Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trip to Hyder, AK

When Cathy and I were in Hyder mid-June last year a bear had just gotten into the chicken coop belonging to the woman who runs “The Bus” and had snagged a couple of her fowl. Her husband was busy stringing electric fence to deter further encroachments, and while we chatted at the door of the bus, paying our bill, a very loud and very close gunshot rang out. May have been the precursor to a new bear rug; never found out for sure...

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Annie and I saw over two dozen bears between Meziadin Junction and Stewart in May 2012 (I think). We were headed to HyderSeek. I imagine Paul and Voni can remember the bear that was pillaging the burned out house next door to the Grand View Inn. Paul, in particular is a big fan of bears as I recall.
    I was absolutely fascinated with that bear. He would come out from the trees and disappear down into the rubble of the burned house. He would emerge with some food from the pantry he had dug down to and would sit on the snow bank next to the Grand View Inn and eat it. I watched and photographed him from about 15 feet away on the first floor porch of the motel. Voni didn't approve and sent me up to the second floor balcony to watch the bear. Then when we were checking out Voni mentioned the bear to the man at the motel desk. He grumbled about the pesky bear (I think with more profane words than I am using) and complained that the bear would get up on the second floor balcony and pound on the windows, scaring the motel guests. So much for the safety of Voni's suggested perch.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Annie and I saw over two dozen bears between Meziadin Junction and Stewart in May 2012 (I think). We were headed to HyderSeek. I imagine Paul and Voni can remember the bear that was pillaging the burned out house next door to the Grand View Inn. Paul, in particular is a big fan of bears as I recall.
    Brown or Black?

We saw multiple Blacks but no Browns in both 17 & 19
    The only dumb question is the unasked question - Anonymous

Eat every Ham Sandwich like it is your last Ham Sandwich! - Anonymous

Black. Only saw brown bears up at fish creek when the salmon were running. Not sure what year that was.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Black. Only saw brown bears up at fish creek when the salmon were running. Not sure what year that was.
    Salmon run starts about mid=July according to the locals last year.
    The only dumb question is the unasked question - Anonymous

Eat every Ham Sandwich like it is your last Ham Sandwich! - Anonymous

Hyder Trip This Summer

Quote Originally Posted by mdcrab View Post
    Tom, I am riding to AK this summer as well. Still figuring out certain logistics, gear and route. So much to see.
    Well, everything is up in the "COVID-19" air! Crap, I'm not sure what's going to happen. Over the years I've cancelled this planned trip, 3 times. I hope this isn't going to be #4. My age clock keeps ticking.
    Tom Burull
    R1200RT
    Edmond, OK