• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trip to Hyder, AK

TEBMW

TEBMW
I am planning a summer 2020 trip from Oklahoma to Hyder AK. I'm looking for any advice on gas stops, places to stay, and places to avoid. I'll be riding a 2017 R1200RT with a comfortable range of about 270 miles. At this time I am not planning to camp, although that could be an option. I can be reached on this form or at tom_n_di@msn.com.

Try to make the Ice Field Parkway to Jasper part of your trip. If you do it may very likely be your best memory of the ride.

The longest stretch without fuel you are likely to encounter is from Kitwanga, BC to Meziadin Junction; just under 100 miles.

Probably best to plan on the larger towns once you get past Jasper. Prince George is an easy day's ride from Jasper (235 miles) and has many options. There is a very nice campground on the west side of town on HWY 16 called the Blue Cedars. Hyder is 435 miles from Prince George. If you do not want to go that far in a day, then you need to stop for the night before you get to Kitwanga. I have not felt easy there and there is nothing between there and Stewart/Hyder. Hazelton might be your last good option before committing to Hyder for the day. Do not be lured by the big city lights and night life into staying in Stewart, BC (but do buy their gas). Cross into Hyder and stay at the Grand View Inn; always been treated well there. Get some fudge at Caroline's Boundary Gift Shop and eat at the Bus Stop.

Have fun.

The Key-Oh Lodge in Burns Lake is a nice place to stay, and there is a really good East Indian restaurant about a block away. That’s 295 miles from Hyder and we found that an easy day’s travel from Hyder, even in a sidecar rig. The Gitwangik Totem Poles were an interesting stop and we were able to get gas and lunch at the PetroCan station at that junction.

Best,
DeVern

We have stayed at the Robbers Roost (motel) in New Hazleton a couple of times. It is about 280 miles from Prince George. That leaves a nice easy 170 miles or so to arrive in Hyder early enough to discover the lay of the land and enjoy the rest of the day.

Seriously consider using the MOA Great Falls National, in June, as your "real" departure point.

Many advantages for AK travelers with this resource being so close to Canada.

"travel'n" john

Trip to Hyder AK

Try to make the Ice Field Parkway to Jasper part of your trip. If you do it may very likely be your best memory of the ride.

The longest stretch without fuel you are likely to encounter is from Kitwanga, BC to Meziadin Junction; just under 100 miles.

Probably best to plan on the larger towns once you get past Jasper. Prince George is an easy day's ride from Jasper (235 miles) and has many options. There is a very nice campground on the west side of town on HWY 16 called the Blue Cedars. Hyder is 435 miles from Prince George. If you do not want to go that far in a day, then you need to stop for the night before you get to Kitwanga. I have not felt easy there and there is nothing between there and Stewart/Hyder. Hazelton might be your last good option before committing to Hyder for the day. Do not be lured by the big city lights and night life into staying in Stewart, BC (but do buy their gas). Cross into Hyder and stay at the Grand View Inn; always been treated well there. Get some fudge at Caroline's Boundary Gift Shop and eat at the Bus Stop.

Have fun.

Thanks Kevin. You've been very helpful and I'll be sure to make it to the Ice Field Parkway. Thanks again, Tom

Trip to Hyder AK

Have fun.

Thanks Kevin. You've been very helpful and I'll be sure to make it to the Ice Field Parkway. Thanks again, Tom

Trip to Hyder AK

Thank you all (Kevin, DeVern, Paul, and John). I do plan to attend the National and then to Hyder on my way to WA to visit family and friends. You are all very helpful and look forward to see you on the road.

Keep the rubber side down,
Tom

Some mileage numbers

Hope I did this correctly. I attached a chart I have used of mileages when riding to Hyder and points north. If you have a couple of extra days you might enjoy a ride north on the Cassiair Hwy to Watson Lake and come back south on the Alaska Hwy to close the loop. I've made several trips north and never get tired of seeing more of that country.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Alaska Mileages.pdf
    8.3 KB · Views: 39
Trip to Hyder AK

Hope I did this correctly. I attached a chart I have used of mileages when riding to Hyder and points north. If you have a couple of extra days you might enjoy a ride north on the Cassiair Hwy to Watson Lake and come back south on the Alaska Hwy to close the loop. I've made several trips north and never get tired of seeing more of that country.

Enjoy!

Thanks, your numbers look interesting. I'll give it a close look.

Tom

Tom, I am riding to AK this summer as well. Still figuring out certain logistics, gear and route. So much to see.

If you have a couple of extra days you might enjoy a ride north on the Cassiair Hwy to Watson Lake and come back south on the Alaska Hwy to close the loop. I've made several trips north and never get tired of seeing more of that country.

Enjoy!

+1

The Cassiar Hwy route to the Yukon is also my favourite! Remember while destinations are important; the journey will be the most memorable. :wave

Do plan to stop and take in the beauty of Bear Glacier on that last leg into Hyder.

And check out the bear viewing area a few kms past Hyder, though you may also see bears IN Hyder. And a walk along the canal. Don't feed the horses - they'll assume they are invited into your room.

And take time to just be . . .

And give Carolyn hugs from us.

Voni
sMiling

Not likely to seeBrown bears in Hyder until mid-July, at least that is what they told me last year, we were a week or two early.

Saw lots of Black Bears all over.

The King Edward Hotel in Stewart BC was great, the AC worked well and the blackout curtains were dark.

Bikes were right outside the lower floor rooms, ask for one.

Last edited:
Annie and I saw over two dozen bears between Meziadin Junction and Stewart in May 2012 (I think). We were headed to HyderSeek. I imagine Paul and Voni can remember the bear that was pillaging the burned out house next door to the Grand View Inn. Paul, in particular is a big fan of bears as I recall.

When Cathy and I were in Hyder mid-June last year a bear had just gotten into the chicken coop belonging to the woman who runs “The Bus” and had snagged a couple of her fowl. Her husband was busy stringing electric fence to deter further encroachments, and while we chatted at the door of the bus, paying our bill, a very loud and very close gunshot rang out. May have been the precursor to a new bear rug; never found out for sure...
:dunno
Best,
DeVern

Annie and I saw over two dozen bears between Meziadin Junction and Stewart in May 2012 (I think). We were headed to HyderSeek. I imagine Paul and Voni can remember the bear that was pillaging the burned out house next door to the Grand View Inn. Paul, in particular is a big fan of bears as I recall.

I was absolutely fascinated with that bear. He would come out from the trees and disappear down into the rubble of the burned house. He would emerge with some food from the pantry he had dug down to and would sit on the snow bank next to the Grand View Inn and eat it. I watched and photographed him from about 15 feet away on the first floor porch of the motel. Voni didn't approve and sent me up to the second floor balcony to watch the bear. Then when we were checking out Voni mentioned the bear to the man at the motel desk. He grumbled about the pesky bear (I think with more profane words than I am using) and complained that the bear would get up on the second floor balcony and pound on the windows, scaring the motel guests. So much for the safety of Voni's suggested perch. :)

Brown or Black?

We saw multiple Blacks but no Browns in both 17 & 19

Back