• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bike Cover for Winter

Random

This last Memorial Day a tornado took my garage. Well, it left the garage with a rather large pine tree imbedded diagonally across the garage. The result was a totaled car and lawn tractor and a bunch of other stuff. Fortunately the bikes were spared (Honda, BMW, and Schwinn) My wife sold her Honda and the Schwinn fits in the basement or porch. However, my '96 R1100GS is left outside.

Please, if you have any suggestions for an all weather motorcycle cover, I'm all ears. Again, it's a '96 R1100GS with an Aeroflow screen. No side bags or topbox.

I don't know if or when the garage will be rebuilt.

There are some theads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen.

I don't see where you live. Around here, upstate NY, if I were in your situation I'd get one of those pop-up kinda shelters; a foot of snow, cover or no, can't be good!

I think the Dowco covers were one of the top choices. If you cover outside, I find it’s good to monitor for mice/rodents, even cats that like to sleep on the seats :eek
OM

Shelter

I have seen stuff like this cheap. My sister had a 10 x 6 that cost $60+- that lasted for years

3EEFB6AC-156B-40C7-9306-8DD9B0352040.png

No love for amazon but screen shot shows several examples

This last Memorial Day a tornado took my garage. .

Sorry to hear that.
A tornado destroyed my sister's garage in Marshalltown Iowa last year.
Insurance paid for a nicer garage than she had before.

If you use one of the temporary shelters try to place it where the wind won't catch it.

Buy a prebuilt garden shed big enough it fit the motorcycle. I sure wouldn't leave it outside, even with a quality cover. Anyone you know have a little room in a shop or machine shed that could store it for the winter?

Thank you

Thank you for your responses. I had been thinking about a garden shed for the lawn tractor and the rest of the crap that had been in the garage...just didn't connect when I thought about the bike.

I'll figure out what to do and post a picture, eventually.

Tim
(Dayton, OH)

+1 on Dowco covers if you can find them.
I bought a used CycleShell about 5 years ago and could not be happier with it!
It’s made in America, and I’m about to order a new cover to replace the old one when it fails.
It might not work for you, but check out their website.
Bill
http://www.cycleshell.com

Edit: The CycleShell was purchased from a friend that put a sidecar on his GS and could no longer use it. He had bought it used so it is probably 8-10 years old.
The cover fabric is getting thin, Nikwax tent and gear solar/waterproofing spray has helped extend it's life for the last 2 years and it might last another
year or two before I have to fit the new cover.

Last edited:
Cycleshell looks nice.

I don't have time to lay a concrete pad for a shed before the weather turns bad. This spring I'll revisit it. Maybe I can get a garage built in the spring.

Cycleshell looks nice.

I don't have time to lay a concrete pad for a shed before the weather turns bad. This spring I'll revisit it. Maybe I can get a garage built in the spring.

Most garden sheds have a built in wood floor. You just need to find a level spot in the yard to set it, and a few minutes to level it. One afternoon and you have a shed. In most areas you can find a company that sells them and will drop it off and level it. If you want to go crazy haul in a load of gravel and level it, then set the shed on it.

Back