• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need help with top case brake light

sort

I have a 2019 r1250rt with top case already wired with bmw brake light bar, I also have two skene p3 lights on each side of my license plate. What I’m trying to do is use a hex ezcan gen 2 with a skene iq-260 to both control my p3 lights and top case brake light. When I wire both together using two channels with two wires I get a yellow warning light on my dashboard showing my rear light is out. Has anyone successfully done what I’m trying to do, or do I need two iq-260 to control each set of lights? Any help would sure be appreciated.

Louie

I have a 2019 r1250rt with top case already wired with bmw brake light bar, I also have two skene p3 lights on each side of my license plate. What I’m trying to do is use a hex ezcan gen 2 with a skene iq-260 to both control my p3 lights and top case brake light. When I wire both together using two channels with two wires I get a yellow warning light on my dashboard showing my rear light is out. Has anyone successfully done what I’m trying to do, or do I need two iq-260 to control each set of lights? Any help would sure be appreciated.

Louie

I have a Skene P3 and also a Hex EZCan Gen 2. I use the brake signal circuit on the EZCan to trigger the Skene. And I used the EZCan accessory circuit to power the Skene. But you don't need to use the EZCan to power or trigger the Skene, if you are willing to tap into the wiring harness of the bike instead. If you are having conflicts, my suggestion would be to install the Skene independently of the EZCan. That will have an additional benefit of freeing up two circuits on your EZCan: the accessory circuit used to power the Skene, and the brake trigger circuit used to signal the Skene to operate the brake lights.

I have a Skene P3 and also a Hex EZCan Gen 2. I use the brake signal circuit on the EZCan to trigger the Skene. And I used the EZCan accessory circuit to power the Skene. But you don't need to use the EZCan to power or trigger the Skene, if you are willing to tap into the wiring harness of the bike instead. If you are having conflicts, my suggestion would be to install the Skene independently of the EZCan. That will have an additional benefit of freeing up two circuits on your EZCan: the accessory circuit used to power the Skene, and the brake trigger circuit used to signal the Skene to operate the brake lights.

I think this is probably what I will end up doing, thanks for the info!

I have a Denali CanSmart that is using all but one circuit and wanted to do something similar: add four Skene pods to the top case brake light bar. I searched for a way to make the CanSmart work, but since it is already fitted with connectors and I couldn't find the adapter I thought I saved, I gave up and wired all the Skene's separately using separate IQ-260 and IQ-260-TS controllers (I have both red brake and yellow turns in the top case). It took the better part of a day and the following morning, but I'm happy with it. So I second the idea of wiring the Skenes independently from the EZ-CAN.

I have a Denali CanSmart that is using all but one circuit and wanted to do something similar: add four Skene pods to the top case brake light bar. I searched for a way to make the CanSmart work, but since it is already fitted with connectors and I couldn't find the adapter I thought I saved, I gave up and wired all the Skene's separately using separate IQ-260 and IQ-260-TS controllers (I have both red brake and yellow turns in the top case). It took the better part of a day and the following morning, but I'm happy with it. So I second the idea of wiring the Skenes independently from the EZ-CAN.

I’m trying to tie into the BMW brake light for the top case that came already wired, but I’m having a hard time figuring out the wiring colors! They’re different from my 2016 RT and I can’t seem to find anything on the Internet referencing which color does what? Need help!

I’m trying to tie into the BMW brake light for the top case that came already wired, but I’m having a hard time figuring out the wiring colors! They’re different from my 2016 RT and I can’t seem to find anything on the Internet referencing which color does what? Need help!

I don't have a 19R1250RT but according to Real OEM your 16R1200RT takes the same top case, the wire is same. Did you have a central locking on your 16 RT?

I don't have a 19R1250RT but according to Real OEM your 16R1200RT takes the same top case, the wire is same. Did you have a central locking on your 16 RT?

No, it came without central locking and I was able to wire the top case with skene p3 lights.

No, it came without central locking and I was able to wire the top case with skene p3 lights.

Not having a R1250RT I can't look at it at this time. The wiring for the rear tail light is:

Blue/Black: Right turn signal
Blue/Red:Left turn signal
Grey/Red: Tail light
Grey Black with Yellow dot: Brake
Brown: Ground

Not having a R1250RT I can't look at it at this time. The wiring for the rear tail light is:

Blue/Black: Right turn signal
Blue/Red:Left turn signal
Grey/Red: Tail light
Grey Black with Yellow dot: Brake
Brown: Ground

Do you no which is power, I think it’s the red/gray but when I connect to it, the lights work the way there supposed to but they never shut off. It’s like that’s power on all the time! I’m confused, I no BMW STAY on for like a minute to 30 seconds, but these never go off. As you can tell I’m electrically challenged!

Do you no which is power, I think it’s the red/gray but when I connect to it, the lights work the way there supposed to but they never shut off. It’s like that’s power on all the time! I’m confused, I no BMW STAY on for like a minute to 30 seconds, but these never go off. As you can tell I’m electrically challenged!

Red/Grey is the tail light should be off when the bike is off.

I’ve attached a picture of the top case connector and wiring colors I’m trying to connect to the skene IQ-260. You can see where I cut the gray wire according to skene’s diagram, but the colors are different from his diagram.

Attachments

• 5E87CF0A-7134-4CCE-B4B9-27B530881311.jpg
    5E87CF0A-7134-4CCE-B4B9-27B530881311.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 133
I’ve attached a picture of the top case connector and wiring colors I’m trying to connect to the skene IQ-260. You can see where I cut the gray wire according to skene’s diagram, but the colors are different from his diagram.

I got it , tied into the rear power socket, it takes a minute to shut down but I can live with that!

New Flashing brake light on my R1250RT

I was hoping for some help . I am looking at adding a Strobes N' More E3 LED Light head https://www.strobesnmore.com/StrobesNMore-E3-LED-Lighthead.html#
for an addition brake light. This brake light has multiple flashing patterns that can be programed when you hook it up. I have mounted this light on a couple other bikes that I have. And these other bike are older w/o can bus system. So my question is can I tap directly into my existing wire harness on my 2019 R1250RT with this new light. Or do I need to use a can opener device. I know enough about electrical items to be dangerous. I am not an electrician. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Spec's for the Strobe N More are as follows : Volts 12/24 dc, current: .65 Amps max, .25 Amp AVG @ 12.8 Volts, Bulb: 3 Watt , 3 LEDs.
Also I have a auxiliary fuse box on my bike

I doubt it will work as the brake and tail light on the RT is the same bulb with lower power sent to it for tail light. The tail light actually gets a pulse wave modulation, of-on-off-on many times a second which dims the light output. For brakes the light gets full 12 volts.

Back