• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1150 servo brakes

2slowwheels

Off the wall question: is there an approximate number of miles when the servo brakes might start to have problems? Or is it more a matter of maintenance (and luck)? I've had a few 1150's with the whizzy brakes and never had an issue but none of those bikes went past the 35,000 mile mark while I owned them. I know there is lots of love/hate over this issue.

On my 1150 GSA they went for 88K miles without a hiccup. I sold the bike with those miles so I don't know what happened past that point. Maintenance is key and an annual brake flush is the best way to keep the system happy, clean and functioning.
Other folks will have different experiences I am sure, but usually failures happen mostly due to lack of maintenance IMHO..

Maintenance is key and an annual brake flush is the best way to keep the system happy, clean and functioning.....usually failures happen mostly due to lack of maintenance IMHO..

What he said.

Personally, I've had no issues whatsoever with two bikes that have the system.

If you have rubber brake hoses, get rid of them NOW.

Last edited:
As said, replace the OE rubber lines asap with SS Teflon.
Flush all 4 systems every year regardless of mileage.

On my 1150 GSA they went for 88K miles without a hiccup. I sold the bike with those miles so I don't know what happened past that point. Maintenance is key and an annual brake flush is the best way to keep the system happy, clean and functioning.
Other folks will have different experiences I am sure, but usually failures happen mostly due to lack of maintenance IMHO..

This was on an '02 K bike, but the same servo brakes, went 82K before the module died. I had replaced the brake lines previously, but was remiss in regular brake fluid flushing prior to that. I agree with the love/hate relationship with the brakes, when they work, they're wonderful, but when they die, they're just...well expensive.

Currently riding an '04 RT, replaced the brake lines and am keeping up with the regular yearly brake fluid flushing. Cheap preventative maintenance in my opinion.

Back