• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Searching

usablue

Hate to be a moaning minnie particularly since I am not technology gifted. I have real heart burn with the search engine for the site. being new to both the forum and to these wonderful BMW bikes I have zillions of questions. Many of which I am sure have been asked zillions of times. I therefore try to do some legwork rather than load up the forum with more of the same old questions. I AM TRYING, however searching is practically pointless. My results are never what I want and I always find posts that contain ANY of the words in my search. I can not find an option to even set up the words, ie all, exact order, any and so on. What am I missing? Please help as it is making me miss valuable hours of reading and learning I just don" visit as much as I want to due to this. Recent example I wanted to search for specifics on a 600 mile service. What I got was any thread or post with any of the words. Now while the story of a guy riding cross country did prove to be entertaining it was a hit simply because he had a service done prior to the trip I even tried the " " or boolean for exact phrase. Nothing changed. Am I missing something or does this 60+ year old need to find his library card like to "good old" days.

I feel your pain!! I gave up on the forum search tools...to be honest, I don't think it allows the use of Boolean features. About the only thing that might help with this is if you knew a specific word (and a relatively unique word) used by a specific member in a past thread/post, it might get you pretty close. But you have to have hung around here long enough to have those floating around your head. Not sure if you've read this thread about various search features...it might help a bit:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?77843-Tips-on-Searching-the-MOA-Forum

I tried the "View Tag Cloud" link at the bottom of the page...I tried a search on 600 but only got one other thread. Note that the tag cloud is only helpful when tags were added to a past thread. An issue with using tags is that people think of a specific discussion from different perspectives, so a tag that you can think of might be different than someone else.

What I have settled on is using the google "site" search. It does let you use all of the useful search features which restrict or include specific phrases.

So, I used google and typed in "site:forums.bmwmoa.org 600" and got a lot of threads where 600 is mentioned. Could be that could be focused a bit more if the bike in question was included, say R1200RT, etc.

That's my suggestion...let us know if that gets you any closer.

What may help is a bit more information.
Try posting a thread that will allow the “forum regulars” to give you some help. A thread with the title “R1250 first service”, in the Wethead forum, will most likely gain useful responses and allow others to post up a link to a thread that may help.
In the “Tag Cloud” search there is a “Tag” for “first service”. You can also just look through the forum section that your bike is referenced in, maybe you will see other threads of interest.
Let us know what you need assistance in finding. Chances are It’s here.
OM

Sure you might be repeating but don't be afraid to just put up a post with your question/s. People around here are friendly and helpful and if they know an answer they'll give it of if they know where to send you they will. No-one expects you to know if a question has already been asked so give 'er!

I haven't tried the search function on this forum but I have on others and I rarely have any success with them.

Or, just ask your questions. Answering them or complaining about them will give the curmudgeons that populate this place something to do, and you will probably get some good answers to boot.

I don't consider myself particularly adept at IT, but I find V Bulletin quite user friendly. Much more so than XenForo in ADVrider.

But "service" is a tough search term, so, as mentioned above, you would have to try and find it through model specific channels.

And I wouldn't worry about anyone taking potshots at you over an innocent question; as a new Forum member, you have diplomatic immunity. :)

And welcome.

I don't consider myself particularly adept at IT, but I find V Bulletin quite user friendly. Much more so than XenForo in ADVrider.

But "service" is a tough search term, so, as mentioned above, you would have to try and find it through model specific channels.

And I wouldn't worry about anyone taking potshots at you over an innocent question; as a new Forum member, you have diplomatic immunity. :)

And welcome.

Not worried about potshots most folks here seem really nice but I am sure some of the questions get old. Have I mentioned how much I love this RT. This is going to be the LOOONGEST winter. After the last few years dealing with pain on pain riding me Harley any distance or any stretch of twisties that required lots of shifting I feel like a kid again and just want to goooooo.

Usablue, I suggest you add a general location, model of bike and name to your signature or profile. Helps in answering questions.

Not worried about potshots most folks here seem really nice....

Yes this board is pretty friendly. Tell us what you're riding and let us drill down on the 600 mile service. If you've got a new shaftie, that's probably what the service is about.

Back