• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Rider, new to BMW and new Bike

dimsum07

Hello!

I'm Steve and am a new rider. Lots of atv miles (doesn't matter) and took the MSF basic course back in April 2019. Bought a Can Am Spyder (used) after the course b/c of how similar it can drive to an ATV on the road. I figured it would scratch the fun itch while also allowing me to ease myself into riding around in the open in the DC area (yeah....).

I think I knew within a week of buying the machine that it wasn't for me. Just as much risk (consequence) as a two wheeled motorcycle with none of the cool skills training and challenges that comes with trying to become a better rider.

My issues were I wanted a bike with all of the latest safety gear. I'm 34 and have a 2 year old girl at home. I'm looking to be around for a while and I know some of that comes from a good bike with good safety features along with a ton of training and discipline (mixed in with some luck).

I bought a 2019 F-850GS Adventure Rallye (low chassis) in the middle of October. Some great rebates and deals on that bike and gets you 90% of the way there to a 1250 GSA at far less cost. Yes...I know I should start on a cheap used bike....but I wanted the cornering ABS / stability control on my bike.

Took a refresher course on it and am slowly (400 miles so far) working on skills training to be safer on the road. Concentrating on slow speed maneuvers and emergency braking while mixing in highway runs / stop and go traffic. Currently scheduled to take the intermediate course next year (March 2020).

I'll attach photos tonight because I know its not real unless I can prove I own the bike! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post and help folks. I've been doing a lot of reading.

Attachments

• 2019-11-17.jpg
    2019-11-17.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 105
Wow, learning to ride a motorcycle at 34. That’s a real adventure! Welcome and good luck with it, Steve. It looks like you’re off to a good start. :thumb

Welcome to the MOA Steve.
Good to hear you took the MSF coarse this year and have been practicing.
My wife got her first bike when she was 32, a new K75T.

I'd rather have the RE parked beside the BMW.

Ha, I understand!

I know 34 is old...I feel like all of the data says I should stay in my F-250 and drop this hobby. That being said, my commute and traffic is actually much more "interesting" on the bike. I feel like I'm spending soo much more time worrying about what's going on around me and concentrating on operating the bike that the time I spend in my commute just flies by.

I enjoy being outside. Nobody really supported the idea of me riding a bike. Wife tolerates it, but doesn't understand it. I'm not sure how the rest of you do this in spite of all of the 'advice' that tells you not to.

I'm enjoying the community too. I've not had a hobby comes with the comradery that other folks on bikes show me.

Ha, I understand!

I know 34 is old..

Ha! Around here, 34 is young. Some on this forum never rode until their 50s. Others rode as kids and then stopped riding for longer than you have been alive before they started riding again. Some of us are old enough to be your grandfather and are still learning new things about riding. Welcome.

Ha! Around here, 34 is young. Some on this forum never rode until their 50s. Others rode as kids and then stopped riding for longer than you have been alive before they started riding again. Some of us are old enough to be your grandfather and are still learning new things about riding. Welcome.

That about sizes it up Steve :nod
Welcome to the forum.
Gary

Welcome!

You’re getting started young, from my perspective!

Can I ask which dealer in the DC area you purchased from and how was your experience?

Also, did you take the MSF course for the “M3” endorsement, or just the “M2”? Or maybe both?

Welcome!

You’re getting started young, from my perspective!

Can I ask which dealer in the DC area you purchased from and how was your experience?

Also, did you take the MSF course for the “M3” endorsement, or just the “M2”? Or maybe both?

Out of curiosity, what are M3 and M2 endorsements, and in what jurisdiction(s)?

Welcome! If you're looking for riding partners check out Bob's BMW events. They have an annual open house and host a few rides from time to time. :dance

Out of curiosity, what are M3 and M2 endorsements, and in what jurisdiction(s)?

In many states in the East, a tiered licensing system is used now. M2 allows the license holder to operate only a 2-wheeled motorcycle (in most places this is anything over 49cc, so includes many scooters.) M3 allows operation only of 3-wheeled vehicles such as a trike, Spyder, or motorcycle with sidecar. Each endorsement requires a separate training course and/or test. If you pass for both endorsements, you get an “M” on your license instead.

Riders who received an “M” endorsement prior to the tiered approach are grandfathered.

In many states in the East, a tiered licensing system is used now. M2 allows the license holder to operate only a 2-wheeled motorcycle (in most places this is anything over 49cc, so includes many scooters.) M3 allows operation only of 3-wheeled vehicles such as a trike, Spyder, or motorcycle with sidecar. Each endorsement requires a separate training course and/or test. If you pass for both endorsements, you get an “M” on your license instead.

