• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Exhaust headers 2013 r1200 RT Anniversity

05biggray

What material are the exhaust headers made from 2013 r1200rt annivrtsity?
Are they stainless or chrome pipe.?
Thanks

If they are blue they are chromed.
If they are brown they are stainless steel.

If they are shiny silver, you need to ride more and polish less.

Headers

Chrome - single wall pipe

Thank all, I, am beginning to lose faith in BMW. My first was a 65 or 66 R500 Menister fairing and panniers earl suspension once you got up to 70 was a dream. Now I, pay 24K and get crap Pipe’s. My old Triumph never looked this bad.
Happy a Thanksgiving to All
David

Thank all, I, am beginning to lose faith in BMW. My first was a 65 or 66 R500 Menister fairing and panniers earl suspension once you got up to 70 was a dream. Now I, pay 24K and get crap Pipe’s. My old Triumph never looked this bad.
David

Well, all of the Airhead bikes starting with the/5 series in 1969 had single wall chrome pipes that eventually turned blue, so it is not a new thing at all.

David

If it really bothers you then I suggest you have the pipes ceramic coated. They will blue faster than you can polish it off. Blued pipes have been a part of BMW ownership since I owned my first R80.

Pretty much all exhaust pipes turn blue. Those that "don't" have chrome covers.

That’s been my experience.
I did run over a large plastic bag with my Honda CB450, never really got the melted plastic off the headers. :banghead
OM

Chrome pipes look nice but I don't pose with my bike, I ride it. I hose it off every now and then and apply wax a couple of times a year, but otherwise, I ride my motorcycles and don't waste time obsessively looking at it.

You do more than me! Wax?!

When I traded in a Harley I had put on 80,000 miles, the salesman ran his hand over the front fender and commented that there were stone dents in it. I said of course there is, I bought it to ride it, not to look at.

I have maybe 7,000 miles on my RT and the head pipes look like crap. Maybe I will get busy and try clean them up over winter, but probably not. They will just get full of burned on bugs and crap next year.

You do more than me! Wax?!

Yeah, that's right. I'm a...a...WAXER and DAMNED PROUD OF IT!!!! :ha

OK. So I wash it maybe three times a year and wax it once, maybe twice a year. I can't stand the idea of a show bike which is 90% of why I dislike Harley's and other cruisers. I'll clean mine every now and then to keep it from getting too out of hand but I could care less what the headers look like.

For reference: I bought it April '18 with only 6,200 miles on it. 1st owner, three years and 1,700 miles. 2nd owner, 2 years and 4,500 miles. Me? 19 months and 13,000 miles (and i was off for 4 months due to shoulder surgery). Now that I have heated gear I expect to ride even more and I think it's happier to be spending less time sitting in the garage.

I have this nasty job where they expect to work 5 days a week, plus three motorcycles to ride. This last year was my worst for miles, only about 9,000. I have done over 20,000 in one season. Not bad considering our weather.

As for washing the bike, i was 'em fairly often, but I am not very particular about it. Wash off the big chunks, about a 15 minute job start to finish, including putting away the jug of suds and winding up the hose. I might do a quick wax once a year, maybe.

Accentuate the positive ...

those pipes aren't running down your leg from a cylinder head in your crotch

My chrome pipes are rusting nicely inside and I've debated on whether to touch the rust with a little hydra acid, (hydrochloric) to take the little rust off of just let it go since the rust is going so slow I'm thinking let it go. I've done this before on my other bikes and friends, the bikes weren't beemers, rice burners and American many years ago. I didn't know any company put stainless pipes on. My headers look dark brown, I'm the second owner of a 09 1200rt and I couldn't care less what they look like as long as the bike runs great and it does, I ride every chance I get, no long rides yet and I really doubt I will be able to do one as I have a really messed up back, three bad car accidents, was on disability for a long time, now retired and riding doesn't bother my back much, just have to be careful. I don't think about my back when riding, just ride and enjoy the freedom and cooler weather we have now in south TX.

Had my exhaust system ceramic coated

I’ve been very happy with the ceramic coating done by JetHot. They have a large pallet of colors but I went with their original Classic Polish. Very tough and no more discolored pipes. Reasonably priced too.

Attachments

• E09EA982-D69F-40E9-8C50-AF7414D8A5CB.jpeg
    E09EA982-D69F-40E9-8C50-AF7414D8A5CB.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 62
That’s been my experience.
I did run over a large plastic bag with my Honda CB450, never really got the melted plastic off the headers. :banghead
OM

I got a polyester diaper wipe stuck on my front exhaust pipe riding down I25 in NM. It melted on in a glob and I couldn't get it off with cleaner. I finally figured out how to clean it by running the bike until it heated up again (and melted again) then used some plain steel wool to rub it off while hot. That plus a whole lot of brillo after it cooled down and it came out better. Still had a stain though.

If there was anything else in the diaper wipe it was incinerated, thank God. Or maybe that's what made the stain. Ugh.

Back