Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: New RT on the way ???

  1. #1
    Booger Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    defiance, mo
    Posts
    35

    New RT on the way ???

    I saw this on Sierra BMW website. They are taking orders on the 2020 R1300RT M. Anyone know anything about this bike ?

  2. #2
    Registered User lasnin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Susanville, California
    Posts
    88

    Typo?

    I saw that too.... wasn’t quite sure if it was a typo? I live about 80 miles away from them and may pop in to clarify.........

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wills Point, TX
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by 178592 View Post
    I saw this on Sierra BMW website. They are taking orders on the 2020 R1300RT M. Anyone know anything about this bike ?
    I'm not finding anything on a 20R1300RT but I did see this http://byo.bmwmotorcycles.com/20RT still a R1250RT

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,000
    Long Beach show yesterday 1250RT, assumed it was a 20, scource at my dealer says new bike in 21 will be totally restyled

  5. #5
    Booger Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    defiance, mo
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by lasnin View Post
    I saw that too.... wasn’t quite sure if it was a typo? I live about 80 miles away from them and may pop in to clarify.........
    If they made a typo they did it 3 times

  6. #6
    Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bedford, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,075
    Not the first time that mistake has been made. They (some publications) have been saying the next RT was going to be a 1300cc for 10 years now.
    Absolutely don't see it happening within the next 3-5 years. Can't recall now when the timing is for the round of EU emissions is after those coming into affect in 2020 or 2021 but its something like MY-2025.
    The R1250 engine was, as is typical brought in 1-year before the upcoming emissions regulations come into effect (gives the manufacturer more wiggle room and longer compliance window).
    BMW isn't likely to spend needless money on certification of another engine so soon, especially seeing as it isn't needed.
    The current R1250 engine can likely go to 145-150HP without needing much work or expense. After that the next logical step would be variable valve timing for both exhaust and intake. That might be good for another 2-5HP, without much expense.
    Certification for a new or increased displacement engine is expensive and typically avoided until it is necessary as the manufacturer doesn't want to invest too far in front of knowing what the next round of requirements are going to be.

    Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

  7. #7
    Registered User LFarling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    Not the first time that mistake has been made. They (some publications) have been saying the next RT was going to be a 1300cc for 10 years now.
    Absolutely don't see it happening within the next 3-5 years. Can't recall now when the timing is for the round of EU emissions is after those coming into affect in 2020 or 2021 but its something like MY-2025.
    The R1250 engine was, as is typical brought in 1-year before the upcoming emissions regulations come into effect (gives the manufacturer more wiggle room and longer compliance window).
    BMW isn't likely to spend needless money on certification of another engine so soon, especially seeing as it isn't needed.
    The current R1250 engine can likely go to 145-150HP without needing much work or expense. After that the next logical step would be variable valve timing for both exhaust and intake. That might be good for another 2-5HP, without much expense.
    Certification for a new or increased displacement engine is expensive and typically avoided until it is necessary as the manufacturer doesn't want to invest too far in front of knowing what the next round of requirements are going to be.

    Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Good explanation for sure!
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

  8. #8
    Registered User CABNFVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Laurel Park, NC
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by 178592 View Post
    I saw this on Sierra BMW website. They are taking orders on the 2020 R1300RT M. Anyone know anything about this bike ?
    This doesn't cover the RT but it is from the internet so it has to be true.

    "Three trademarks filed by BMW with the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) in 2019 suggest that the M division will crossover to the motorcycle side. In fact, the company has secured the names M 1000 RR, M 1300 GS, and M 1000 XR."
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by CABNFVR View Post
    This doesn't cover the RT but it is from the internet so it has to be true.

    "Three trademarks filed by BMW with the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) in 2019 suggest that the M division will crossover to the motorcycle side. In fact, the company has secured the names M 1000 RR, M 1300 GS, and M 1000 XR."
    Those must be the new V8 engines.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  10. #10
    Registered User pappy35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Those must be the new V8 engines.
    Turbo straight-six! Bike would be 12 feet long but man it would FLY!
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

  11. #11
    Booger Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    defiance, mo
    Posts
    35
    Talked local dealer owner today & I asked him about the R1300RT M. He said no real concrete answer yet but BMW is coming out with M series bikes in the near future.

  12. #12
    Knight-Errant 1957mpd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Las Cruces,NM
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by CABNFVR View Post
    "Three trademarks filed by BMW with the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) in 2019 suggest that the M division will crossover to the motorcycle side. In fact, the company has secured the names M 1000 RR, M 1300 GS, and M 1000 XR."
    Just exactly what the contracting motorcycle market is demanding - an über-priced M model BMW. Then again, they're not idiots. If their market research has not convinced them buyers are out there, they would not be considering it.
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

    Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '17 R1200 GSA

  13. #13
    Registered User TGA57589's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Washington, Utah...one hour from Zion, 2 hrs to the North Rim
    Posts
    131

    just my 2 cents on the R1250RT

    I just bought a R1250RT in September and having this been my 4th BMW I must say they got the engine right with the needs I thought the boxer had. I only have 800 miles on it so far but I'm impressed with the power it has two up on twisting roads here in the desert. I ride to the north rim of the Grand Canyon for a day of life decompression and it really pulls when you get bogged down on a steep incline around a bend it, pulls unlike any BMW I've owned so far. I loved my '07 and hated to see it go but they got it right on the variable valves. I bought an option 719 and have so many whistles and bells which I've never had but like most of them. I had to shut off the hill start assist because it just feels to odd to me that riding for so long it's just the nature of things to have to pull out on an incline working the throttle and lever is just what it is and I can't hand it over to the computer.

  14. #14
    Registered User easy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    1,147
    It's not uncommon for a site to intentionally post fictitious info to draw interest to the site.

    What are the odds of BMW holding a secret engine in reserve to spring a new model one year into production of a new model?

    E.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •