• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT 2016 - Light for left side switch block

stinkypete

When travelling at night I've found that it's really difficult to identify the various switches and buttons on my left side switch block, particularly when wearing thick winter gloves. For some time I had been considering how to get some light onto the buttons, and came up with a cheap and simple solution.

I have made a bracket on which I mount one of the little chemical glow sticks used by fishermen. This gives a soft green light which allows to to see the buttons without being too bright and distracting. The glow lasts for many hours.

The stainless steel bracket is mounted onto the back of a mount that I use for my CB radio, and the photos are probably self explainatory.

Switchblock Light 1.jpg

Switchblock Light 2.jpg

Switchblock Light 3.jpg

I'm not sure I understand what "Redneck Engineering" is, as it's not an Aussie term. However, here's a photo of the mounting plate. My CB is fixed to the front using mushroom type velcro (Sure Lock), and the switch block light fixes to the back of the plate using the same material. That way, both can be removed when not in use. The CB also has a tether. Thanks for the other link Lee. Switchblock Light 4.jpg

I'm not sure I understand what "Redneck Engineering" is, as it's not an Aussie term...

Google "redneck repairs" and check out some of the web sites that come up. A lot of zip ties, duct tape and the like are used. You'll get the idea pretty quickly and then can decide if it was an insult or a complement. ;)

The stainless steel bracket is mounted onto the back of a mount that I use for my CB radio, and the photos are probably self explainatory.

Nice work ! That design, build quality and function is solid.
As far as lighting those buttons, early on I committed them all to memory, so I wouldn't have to take my eyes off the road to look down there for any reason, day or night.

Back