• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 R1100RT vs. R1150RT standard seat.

oldcarman

From reading various reviews it is my understanding that the stock R1150RT seat will fit the R1100RT and that the 1150 seat was redesigned to make it more comfortable, especially reducing the forcing of the rider to slide forward. I'm on the short side, 5'6", so I have my stock seat adjusted in the lowest position, which gets my feet close to flat footed. I have found on-line a R1150RT seat that I could purchase for a reasonable price. Thanks, oldcarman

I don't know about the 1100 seat, but there is a fix for the 1150 where you put in washers to raise the front of the seat to stop the sliding.
So I wonder if it's the geometry of the frame and not so much the seat itself.
I did raise the front on my 1150 and don't slide forward so much.

I don't know about the 1100 seat, but there is a fix for the 1150 where you put in washers to raise the front of the seat to stop the sliding.
So I wonder if it's the geometry of the frame and not so much the seat itself.
I did raise the front on my 1150 and don't slide forward so much.

:thumb Years ago, I did this on my R1100RT. It eliminated the sliding forward while riding.

However having a 28" inseam and a Russell seat, I do make a point of sliding forward when coming in for a landing in order for my feet to make contact with the ground. :dance

Yes, I also have read about raising the front and dropping the rear of the R1100RT seat and I have done that. It did help, as you said, but for me it isn't enough to make me comfortable. From what you said, it looks like the R1150RT seat has the same problems as the R1100RT. I was hoping I wouldn't need to purchase a new seat, as others recommend. I have been looking at the Sargent seats and their information specifically says their seat cures this problem. This verbiage is right from their web site for the R1100RT/R1150RT..." Improved seat angle which eliminates forward slope and provides a more neutral seating angle for driver and passenger, Widened and slightly concave shape to increase contact area and better distribution of pressure over a greater area". Their price is $399 plus $20 for shipping with a 30 day money back guarantee.

Oldcarman - the seats on the 1100 and 1150 RT are interchangeable. I believe that the 1100 came with a standard seat and offered a "comfort seat" which was cushioned a bit wider and deeper, but the seat pans were the same. Again, I believe that the 1150 used the comfort seat as the standard offering. Sargent makes a great seat. I have a Russell on my RT but wouldn't hesitate to use a Sargent instead.

Last edited:
Another Thumb up for Sargent

I have both a "custom" Rick Mayers and a Sargent for my 1100 RT. Both are an improvement over the stock seat, but for my butt, the Sargent has a superior seating position and shape.

If you decide to spring for a new one, the Sargent should be a safe bet.

I just got my seat recover. You asked about the same slope. Corbin don't slip forward nor do Sargent. They are not cheap. A friend of mine bought a older Trophy 1200 and he didn't like the stock seat. He sent it off to Sargent and they recover it to the specs he requested. They charge him half what a new Sargent seat cost he is happy with it. This is how I knew to contact Sargent to get my seat done. You may want to find a local reupolister shop. I did research on recovering the seat myself. Then I remembered a line from an old Dirty Harry movie "...a man got to know his limitations...".

Seat angle

I have a 2004 RT and have used the Big Mak seat lifters with success. I then found a used Sargent seat that cured the seat angle issue and vastly improved the overall comfort. Watch for a used Sargent or Corbin, you won't regret it.

Back