about half of that.

2500 size pickup truck lug nut torque is 140, just for reference.
OM

Final drive pinion nuts get 200 Nm and airhead output flange nuts get 220. They’re the only ones I can think of that go that high and you need to set up properly and work a bit to actually achieve them.

I wonder what the shop was looking at when they quoted that on the shifter.

I have worked with some guys that could turn wrenches for the rest of their lives and still could not do an oil change without screwing something up!

Sure, but I have met a couple of dozen at tech days that sought to learn. Lets not get too supremist here.

I’m not familiar with anyone starting out an expert.
OM

Absolutely!!
I'm a "Hobbies Wrench", started out without a clue several decades ago. I;m sure I asked my share of dumb questions and still do. The fact that people are still interested in working on thier bikes and learning how they work impreses me. Keep the hobby going....

Some people should not be allowed to own wrenches.

Perhaps. However, in this thread's case, it is information provided by the (suppose to be knowing) source (BMW dealership service department), that shouldn't be allow to disseminate.

Perhaps. However, in this thread's case, it is information provided by the (suppose to be knowing) source (BMW dealership service department), that shouldn't be allow to disseminate.

I don’t know about all that. I myself try to check information in two directions and realize that if I call a place for information, it’s probably going to be a bit rough. If it’s an established relationship, the information flow will be a lot better and free flowing.
I realize that calling for a torque spec means bothering two or three people for the information. Sometimes questions receive a better answer with a visit. Even calling a distributor for information may not get what you need unless you can get to someone that has actually done the work.
Think how much better things would be if everyone respected each other’s time.
OM

I don’t know about all that. I myself try to check information in two directions and realize that if I call a place for information, it’s probably going to be a bit rough. If it’s an established relationship, the information flow will be a lot better and free flowing.
I realize that calling for a torque spec means bothering two or three people for the information. Sometimes questions receive a better answer with a visit. Even calling a distributor for information may not get what you need unless you can get to someone that has actually done the work.
Think how much better things would be if everyone respected each other’s time.
OM

Oh, I respectfully disagree. When the "visit" is a 160 mile trip, then a phone call is more than proper. Especially if one just dropped $15-25,000 on a unit, from their dealership, that the customer now needs just one CORRECT torque value. I'll assume 1% of the unit purchase should cover the cost of a two digit response. Of course, they give me a thee digit response that was 130 lb/ft too much. However, I still respect their time by not calling them as much. Plus, they, as well as most other dealers, tell you during the selling phase that their service department is the best around and don't ever hesitate to call us with any questions...that's what we are here for.

Oh, I respectfully disagree. When the "visit" is a 160 mile trip, then a phone call is more than proper. Especially if one just dropped $15-25,000 on a unit, from their dealership, that the customer now needs just one CORRECT torque value. I'll assume 1% of the unit purchase should cover the cost of a two digit response. Of course, they give me a thee digit response that was 130 lb/ft too much. However, I still respect their time by not calling them as much. Plus, they, as well as most other dealers, tell you during the selling phase that their service department is the best around and don't ever hesitate to call us with any questions...that's what we are here for.

Which is among what he said. You do have an established relationship with that dealership.

Back