• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navigator VI on sale

cadmanpilot

Just in case anyone is about to purchase a Navigator VI

Paul

Attachments

• 4EF17CB5-7D89-4359-89DC-90070142714A.png
    4EF17CB5-7D89-4359-89DC-90070142714A.png
    329.9 KB · Views: 425
Why would someone by a bmw gps nav system when they can get one from any number of other vendors (eg Garmin, Tom Tom, etc) or use their smartphone?

Don’t take this question as critical of the bmw system. I am genuinely curious if there’s an advantage to using the bmw navigator?

Why would someone by a bmw gps nav system when they can get one from any number of other vendors (eg Garmin, Tom Tom, etc) or use their smartphone?

Don’t take this question as critical of the bmw system. I am genuinely curious if there’s an advantage to using the bmw navigator?

It integrates with the bike and displays a lot of bike info at a quick glance instead of flipping through multiple menu displays on the bike dash.

And the Nav V is in rehab right now ;)

I have a 2018 R1200RT with Nav VI. I still use my $150 Garmin. I actually use both. I don't really care for the Nav VI, to clunky to enter information, screen is too small and to far away from the rider. I will plug in the end of day destination into the Nav VI and use my el-cheapo Garmin for the next stop or to "look around". This way at a glance I always know how many miles I have left to get to my destination without having to re-enter it.

Yeah, sure the Nav VI has a boat load of other information available that I have seemed to live without.

If I was looking for a GPS I sure wouldn't spend the $1K for the Nav VI when an off the shelf Garmin works well for 1/5th the price, or less.

I really like my Nav VI as not only does it integrate with both my bikes wonder wheel it has the best display I have ever seen especially in bright sunlight. Very happy with my upgrade from the V to the VI.

I can spend $1,000 to rotate the wheel or I can spend $125.00 to finger an icon, I made my choice. Now I have an extra $875.00 in my farkle account.

I can spend $1,000 to rotate the wheel or I can spend $125.00 to finger an icon, I made my choice. Now I have an extra $875.00 in my farkle account.

Yes you can! That is what is great about this country. You could also spend $5000 on a new Royal Enfield adventure bike or $20,000 on a new BMW GS and have $15,000 to in your farkle account. :dance

Yes you can! That is what is great about this country. You could also spend $5000 on a new Royal Enfield adventure bike or $20,000 on a new BMW GS and have $15,000 to in your farkle account. :dance

$5,000??? So they have gone up in price?

In late September, I went on a trip to Colorado riding the 18 RT with a Nav VI and the performance of the unit was outstanding.

E.

Same here with my $150 Garmin!

There really is no right or wrong answer here and don't believe this was about which product is better. The question being responded to are the benefits of buying the Nav 6 and there are benefits if you own a BMW with the GPS prep package. Some may prefer to not take advantage of those benefits and others may believe it is too expensive. All personal choices much like all things motorcycling. It is all about what make YOU happy! :thumb

You are right, that if you don't care about the systems integration benefits, then there are lower cost options, for example using your smart phone.

But first, if you sell your Nav V, and buy a Nav VI, as I did, then the difference was about $400. And for that I get the systems integration benefits which include a place to quickly dock the GPS without fussing with cables. In addition, the Nav VI has great bluetooth connectivity, including route-sharing with other riders. I have actually shared map routes while moving alongside another rider, and talking with them using a helmet-to-helmet comm. And speaking of bluetooth and integration, another thing I like about my Nav VI is that it can use the bike's onboard primary bluetooth channel to communicate with my helmet system, which saves me one channel on my headset. Some of you may have played with your helmet comm system, and discovered as I have that more than two connections will produce error-prone performance.

So, for example, if I reserve one channel on my Sena for communications with other riders, and the second for comms with my RT, then everything works seamlessly. But if I were to use 1 channel for bike, 1 channel for rider intercom, and attempt to use another channel for a link to a phone or a separate GPS, then everything becomes flaky. I imagine that this problem will get fixed before many years, but for now, the Nav VI provides a workaround: connect 3rd device (like a phone) to Nav VI, and allow it to pass audio to the helmet via the integrated interface.

As for the grip-mounted wheel, I agree. I don't use it to control the gps. Rather, I customize the user interface on the Nav VI to put big icons on the screen for my preferred actions.

In summary the Nav VI is a nice piece of gear with some unique benefits not available to separate gps units.

Cap

You are right, that if you don't care about the systems integration benefits, then there are lower cost options, for example using your smart phone.

But first, if you sell your Nav V, and buy a Nav VI, as I did, then the difference was about $400. And for that I get the systems integration benefits which include a place to quickly dock the GPS without fussing with cables..............................

In summary the Nav VI is a nice piece of gear with some unique benefits not available to separate gps units.

Cap

I did the very same and for me with the great deal I got not he Nav6 the upgrade cost me about $250!

Just in case anyone is about to purchase a Navigator VI

Paul

Where is it selling? For those who wish to criticize how someone else chooses to spend their money, pffft. I mean why buy a Rolex when a Timex does the same thing. I will invest in one. Eventually and I am not even considering alternatives after some review. Only alternative I will consider is if a Nav7 comes out before I buy.

Where is it selling? ............

Sierra BMW is having a 20% off sale so that equates to about $760 for the Nav6 with free shipping and no tax. That is about the best I've seen them and also about what I paid a year ago. I sold my Nav5 for $500.

Nobody has criticized how anyone spends their money, the question was if what the advantage the Nav VI is over an over the counter GPS. Sure, tons of integration, if you find value in it. I don't. Like I said earlier, I have a Nav VI, I don't see where the extra expense is worth it. If someone does, then buy it.

Back