Riders who received an “M” endorsement prior to the tiered approach are grandfathered.

To keep trike riders off of bikes? Or to keep bike riders off of trikes and sidecars? It seems Virginia uses M2, M3 and M. Connecticut use M for motorcycles and three wheelers and M3 restricted to three wheelers.

To keep trike riders off of bikes? Or to keep bike riders off of trikes and sidecars? It seems Virginia uses M2, M3 and M. Connecticut use M for motorcycles and three wheelers and M3 restricted to three wheelers.

I don’t think there’s necessarily an intent to keep anyone off of anything. I think the intent is to ensure riders have some minimum amount of training appropriate to the vehicle. The baseline drivers license test is for a 4-wheel vehicle, and then additional testing/licensing is administered for 3-wheel and 2-wheel vehicles since they behave very differently.

I’m not sure what they’ll do if someone develops a unicycle motorcycle...:scratch

Just chiming in to say welcome to the MOA Forum, and wear your ATGATT when commuting in the DMV! Having recently left MD for AL, I'd say you will be challenged by the many distracted drivers. Your picture could be from Motorcycles of Dulles; at least you may be on the west side of town, closer to some more "interesting" roads. DC is not very m/c friendly, but all the dealers are... Be sure to also follow the happenings/events mentioned on BMWBMW.org

Ciao! HSV-Phil (from Tel-Aviv-Yafo airport)

Keep the shiny side Up! :wave

Just chiming in to say welcome to the MOA Forum, and wear your ATGATT when commuting in the DMV! Having recently left MD for AL, I'd say you will be challenged by the many distracted drivers. Your picture could be from Motorcycles of Dulles; at least you may be on the west side of town, closer to some more "interesting" roads. DC is not very m/c friendly, but all the dealers are... Be sure to also follow the happenings/events mentioned on BMWBMW.org

Ciao! HSV-Phil (from Tel-Aviv-Yafo airport)

Keep the shiny side Up! :wave

Thanks! I did buy from Motorcycles of Dulles. Super nice folks there, but I live in the Falls Church area. So far, I'm enjoying the 'challenge' of dodging DC drivers.

I appreciate the website. I didn't have any idea something like that existed.

I appreciate the website. I didn't have any idea something like that existed.

FWIW, young blood is especially welcomed into BMW2 (or any local MOA club for that matter)... Keep an eye on their Events page for Open Houses {spring/autumn/Xmas}! We actually bought four Beemers from Morton's in Fredericksburg. Sales & Service are TOP notch, but you might consider it a bit far from Ft Belvoir vs MoD. Nevertheless, 2-wheelers do have 24/7 access to the HOT lanes around town [that's with or without an EZ-Pass!]. That battle was fought and won with the VA government in Richmond with some Significant Input from Bob Higdon {formerly of BMW2 & Iron Butt Association}. To know Bob is to Love Bob... And Jerry Skene is a local DMV clubmate; he actually created some very useful Conspicuity Lights for DC area, wintertime commuters that are low wattage and easily installed and not-to-be-missed [by inattentive drivers]! I thought they were useful for us when we were lane-splitting in California in the evenings.

Another thing: you're not far from a 'local' m/c repair shop on Colvin Lane in Alexandria for 'unexpected' & less-complex maintenance issues. Khann does good work on many of the older models - he helped get my R90S running before moving it to Rocket City! Another 'Friend of the Marque' is Jim Bade. You won't want to miss his spring/autumn cookouts & Tech-Dayz right up your street, inside the Beltway in Alexandria! Look out for all of these local heroes then: :wave

https://www.mortonsbmw.com
https://www.eubmw.com
https://www.skenelights.com
https://jvbproductions.com

And should you become a Serious LDR Beemer Rider, we did the Silver Certificate National Parks Tour a few years back. Planning for Gold level certification in 2020! It really was a lot of fun, and much less stressful than a Bun Burner ride. Check these guys out as well just so you're "SaddleSore" aware... It can get into your blood. :thumb
http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/npt/

Sláinte, HSV-Phil :drink

Welcome, sounds like you're going about it the right way. Distracted drivers will be one of your biggest hazards, keep your eyes open and always keep looking all around you. Bob from Bob's BMW is a really nice guy, nice shop too. When you start venturing further afield add Newfoundland to your list as we have the nicest scenery on th continent.

Back