• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

K1100LT Ignition oil seal

walt3022

I have oil exiting the plate that covers the ignition of my K1100LT. I take that to indicate the oil seal #11147654531 has failed. What sort of challenges can I expect when I get in there to replace the seal? Who has done this? What tools are needed?

Hello,

I believe the seal is removed and installed from the inside of the timing chain cover. Below is from the workshop manual. It's been a while since I've done this repair and it sounds like a lot of work and a bit messy, but it's not too bad.

That means that you need to:
• Remove ignition cover
• Take off gasket
• Remove Hall-effect signal transmitter, noting
the semi-circular shim washers.
Note:Mark the correct installed position of the adjusting
washer on the engine block, or remove it in the TDC
position.
• Remove gate rotor and take off adjusting
washer.

Remove the crankshaft cover
You'll need to drain the coolant.
• Detach the coolant hose at the water pump and
radiator.

• Remove screws and the cover.

Removing cylinder head cover
• Remove the ignition leads.
• Remove screws and the cylinder head cover.

Removing and installing sealing ring in timing
case cover

Remove screws and timing chain cover. I believe the cover is sealed using RTV silicon and may be a bit hard to remove.
• Drive the sealing ring out with a suitable drift.
• Drive the sealing ring in from the inside using
handle, BMWNo. 00 0 500, and drift,

Regards,

Richard

Commerce Township, MI

ignition oil seal

Hello,

I believe the seal is removed and installed from the inside of the timing chain cover. Below is from the workshop manual. It's been a while since I've done this repair and it sounds like a lot of work and a bit messy, but it's not too bad.

That means that you need to:
• Remove ignition cover
• Take off gasket
• Remove Hall-effect signal transmitter, noting
the semi-circular shim washers.
Note:Mark the correct installed position of the adjusting
washer on the engine block, or remove it in the TDC
position.
• Remove gate rotor and take off adjusting
washer.

Remove the crankshaft cover
You'll need to drain the coolant.
• Detach the coolant hose at the water pump and
radiator.

• Remove screws and the cover.

Removing cylinder head cover
• Remove the ignition leads.
• Remove screws and the cylinder head cover.

Removing and installing sealing ring in timing
case cover

Remove screws and timing chain cover. I believe the cover is sealed using RTV silicon and may be a bit hard to remove.
• Drive the sealing ring out with a suitable drift.
• Drive the sealing ring in from the inside using
handle, BMWNo. 00 0 500, and drift,

Regards,

Richard

Commerce Township, MI
Thank you for your reply, Richard. I must have used the incorrect nomenclature for that seal. I cannot imagine that the steps in the description are necessary. Removal of the valve and crank covers?! Why? I've done further research since I posted the original question. I now believe the oil seal can be replaced without even the removal of the timing chain cover. The only issue I foresee is whether the seal is the newer, Teflon type or the old, conventional design with the spring. I understand the former can be a bit tricky to install as the lip can easily end facing the wrong direction and subsequently leak.

Hello,

As I said earlier, it's been a while since I've had to replace that seal, however, the BMW workshop manual states that the seal is driven in from the inside. If this is indeed the case, then both the crank and valve covers are removed because they seal against the ends of the timing chain cover. Obviously, if the seal is replaceable from the outside, then none of the covers need removal.

Regards,

Hello,

I found a picture of a used timing chain cover on ebay and it does indeed look like the seal can be replaced from the front.

Regards,

Hello,

I found a picture of a used timing chain cover on ebay and it does indeed look like the seal can be replaced from the front.

Regards,

That's the way I proceeded and so far all is good. No sign of an oil leak at this point. I hope I can say that after 20-30 k miles. :)

Back