Thread: Trip to Hyder, AK

Trip to Hyder, AK

I am planning a summer 2020 trip from Oklahoma to Hyder AK. I'm looking for any advice on gas stops, places to stay, and places to avoid. I'll be riding a 2017 R1200RT with a comfortable range of about 270 miles. At this time I am not planning to camp, although that could be an option. I can be reached on this form or at tom_n_di@msn.com.
    Tom Burull
    R1200RT
    Edmond, OK

Try to make the Ice Field Parkway to Jasper part of your trip. If you do it may very likely be your best memory of the ride.

The longest stretch without fuel you are likely to encounter is from Kitwanga, BC to Meziadin Junction; just under 100 miles.

Probably best to plan on the larger towns once you get past Jasper. Prince George is an easy day's ride from Jasper (235 miles) and has many options. There is a very nice campground on the west side of town on HWY 16 called the Blue Cedars. Hyder is 435 miles from Prince George. If you do not want to go that far in a day, then you need to stop for the night before you get to Kitwanga. I have not felt easy there and there is nothing between there and Stewart/Hyder. Hazelton might be your last good option before committing to Hyder for the day. Do not be lured by the big city lights and night life into staying in Stewart, BC (but do buy their gas). Cross into Hyder and stay at the Grand View Inn; always been treated well there. Get some fudge at Caroline's Boundary Gift Shop and eat at the Bus Stop.

Have fun.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

The Key-Oh Lodge in Burns Lake is a nice place to stay, and there is a really good East Indian restaurant about a block away. That’s 295 miles from Hyder and we found that an easy day’s travel from Hyder, even in a sidecar rig. The Gitwangik Totem Poles were an interesting stop and we were able to get gas and lunch at the PetroCan station at that junction.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

We have stayed at the Robbers Roost (motel) in New Hazleton a couple of times. It is about 280 miles from Prince George. That leaves a nice easy 170 miles or so to arrive in Hyder early enough to discover the lay of the land and enjoy the rest of the day.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Lightbulb

Seriously consider using the MOA Great Falls National, in June, as your "real" departure point.

Many advantages for AK travelers with this resource being so close to Canada.

"travel'n" john

Trip to Hyder AK

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Try to make the Ice Field Parkway to Jasper part of your trip. If you do it may very likely be your best memory of the ride.

The longest stretch without fuel you are likely to encounter is from Kitwanga, BC to Meziadin Junction; just under 100 miles.

Probably best to plan on the larger towns once you get past Jasper. Prince George is an easy day's ride from Jasper (235 miles) and has many options. There is a very nice campground on the west side of town on HWY 16 called the Blue Cedars. Hyder is 435 miles from Prince George. If you do not want to go that far in a day, then you need to stop for the night before you get to Kitwanga. I have not felt easy there and there is nothing between there and Stewart/Hyder. Hazelton might be your last good option before committing to Hyder for the day. Do not be lured by the big city lights and night life into staying in Stewart, BC (but do buy their gas). Cross into Hyder and stay at the Grand View Inn; always been treated well there. Get some fudge at Caroline's Boundary Gift Shop and eat at the Bus Stop.

Have fun.
    Thanks Kevin. You've been very helpful and I'll be sure to make it to the Ice Field Parkway. Thanks again, Tom
    Tom Burull
    R1200RT
    Edmond, OK

Trip to Hyder AK

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post

Have fun.
    Thanks Kevin. You've been very helpful and I'll be sure to make it to the Ice Field Parkway. Thanks again, Tom
    Tom Burull
    R1200RT
    Edmond, OK

Trip to Hyder AK

Thank you all (Kevin, DeVern, Paul, and John). I do plan to attend the National and then to Hyder on my way to WA to visit family and friends. You are all very helpful and look forward to see you on the road.

Keep the rubber side down,
    Tom
    Tom Burull
    R1200RT
    Edmond, OK

Some mileage numbers

Hope I did this correctly. I attached a chart I have used of mileages when riding to Hyder and points north. If you have a couple of extra days you might enjoy a ride north on the Cassiair Hwy to Watson Lake and come back south on the Alaska Hwy to close the loop. I've made several trips north and never get tired of seeing more of that country.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Trip to Hyder AK

Quote Originally Posted by longriderx View Post
    Hope I did this correctly. I attached a chart I have used of mileages when riding to Hyder and points north. If you have a couple of extra days you might enjoy a ride north on the Cassiair Hwy to Watson Lake and come back south on the Alaska Hwy to close the loop. I've made several trips north and never get tired of seeing more of that country.

Enjoy!
    Thanks, your numbers look interesting. I'll give it a close look.

Tom
    Tom Burull
    R1200RT
    Edmond, OK