Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Rider, new to BMW and new Bike

New Rider, new to BMW and new Bike

Hello!

I'm Steve and am a new rider. Lots of atv miles (doesn't matter) and took the MSF basic course back in April 2019. Bought a Can Am Spyder (used) after the course b/c of how similar it can drive to an ATV on the road. I figured it would scratch the fun itch while also allowing me to ease myself into riding around in the open in the DC area (yeah....).

I think I knew within a week of buying the machine that it wasn't for me. Just as much risk (consequence) as a two wheeled motorcycle with none of the cool skills training and challenges that comes with trying to become a better rider.

My issues were I wanted a bike with all of the latest safety gear. I'm 34 and have a 2 year old girl at home. I'm looking to be around for a while and I know some of that comes from a good bike with good safety features along with a ton of training and discipline (mixed in with some luck).

I bought a 2019 F-850GS Adventure Rallye (low chassis) in the middle of October. Some great rebates and deals on that bike and gets you 90% of the way there to a 1250 GSA at far less cost. Yes...I know I should start on a cheap used bike....but I wanted the cornering ABS / stability control on my bike.

Took a refresher course on it and am slowly (400 miles so far) working on skills training to be safer on the road. Concentrating on slow speed maneuvers and emergency braking while mixing in highway runs / stop and go traffic. Currently scheduled to take the intermediate course next year (March 2020).

I'll attach photos tonight because I know its not real unless I can prove I own the bike! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post and help folks. I've been doing a lot of reading.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Steve
    2019 F850 GSA Rallye

Wow, learning to ride a motorcycle at 34. That’s a real adventure! Welcome and good luck with it, Steve. It looks like you’re off to a good start.
    Ted | 2013 F700GS | 2012 KLX250S

Welcome to the MOA Steve.
    Good to hear you took the MSF coarse this year and have been practicing.
    My wife got her first bike when she was 32, a new K75T.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I'd rather have the RE parked beside the BMW.
    Bruce A. Brown #212072
    MSF 2-wheel Instructor
    H-D Riding Academy Instructor
    S/TEP 3-wheel Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by crna59 View Post
    I'd rather have the RE parked beside the BMW.
    Ha, I understand!

I know 34 is old...I feel like all of the data says I should stay in my F-250 and drop this hobby. That being said, my commute and traffic is actually much more "interesting" on the bike. I feel like I'm spending soo much more time worrying about what's going on around me and concentrating on operating the bike that the time I spend in my commute just flies by.

I enjoy being outside. Nobody really supported the idea of me riding a bike. Wife tolerates it, but doesn't understand it. I'm not sure how the rest of you do this in spite of all of the 'advice' that tells you not to.

I'm enjoying the community too. I've not had a hobby comes with the comradery that other folks on bikes show me.
    -Steve
    2019 F850 GSA Rallye

Quote Originally Posted by dimsum07 View Post
    Ha, I understand!

I know 34 is old..
    Ha! Around here, 34 is young. Some on this forum never rode until their 50s. Others rode as kids and then stopped riding for longer than you have been alive before they started riding again. Some of us are old enough to be your grandfather and are still learning new things about riding. Welcome.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Ha! Around here, 34 is young. Some on this forum never rode until their 50s. Others rode as kids and then stopped riding for longer than you have been alive before they started riding again. Some of us are old enough to be your grandfather and are still learning new things about riding. Welcome.
    That about sizes it up Steve
    Welcome to the forum.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Welcome, yes some of us have a wife like yours! But what can I say after 44 years!

Welcome!

You’re getting started young, from my perspective!

Can I ask which dealer in the DC area you purchased from and how was your experience?

Also, did you take the MSF course for the “M3” endorsement, or just the “M2”? Or maybe both?

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Welcome!

You’re getting started young, from my perspective!

Can I ask which dealer in the DC area you purchased from and how was your experience?

Also, did you take the MSF course for the “M3” endorsement, or just the “M2”? Or maybe both?
    Out of curiosity, what are M3 and M2 endorsements, and in what jurisdiction(s)?
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Welcome! If you're looking for riding partners check out Bob's BMW events. They have an annual open house and host a few rides from time to time.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

Out of curiosity, what are M3 and M2 endorsements, and in what jurisdiction(s)?
    In many states in the East, a tiered licensing system is used now. M2 allows the license holder to operate only a 2-wheeled motorcycle (in most places this is anything over 49cc, so includes many scooters.) M3 allows operation only of 3-wheeled vehicles such as a trike, Spyder, or motorcycle with sidecar. Each endorsement requires a separate training course and/or test. If you pass for both endorsements, you get an “M” on your license instead.

Riders who received an “M” endorsement prior to the tiered approach are grandfathered.

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    In many states in the East, a tiered licensing system is used now. M2 allows the license holder to operate only a 2-wheeled motorcycle (in most places this is anything over 49cc, so includes many scooters.) M3 allows operation only of 3-wheeled vehicles such as a trike, Spyder, or motorcycle with sidecar. Each endorsement requires a separate training course and/or test. If you pass for both endorsements, you get an “M” on your license instead.

Riders who received an “M” endorsement prior to the tiered approach are grandfathered.
    To keep trike riders off of bikes? Or to keep bike riders off of trikes and sidecars? It seems Virginia uses M2, M3 and M. Connecticut use M for motorcycles and three wheelers and M3 restricted to three wheelers.

To keep trike riders off of bikes? Or to keep bike riders off of trikes and sidecars? It seems Virginia uses M2, M3 and M. Connecticut use M for motorcycles and three wheelers and M3 restricted to three wheelers.
    I don’t think there’s necessarily an intent to keep anyone off of anything. I think the intent is to ensure riders have some minimum amount of training appropriate to the vehicle. The baseline drivers license test is for a 4-wheel vehicle, and then additional testing/licensing is administered for 3-wheel and 2-wheel vehicles since they behave very differently.

I’m not sure what they’ll do if someone develops a unicycle motorcycle...

Just chiming in to say welcome to the MOA Forum, and wear your ATGATT when commuting in the DMV! Having recently left MD for AL, I'd say you will be challenged by the many distracted drivers. Your picture could be from Motorcycles of Dulles; at least you may be on the west side of town, closer to some more "interesting" roads. DC is not very m/c friendly, but all the dealers are... Be sure to also follow the happenings/events mentioned on BMWBMW.org

Ciao! HSV-Phil (from Tel-Aviv-Yafo airport)

Keep the shiny side Up!