• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Nav VI install on K1300GT

gtrider

My 2018 GS came with Nav Prep so I broke down and bought a Nav VI with cradle, thinking I’d use a RAM mount to move the cradle to my other bikes. The cradle has TWO connector plugs- I assume one is just power and the other a data connection? I know the K1300GT has a gps power plug by the battery, but is there a place where the other connector ties in? I can use a BMW adapter cable to power the Nav VI on my airheads and brick-k, but if there’s a data tie-in on the K13GT that would display bike data like on the GS I’d like to use it. Pictures of the cradle and connectors are below:

Thanks,
DeVern

5870D63D-1F1D-403D-8099-D4B9CCD98301.jpeg

266E0868-1538-4377-BF1A-271F4464EB5F.jpeg

I thought the 2nd connector was for bikes with a audio system.

I guess that would make sense- it would be nice to have it confirmed. There were absolutely NO installation and wiring instructions with the gps, I haven’t been able to find any online, and I don’t have a service dvd for bikes that would have a sound system, like an RT or K1600GTL. The service dvd for the K1300GT doesn’t include wiring diagrams or service info on electronic add-ons except for an alarm system.

I assume the three-wire connector supplies power? Does the third wire handle data in that case?

Thanks,
DeVern

I tracked down the GPS connector in front of the battery on my K13GT. The three-wire connector is the only one present there, no connection visible for the two-wire connector. I then dug into my 2018 R1200GS that has Nav Prep installed, and discovered that the white connector hanging loose on the frame at the right front side, in front of the gas tank, is actually the second connector--the two-wire one--coming from the Nav Prep cradle. That would seem to support the two-wire connector being for use on bikes with a sound system.

So, on to the next question-- does anyone know the part number for the MALE connector for the Nav units? This is the male end of the 3-wire connector, already wired into the harness on the bike. I'd like to get a pair of those connectors and use them to rig my Nav VI 4-button cradle as a mobile unit. RealOEM lists various connectors with part numbers, but doesn't specify where each connector is used. Does anyone know which specific connector this would be, by part number?

Connectors can be viewed here: https://tinyurl.com/sgrh36l

Best,
DeVern

I like the fiche at Max BMW for some purposes, as they often include photos and notes about parts, like common usage and sometimes even instructions. Part numbers are in bold text:

plugs.jpg

Thank you! The connector on my bike does not exactly match the one shown in the MaxBMW fiche, the difference being in a tab inside the connector on the wiring harness, said tab aligning with a slot in the 585 female connector. But I'm going to order one an see if it fits regardless of the tab.

Thanks again,

DeVern

Back