Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Shop knowledge - where are you?

  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    St Lazare, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    309
    Some people should not be allowed to own wrenches.

  2. #32
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    3,314
    Quote Originally Posted by flhfxd View Post
    Some people should not be allowed to own wrenches.
    Most appropriate comment so far.

  3. #33
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,349
    Quote Originally Posted by flhfxd View Post
    Some people should not be allowed to own wrenches.
    Iím not familiar with anyone starting out an expert.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  4. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Iím not familiar with anyone starting out an expert.
    OM
    I have worked with some guys that could turn wrenches for the rest of their lives and still could not do an oil change without screwing something up!
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I have worked with some guys that could turn wrenches for the rest of their lives and still could not do an oil change without screwing something up!
    Sure, but I have met a couple of dozen at tech days that sought to learn. Lets not get too supremist here.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  6. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Iím not familiar with anyone starting out an expert.
    OM
    Absolutely!!
    I'm a "Hobbies Wrench", started out without a clue several decades ago. I;m sure I asked my share of dumb questions and still do. The fact that people are still interested in working on thier bikes and learning how they work impreses me. Keep the hobby going....

  7. #37
    Registered User Motodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by flhfxd View Post
    Some people should not be allowed to own wrenches.
    Perhaps. However, in this thread's case, it is information provided by the (suppose to be knowing) source (BMW dealership service department), that shouldn't be allow to disseminate.
    F850GSA

    MOA #46783

  8. #38
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Perhaps. However, in this thread's case, it is information provided by the (suppose to be knowing) source (BMW dealership service department), that shouldn't be allow to disseminate.
    I donít know about all that. I myself try to check information in two directions and realize that if I call a place for information, itís probably going to be a bit rough. If itís an established relationship, the information flow will be a lot better and free flowing.
    I realize that calling for a torque spec means bothering two or three people for the information. Sometimes questions receive a better answer with a visit. Even calling a distributor for information may not get what you need unless you can get to someone that has actually done the work.
    Think how much better things would be if everyone respected each otherís time.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  9. #39
    Registered User Motodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I don’t know about all that. I myself try to check information in two directions and realize that if I call a place for information, it’s probably going to be a bit rough. If it’s an established relationship, the information flow will be a lot better and free flowing.
    I realize that calling for a torque spec means bothering two or three people for the information. Sometimes questions receive a better answer with a visit. Even calling a distributor for information may not get what you need unless you can get to someone that has actually done the work.
    Think how much better things would be if everyone respected each other’s time.
    OM
    Oh, I respectfully disagree. When the "visit" is a 160 mile trip, then a phone call is more than proper. Especially if one just dropped $15-25,000 on a unit, from their dealership, that the customer now needs just one CORRECT torque value. I'll assume 1% of the unit purchase should cover the cost of a two digit response. Of course, they give me a thee digit response that was 130 lb/ft too much. However, I still respect their time by not calling them as much. Plus, they, as well as most other dealers, tell you during the selling phase that their service department is the best around and don't ever hesitate to call us with any questions...that's what we are here for.
    F850GSA

    MOA #46783

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Oh, I respectfully disagree. When the "visit" is a 160 mile trip, then a phone call is more than proper. Especially if one just dropped $15-25,000 on a unit, from their dealership, that the customer now needs just one CORRECT torque value. I'll assume 1% of the unit purchase should cover the cost of a two digit response. Of course, they give me a thee digit response that was 130 lb/ft too much. However, I still respect their time by not calling them as much. Plus, they, as well as most other dealers, tell you during the selling phase that their service department is the best around and don't ever hesitate to call us with any questions...that's what we are here for.
    Which is among what he said. You do have an established relationship with that dealership.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Similar Threads

  1. Local Knowledge Please - Hwy 108 or Hwy 4
    By Mark H in forum Ride Reports
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-20-2013, 08:15 PM
  2. Looking for ride advice from Forum knowledge bank
    By KBikeKev in forum Ride Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 03:23 AM
  3. So many questioins so little knowledge
    By tourist in forum Wedge K-bikes
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 08:48 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 06:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •